Our beloved MPs and their well deserved expenses

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ethel_the_Aardvark, Oct 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read at the weekend that prior to today's publication of MP's expense claims, a large number of them had suddenly realised they had inadvertently made a few mistakes. They were apparently allowed to pay back the oversights with no further action taken. Now, call me Mr Picky but if someone in the forces so much as considers a false claim for £4.25 (or whatever a 5 hr NRSA claim is) then it's off the great big military hanging judge with a one way ticket to the outside world and loss of any pension accrued (and rightly so). Surely, our elected MPs should be above reproach and brimming with integrity. Sadly, it would appear that at least some of them are nothing more than a bunch of lying, money grabbing, self-serving, thieving gypsy bastards. Are these really the kind of people we want making life or death decisions on our behalf?

Or am I, perhaps, being unfair? :?

2. Saw some Labour MP trying to justify his colleagues' expenses, arguing that they would be earning much more had they continued in their original professions. He supplied the example of Major Eric Joyce, AGC(ETS) retd, who he argued would undoubtedly be a Colonel had he stayed in the Army...

3. Shit - there goes my theory then. Good old Eric. :(

4. I think it's the break down of these expenses that'll be interesting.
    Travel for wives and families plus accommodation in London during the sitting of the house.
    Even if you’re the MP for Islington...
    No wait not him, he doesn't have a wife...

:roll:

5. Why don't we pay our beloved politicians what they are worth, give the buggers an invoice each week :evil:

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Messrs Adams and McGuiness apparently claim over £100k each, despite not taking up their seats in Parliament.

Their share of the peace dividend, presumably.

7. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I thought it was called protection money. :evil: :evil:

8. True, but the Army's loss is Parliament's gain.

When the Press quote an unnamed "Labour member with military experience" you know they mean Eric, which is reassuring.

9. Surprise surprise, Eric is the second highest expense-claiming Scots MP.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041022/17/f52kc.html

10. Now let me get this straight. Is this guy implying that outrageously large expense claims are in some way being used to make up the difference between an MP's salary and the amount that they think they should be earning if they had not decided to go all altruistic and get themselves elected?

I was under the impression that expenses were a reimbursement of legitimate expenditure (yep, thought so -- the clue's in the title) necessary for the exercise of their elected office. This guy is therefore practically admitting that his colleagues' expense claims are being used as supplementary income.

Even if you allow enough latitude to this guy's argument, surely the correct response should be 'well eff off, start practising again and leave your seat open for someone who understands the financial implications of holding public office!'

...and how many of the high expenders have second jobs as non-exec directors etc?

11. Don't you blokes have a pecurinary interests register for all MPs to list the stocks and shares and other incomes that they receive :?:

12. The Inland Revenue tells me I cannot claim for travel to and from work, or costs to pay for weekday accommodation away from home other than away from the office as well... So why do MP's get it?

As far as I am concerned they knew what the going rate for the job is before they apply (Stand for election) so any comparison with what they could be earning is just smoke & mirrors.

If I had stayed in the army, wow I could be at least a ..............dream on

I wish I had half the allowances they get.

13. :arrow:
    :idea: Yes they do, but this report is not about 'nice little earners elsewhere or personnel wealth' only extras such as expenses and travel allowances, above their MP's salary, And get this! They do not need to show receipts for everything!!!! Interesting or what..... :roll:

I visited the Houses of Parliament this year, and there were 3 members sitting in the Commons but the House of Lords was half full!

I wondered why? For answer read on:

Ref: http://www.parliament.uk/works/lords.cfm#pallow

While I watched I saw severl members walk in sit down for a short while, and walk out again! How long attendance is needed? This is plus free 1st class rail travel which is not listed.

14. Working for companies doing real work in civvy street I had to account for absolutely everything. I could put in for a small amount of unreceipted expenses to cover things like coin operated drinks dispensers, etc. Even the meals that we had needed to have the breakdown of the food and drink involved, not just the credit card receipt.

The reasons for that were that the taxman would jump all over the company if we weren't seen to be excercising control and also that we needed to control the costs so that we were competitive. For some reason the MPs appear to not subject to the same rules and regulations in terms of tax as the rest of us mere mortals, nor are they subject to the same rules governing cost effectiveness.

If the rest of us tried to follow the same rules as MPs then the Fraud Squad would be down on us like a ton of bricks! :evil:

15. Eric Joyce, even if he had been promoted to Colonel (which would be a few years off probably) still wouldn't be on £152,861. I don't even think the CDS gets that (unless he's dual-trained as a tech :wink:)

Parliament votes for their own pay rise for chrissakes. The widow of an MP who dies in his mistress' bed gets more pension than the family of a soldier killed in action. Hmm...can you get an resettlement course to be an MP?!!!

PD