Ouch

mark1234 said:
ok serious answer, I think you are being a wimp and there's times (if you plan to join the regs/ta) you will need to run or tab after frank boff or a night on the p!ss, or just because you were forced to drink a full water bottle and you will get stitch, so you may as well get used to it now.

That being said, it's up to you to decide how bad it is, asking medical advice over t'internet is not the way to go.

If it really is a serious injury go see a doctor mate.
Quite true but looking beyond the lad getting a stitch he has been hammering it fairly hard so ought to take a couple of days off in my view.

Yes, you can run through a stitch but when you're on your arrse because you've been overdoing it there's not much point.

There's ;loads of info on stitch here:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=11655
The suggestion about strengthening your abs rings true. I haven't had a stitch since I've been doing circuit training which involves lots of sit ups and crunches. 450 fckin crunches last week!

Don't forget to work on your breathing too, stitch can happen (IIRC) when you breath erratically and get into an oxygen debt, the muscles then start producing excess lactic acid which causes stitch.

What I do is get into a rythem to match the movement of my feet, I breath in and out on certain steps, I do this naturally now without even thinking about it, but sometimes I realise I haven't been doing it and that's when I get stitch.

Mr_Deputy said:
kingburn_99 said:
British Medical Journal: 16th September 2003

"Heroin causes stomach pains whilst running, especially over distances of 2.4km"
is that when the condoms start to split?

so ideally keep any confrontations with/escapes from customs at under two Kms?
hahaha man i love this forum.

EX_STAB said:
450 fckin crunches last week!
I've been doing 190 a night, which is why I think I may be overdoing it slightly..

Well thanks for the advice guys. I've been resting today, so all should be well tomorrow =D

Matty0001 said:
mcclurg said:
EX_STAB said:
I've been doing 190 a night, which is why I think I may be overdoing it slightly..

Well thanks for the advice guys. I've been resting today, so all should be well tomorrow =D
Whats the deal with fcukin crunches? They do s*** all.
Sure they're not a substitute for sit ups and I always took your view too but performed as a "short sit-up" with lots of reps as part of circuit training I did really start to feel them.

We did 10 at every circuit (in addition to whatever the exercise was) and then 300 at the end.

Thinking about it we must have done more than 450.

Doing a few as a standalone exercise routine wouldn't be worth the bother though I would agree.

EX_STAB said:
Matty0001 said:
mcclurg said:
EX_STAB said:

Sure they're not a substitute for sit ups and I always took your view too but performed as a "short sit-up" with lots of reps as part of circuit training I did really start to feel them.

We did 10 at every circuit (in addition to whatever the exercise was) and then 300 at the end.

Doing a few as a standalone exercise routine wouldn't be worth the bother though I would agree.
Well, when I say crunches, I really mean abdominal exercises. I think it's important to vary the abs exercises you do. Apparently situps actually do more for your quads than they do for your abs...

I do:

Knees to chest
Alternate elbow to knee
Half sits

The first is like leg raises, the 2nd is kind of like crunches, but more painful! The third is basically half a situp (which frankly, is a lot more difficult)

mcclurg said:
EX_STAB said:
Matty0001 said:
mcclurg said:
EX_STAB said:

Well, when I say crunches, I really mean abdominal exercises. I think it's important to vary the abs exercises you do. Apparently situps actually do more for your quads than they do for your abs...

I do:

Knees to chest
Alternate elbow to knee
Half sits

The first is like leg raises, the 2nd is kind of like crunches, but more painful! The third is basically half a situp (which frankly, is a lot more difficult)
Crunches / Sit ups, they're all the same. They dont do anything for your legs and can lead to lower back pain. Crunches are just a pathetic attempt at building a stronger core, where they're are loads more effective exercises to use instead to strengthen it. The most effective crunch you can do is one on a gym ball.

mcclurg said:
EX_STAB said:
Matty0001 said:
mcclurg said:
EX_STAB said:

I do:

Knees to chest
Alternate elbow to knee
Half sits

Hip flexors more then quads.

But I would say incline situps (30-50 degrees), russian twists off a roman chair if you can find one and leg raises.
For more fun, full range dragon flags (I'm sure there are other names for this, but I don't know any off the tope of my head) and standing ab wheel roll outs

Ian1983 said:

But I would say incline situps (30-50 degrees), russian twists off a roman chair if you can find one and leg raises.
For more fun, full range dragon flags (I'm sure there are other names for this, but I don't know any off the tope of my head) and standing ab wheel roll outs
You're right about the hip flexors.

As for the rest of it, could you speak english? =P

Simple test.
Leave the abs for a few days, you may well have overstrained.
Find an instructor who can show you, do variety with abs, concentrating on only one type isn't complete.
try a day in the swimming-pool, that will give you exercise and will show you if you have strained your abs. -Sounds strange but effective.

Mr_Deputy said:
for abs do what boxers call 'bastards' where lie on your back, palms flat on the floor, you lift your legs up with heels together, hold them there, raising and very slowly lowering - helps to count 5-10 seconds for example on each rep. do slow reps for as long as you can and then some more.

this will have you sweating, groaning, shaking etc if you do it right
Variation of leg raises.

Different workload and ROM but basically the same thing

mcclurg said:
Ian1983 said:

You're right about the hip flexors.

As for the rest of it, could you speak english? =P
I know :)

Dragon flags- I don't want to go down the 'rocky did it route', but you know the thing he did in number 4 I think against drago. Lower body (including lower back) off the support, touch the heels to the floor and then back up again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCMq2zkbOo

He's being a bit lazy though, I have more of a curve in the spine but you get the idea.

Ab roll outs- http://www.beastskills.com/AbWheel.htm

Mr_Deputy said:
for abs do what boxers call 'bastards' where lie on your back, palms flat on the floor, you lift your legs up with heels together, hold them there, raising and very slowly lowering - helps to count 5-10 seconds for example on each rep. do slow reps for as long as you can and then some more.

this will have you sweating, groaning, shaking etc if you do it right
Been there, done that :p They certainly are bastards, but I'm quite used to them now.

mcclurg said:
Ian1983 said:
Dragon flags- I don't want to go down the 'rocky did it route', but you know the thing he did in number 4 I think against drago. Lower body (including lower back) off the support, touch the heels to the floor and then back up again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCMq2zkbOo

He's being a bit lazy though, I have more of a curve in the spine but you get the idea.

Ab roll outs- http://www.beastskills.com/AbWheel.htm

Holy hell. They look sore..
Meh

Nothing special

My core quite strong though so I don't usually have any issue with pure brute strength stuff. Doing hundreds of situps can be a issue though, if nothing else due to the pure volume that my body isn't used to.

Ab roll outs are worse though

Haha. They look it.

Just back in from a run there. Kept the pace nice and steady, my abs were fine =D minor stitch toward the end, but other than that, it was grand.

Cheers for the advice lads (Y)

Latest Threads