OUOTC at Pirbright this weekend

theprior

War Hero
Chaps, at the end of the day scruffiness in uniform isn't acceptable because the OTC is part of the TA, like it or not, and is subject to the same rules and regulations. I would bollocks my lads if they were scruffy and if these UOTC guys did get bollocked, then fine. Fact is that too many OCdts look untidy and that does irk people. Furthermore if cutting around in civvie street the average chap on the street sees only a soldier, no distinction between OTC and Regs or TA. Chip or no chip Bravo_Bravo is right.

R.D.D.

Old-Salt
I note you still haven't responded to my point- they are only just OTC cadets (it being only January) and haven't yet passed any of their quals. When I see a soldier walking down the road in kit, listening to an ipod, or generally not looking as their NCO at Pirbright would expect, am I then to bitch about their entire unit in public? Or, better yet, bitch about the entire army on the back of it?
Their error was dealt with on the night in question- so no, they didn't get away with it.
I do believe that I agree with Green_man, and that you may have a teensy weensy axe to grind here. How about a rant about how you have to be hugely wealthy to get to Oxford? Or that all students do is steal your hard-earned money, and they should get back down the pits or up the chimneys where young whipper-snappers belong? Don't think you will be saying anything new, as you haven't yet about the OTC.

Hopkins

Old-Salt
The_Green_Man said:
AI? Nope wrong again. I have nothing to do with the cadets or otc.

As to your questions

No the otc are not exempt from dress regs and they should look at the very least presentable but I suspect it's fairly difficult to enforce al the time. However, I would also suggest that it's up the otc staff to enforce this and if you have a problem with it use their chain of command.

No the otc aren't allowed to steal food but taking an extra pudding is hardly crime of the century. Again if you were bothered by such a heinous and despicable crime use their chain of command. I'm sure you've never taken an extra pudding being the fine upstanding example of a soldier that you are. Did the mod base their new line of action man toys on you?
Really, why? Don't AGAI apply?

UOTC are a bunch of wasters, walts and wannabes. Any student who in interested in soldiering in their spare time can join the TA proper these days. UOTC is pretty honest about the type it wants to attract - the MoD website describes it as ""a University/ College club with a great and varied social life" with "...some of the cheapest drink on campus." - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_Training_Corps .

R.D.D. said:
I note you still haven't responded to my point- they are only just OTC cadets (it being only January) and haven't yet passed any of their quals.
I viewed ypur post as more of a statement than discourse whch is why I did not reply. I have no idea about the importance of timings but would note that they have had enough time to be issued C95.

When I see a soldier walking down the road in kit, listening to an ipod, or generally not looking as their NCO at Pirbright would expect, am I then to bitch about their entire unit in public? Or, better yet, bitch about the entire army on the back of it?
I'd guess about half of the OTC lot had wighats on, not just the odd one or two.

Their error was dealt with on the night in question- so no, they didn't get away with it.

food theft or dress regs?

I do believe that I agree with Green_man, and that you may have a teensy weensy axe to grind here.
I just say it as I see it. I know a fair few officers who are ex-OTC, and very fine they are too. I

How about a rant about how you have to be hugely wealthy to get to Oxford? Or that all students do is steal your hard-earned money, and they should get back down the pits or up the chimneys where young whipper-snappers belong?]/quote]

Of nil relevance to ARRSE, so no point.

Don't think you will be saying anything new, as you haven't yet about the OTC.
well actually I've never mentioned these two issues before.

The_Green_Man said:
I suspect it's fairly difficult to enforce al the time.
How about, on the Drill night before the weekend -

"Those of you who turn up on friday night with big hair will not be allowed to attend the weekend"?

Not exactly hard, is it?

ubuntu

Old-Salt
Bravo_Bravo said:
R.D.D. said:
I note you still haven't responded to my point- they are only just OTC cadets (it being only January) and haven't yet passed any of their quals.
I viewed ypur post as more of a statement than discourse whch is why I did not reply. I have no idea about the importance of timings but would note that they have had enough time to be issued C95.

When I see a soldier walking down the road in kit, listening to an ipod, or generally not looking as their NCO at Pirbright would expect, am I then to bitch about their entire unit in public? Or, better yet, bitch about the entire army on the back of it?
I'd guess about half of the OTC lot had wighats on, not just the odd one or two.

food theft or dress regs?

I do believe that I agree with Green_man, and that you may have a teensy weensy axe to grind here.
I just say it as I see it. I know a fair few officers who are ex-OTC, and very fine they are too. I

How about a rant about how you have to be hugely wealthy to get to Oxford? Or that all students do is steal your hard-earned money, and they should get back down the pits or up the chimneys where young whipper-snappers belong?]/quote]

Of nil relevance to ARRSE, so no point.

Don't think you will be saying anything new, as you haven't yet about the OTC.
well actually I've never mentioned these two issues before.
About as relevant as one civvy having a go at three other civvys for nicking food and having a scruffy barnet?

Hopkins

Old-Salt
R.D.D. said:
I note you still haven't responded to my point- they are only just OTC cadets (it being only January) and haven't yet passed any of their quals. When I see a soldier walking down the road in kit, listening to an ipod, or generally not looking as their NCO at Pirbright would expect, am I then to bitch about their entire unit in public? Or, better yet, bitch about the entire army on the back of it?
So they're in much the same position as Phase 1 recruits in the rest of the Army then? That being the case they (and more importantly their instructors) anywhere else would be expected to be turned out an behaving in an exemplary manner. Yes if recruits and instructors at an ATR/RTC were to behave in the manner that these OTC recruits did it would reflect on said ATR/RTC as a whole.

Ubuntu you've bodged the quote thing.

BTW, I've not actually said that I mentioned hair length to the wee dears.

Because I did not,

ubuntu

Old-Salt
Bravo_Bravo said:
Ubuntu you've bodged the quote thing.

BTW, I've not actually said that I mentioned hair length to the wee dears.

Because I did not,
OK, you're a pedantic cunt, so let's be pedantic. What was the correct course of action and what did you do wrong? How do you think you could have improved upon your response to the situation? What values did you show and were you basically fair in your actions?

Another thing BB,

Have you ever taken that extra sausage at breakfast?Worn a non issue bit of clothing?Or worn issue clothes in a no regulation manner?

oh, noes; my secret is out.

Hopkins

Old-Salt
The_Green_Man said:
Cpt_Darling said:
Another thing BB,

Have you ever taken that extra sausage at breakfast?Worn a non issue bit of clothing?Or worn issue clothes in a no regulation manner?
Or been on tour?
At least he has a mobilisation liability and could be called on to do so.

UOTC - a complete waste of Taxpayer's money. Not even harmless as the real 'future leaders of industry' at university see them and think that they typify the whole of the army.

Bravo_Bravo said:
Big student hair and HM Uniform really do not mix, and if you are dim enough to be in the cookhouse with seven puddings between three of you then you can expect to get picked up.

Not impressed.
They do in the Cavalry...........

overpromoted

Old-Salt
1: Isn't there already a thread on whether or not the OTC are a waste of taxpayer's money?

2: If you posted on, for example, the Sapper forum telling everyone how you saw some guys from xx engineer regt with poor dress standards and too much pudding, what do you think the response from the sappers would be?

They'd man up and do something about it, not whine and bleat like students. Not that anyone would need to say anything, Sappers being pretty professional in the main.

Btw, its not "too much pudding", its theft.

ubuntu

Old-Salt
Bravo_Bravo said:
They'd man up and do something about it, not whine and bleat like students. Not that anyone would need to say anything, Sappers being pretty professional in the main.

Btw, its not "too much pudding", its theft.
You're doing wonders for the reputation of the TA, by the way. The TA really needs a petty, insignificant, whining, tour dodging waste of uniform with an inferiority complex as an ambassador.

Bleat, whine, bleat.

The fact that your only "response" ( three times now? ) is that I'm a tour dodger says somewhat more about your inferiority complex than anything else.

Man up, deal with it.

theprior said:
Chaps, at the end of the day scruffiness in uniform isn't acceptable because the OTC is part of the TA, like it or not, and is subject to the same rules and regulations. I would balls my lads if they were scruffy and if these UOTC guys did get bollocked, then fine. Fact is that too many OCdts look untidy and that does irk people. Furthermore if cutting around in civvie street the average chap on the street sees only a soldier, no distinction between OTC and Regs or TA. Chip or no chip Bravo_Bravo is right.
Exactly. They are paid for what they do (can't really call it work) and so they have an obligation to met the standards. Those who just want to get drunk should stay in the students' union.

ubuntu

Old-Salt
Bravo_Bravo said:
Bleat, whine, bleat.

The fact that your only "response" ( three times now? ) is that I'm a tour dodger says somewhat more about your inferiority complex than anything else.

Man up, deal with it.
I just have a serious issue with someone as low down the career food chain as you criticising young people who may one day become officers. Given that that's something you will never attain to, it seems a bit off.

Latest Threads