Discussion in 'Infantry' started by hackle, Nov 29, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Black Watch commander speaks out for new regiment ... and serving soldiers allegedly contact newspaper to disagree. See below. Full story at http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/28804.html

I for one will not criticise Col Cowan, who has enough on his plate at the moment. I was slightly surprised when he felt it necessary to make his statement before any decision had been announced: I would have thought that would be the time to speak out and ask everyone to rally round. The claim to be speaking on behalf of everyone in the Battalion was surely tempting fate: the media and the campaigners then only needed one phone call from a disgruntled soldier in order to to rubbish Col Cowan's comments.

Whether you agree with it or not, the case for combining single-battalion regiments in larger groupings has never really been argued convincingly; even on this fine website, most of the supporters of change have founded their case on Jock-bashing: hardly any of them has actually attempted to argue that "the new arrangements will be better for you and your regiment".

I still find it remarkable that it has been mostly the Jocks on this site who have bothered to speak up on behalf of the English "single battalion capbadges": I suppose that is because we who hail from north of the border are less nationalistic, and more cooperative. Perhaps we are just too nice sometimes for our own good? :wink:

Back to the debate: feelings ran very high at the time of the disbandments 10 years ago, but I dont remember it getting so personal, or so divisive within the Army.

2. Poor Cowan. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, what an invidious position he's in. I am sure he would like to rail against the proposal to do away with his regiment, yet his duty as an officer (not to mention self preservation) compels him to toe the (Jackson) party line. He is undoubtedly a fine officer with a reputation as outstanding as the battalion he commands. Unfortunately his standing, as a direct result of his insensitive remarks, among the "Old & Bold" of his regiment is lower than a snake's ass.

Whatever happens to our Scottish regiments, and I take pride in having served in one, the memoirs of the officers commanding the affected battalions recounting the debacle, the subterfuge and political in-fighting, will make interesting reading in the years to come.

I imagine several officers have done their careers irreparable harm by protesting. POD is sharpening his knife as we write!