OUOTC at Pirbright this weekend

Harry_Hesh

Old-Salt
What a bit of a silly thread, however some good points and bad points on both sides of the argument.

All I'd say is - well done to Bravo Bravo for having the moral courage to make representation to the cadets regarding their hair/pudding issues. That said, why, upon reflection, do you choose to undermine your own maturity/moral courage by going on a website to whine and then brag about the problem/solution?

Perhaps they stole the pudding that you were to be rewarded with for being such a fine upstanding soldier?!

Chin up, eh?
 
Given that reply took the best part of a month to dream up, it really is astonishingly poor.

Squash head, indeed.
 
Hopkins said:
The_Green_Man said:
I know of several otc cadets who left the otc, went on tour and then returned to the otc.
Given that UOTC OCdts are not trained soldiers they would have to break all sorts of rules to do so.

I'm pretty sure OCdts are infact trained Soldiers when they pass MTQ(MDLP) 1? Hence the fact they are allowed to draw rifles and what not?
 
Mongoose said:
Hopkins said:
The_Green_Man said:
I know of several otc cadets who left the otc, went on tour and then returned to the otc.
Given that UOTC OCdts are not trained soldiers they would have to break all sorts of rules to do so.

I'm pretty sure OCdts are infact trained Soldiers when they pass MTQ(MDLP) 1? Hence the fact they are allowed to draw rifles and what not?
So you're saying that all those cadets who draw rifles are in fact trained soldiers as well?

MLDP 1 is basic skills; rifle, maps, admin in the field, basic fieldcraft. Anyone who claims to be a "trained soldier" based on that deserves to be pointed and laughed at. OCdts are not soldiers as they aren't deployable, and the aim of the OTC is not to produce trained soldiers, but to produce half-decent leaders.
 

SgtRabbi

Swinger
As a member of said unit, I do find it a little disappointing that some of our lot look like utter mongs when in uniform, with ridiculous hair, or unpolished boots, the list continues. Maybe I am a little too **** about these sorts of things, but that's just me. And, in theory at least, we are trained soldiers after passing MLDP1 (I think, rather than 2), however as Group B TA we cannot be deployed.

We do have a few people who have been on tour, though, including a guy who was attached to 2PARA during their particuarly nasty tour a year or so back. He returned to the OTC and is now taking his second year at uni.
 
I'd bet he was also a TA soldier, as well as OTC.
 
I don't give a f*ck what B_B thinks about OUOTC cadets and nor, I doubt, do the 3 other ex-members sitting next to me in senior posts in a certain operational HQ.

Wind your neck in, you war-dodging tw@t.
 
That'd be a bite, then.

Not saying you're thick or anything, but if I'm right, your point is that its OK for some OTC to look scruffy and nick food because I've not done a tour?

You really are dim, and given the time elapsed since the OP, clearly no master of the quick ripost

 
il give it to them that some of the OTC cadets try really hard and will make fantastic officers, but the majority of them are just mongs, the staff are really experienced, but cadets personal admin is shite, fitness is balls, most have no clue, until they have passed aosb and are being/have been commisioned they are just spoilt, overfunded ccf
 
Dilfor said:
I don't give a f*ck what B_B thinks about OUOTC cadets and nor, I doubt, do the 3 other ex-members sitting next to me in senior posts in a certain operational HQ.

Wind your neck in, you war-dodging tw@t.
Good evening Sir.

I've been thinking about the comments you've made here.

I naturally applaud you for deploying; as an RLC Officer you have an important, cerebral job without which the teeth arms could not function.

Would you mind sharing with us something - hope you don't mind me asking - what was it that made you decide to stop being a war-doding tw@t?




Dilfor said:
Made redundant end Dec, going to Afghanistan mid Feb.
 

overpromoted

Old-Salt
Tell me you didn't go searching through his old posts to find out these nuggets of information?

Edited to say, I think calling somebody a "war-dodging twat" is also out of order.
 
Bravo_Bravo said:
Dilfor said:
I don't give a f*ck what B_B thinks about OUOTC cadets and nor, I doubt, do the 3 other ex-members sitting next to me in senior posts in a certain operational HQ.

Wind your neck in, you war-dodging tw@t.
Good evening Sir.

I've been thinking about the comments you've made here.

I naturally applaud you for deploying; as an RLC Officer you have an important, cerebral job without which the teeth arms could not function.

Would you mind sharing with us something - hope you don't mind me asking - what was it that made you decide to stop being a war-doding tw@t?




Dilfor said:
Made redundant end Dec, going to Afghanistan mid Feb.
For some reason this has really irked me.

Seems quite amazing how such a simple comment from B_B can evoke such a vociferous reaction. End of the day if a uotc cadet volunteers to join and pulls on the uniform and accept MTDs, he/she/it should conform to the required standards. He/she/it should also understand exactly where they fit in, with regards to the bigger picture. In that the average TA Cfn contribute more than a section of them do. They are a bit of an anomaly and do generate interest wherever they rock up, and should behave and turn out accordingly. I certainly would have piped up and asked where I could find the Uotc DS.

Dilfor, in your senior command position, quite frankly, your attitude stinks. If you are the senior officer/nco that you purport to be, you need to give yourself a good shake. I would never speak to any of my soldiers in that manner. Addressing them, as a war dodging twat. Every single civvy that you bump into, do you brand them a war dodger? However, it’s just a personal view point on how I think my soldier’s best respond, and how I would like to them to view me. Would I really want them to see me sitting in a HQ slagging off folk? I think that, in my very own, humble, junior, opinion, were I to address my soldiers, or any soldier in that manner. I would consider myself the twat.

Caveat to say that, I was ex otc, I've not been abroad, am I a war dodging twat as well?
 

Bee_Gee.

Old-Salt
Bravo_Bravo's career and going on ops is not in question. There still has not been a a good reason for the shambolic state of dress and etiquette as seen on certain OTC cadets on that weekend.
 

stretchrgj

Clanker
I think 2 things can be made of this post....

Yes, the UOTC as a whole should put a bit more effort in to properly represent the uniform they wear. We're already aware that they're all slack... all students are old enough to join the TA, and can go for either officer or soldier at age 18. They don't need to worry about mobilisation, as full time education means they are exempt. So it is clear the only reasons they prefer to go OTC than TA are because either they don't know that the TA exists, or they would rather spend their evenings in a silly student drinking club than doing proper work. I don't see why said silly student drinking club gets to wear our and use our kit, ammunition, and food (aside of course from recruiting - remember without the OTC we would have a shortage of big-headed think-they're-TA-officer nawkers wanting to join the army) so those that do insist still on doing OTC, should remember they are wearing the same uniform as, and dining in the same messes as, hard working soldiers, and thus at the very least when in sight and earshot of said soldiers should show a little bit of effort to not look completely jack.

However;
I don't think you needed to post it on the forum. Having too long hair is unacceptable. As is a big pile of puddings (i assume this wasn't a PAYD mess?). And to be honest, I'd probably have a word as well. However, I'd come out the mess, thinking 'w--kers' to myself, probably tell a few of the lads, have a little giggle over their rubbishness and be done with it. I don't know if you were trying to name and shame a unit, or remind us all how much better you are; but in fairness, everyone knows the OTC are jack, and nobody needs you blowing your own trumpet (im not saying you were, im asking were you?). I don't think, on the whole, we needed telling about it. It wasn't that exciting (there were no explosions), it wasn't that outrageous (nobody killed anyone or s--gged anyone that filthy) and it wasn't really that much different to what we see with the OTC every time we see them anywhere.

I don't think whether you've been on ops or not matters. I'm sure you have background to your decisions not to go; and will go in due course if and when you feel that it is suitable for you. Certainly no student OTC tit has the right to go telling you to get out the army for it. He's not even in the army as much as he likes to think so.

Lets just get over it. big deal some kid had too much hair, and another had too many puddings. sod it. get on with life. bigger things happen. ignore the OTC, they don't affect our lives, and the more they act like that the more they get such a reputation. but i think its time to calm down and forget about this one.
 

Hopkins

Old-Salt
BeastAppreciationSociety. said:
For some reason this has really irked me.

Seems quite amazing how such a simple comment from B_B can evoke such a vociferous reaction. End of the day if a uotc cadet volunteers to join and pulls on the uniform and accept MTDs, he/she/it should conform to the required standards. He/she/it should also understand exactly where they fit in, with regards to the bigger picture. In that the average TA Cfn contribute more than a section of them do. They are a bit of an anomaly and do generate interest wherever they rock up, and should behave and turn out accordingly. I certainly would have piped up and asked where I could find the Uotc DS.

Dilfor, in your senior command position, quite frankly, your attitude stinks. If you are the senior officer/nco that you purport to be, you need to give yourself a good shake. I would never speak to any of my soldiers in that manner. Addressing them, as a war dodging twat. Every single civvy that you bump into, do you brand them a war dodger? However, it’s just a personal view point on how I think my soldier’s best respond, and how I would like to them to view me. Would I really want them to see me sitting in a HQ slagging off folk? I think that, in my very own, humble, junior, opinion, were I to address my soldiers, or any soldier in that manner. I would consider myself the twat.

Caveat to say that, I was ex otc, I've not been abroad, am I a war dodging twat as well?
Hear, hear
 

Latest Threads

Top