OU Degree

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Squiggers, Sep 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are OU degrees taken into account during the application process?

I've spoken to the local army recruitment officer, who told me that I can technically apply using just my a-levels (I've got 200 UCAS points, the advised is about 230-240 apparantly), but I've heard quite a few on these boards and elsewhere state that theres a significant pay difference between those who have degrees, and those that don't?

With my current grades (Which are mostly C grades), I'm going to find it hard to get into a decent university and a decent course - hence why I'm trying to find out if Open University Courses/degrees count for anything in the application?
  2. OU degree us a degree like any other, they are very well thought of in the real world so to speak. They also show that you have the right stuff for want of a better description, good time management skills, self motivation, application all of which will serve you well, it ain't a soft option though.
  3. If you're looking at OU study bare in mind its part time, so can usually takes 5 years or more depending on how the structure of the degree you're working towards (I managed to choose virtually all 30 credit modules so it's taking forever) but they do also set limits to how many credits you can study towards at any one time so speeding up the process is harder. TBH I'd be looking at full time uni study and working my arrse off to get a good degree classification.
  4. An OU degree has exactly the same value as one from any other UK University.
  5. If you have someone to support you it is still possible to do 'full time' study with the OU. They class 120 points per year as full time study and means you can get an Honours Degree in 3 years. Mine took a lot longer and I would suggest that if you are in full-time employment any more than 60 points per year is more than enough.

As has been mentioned, an OU degree is no less an achievement than any other. In fact, having been able to stick at it, fitting your studies over years around a job, family, a social life and other commitments is seen by many employers as a sign of good time management, determination and commitment.

It's getting busy though. The average age of OU student has dropped and some courses are full, as many school leavers who couldn't get places in the over subscribed universities are choosing the OU rather than forego higher education.

Go for it, but as has also been mentioned before, it's by no means the 'soft' option that people expect.
  6. Yeah, I know how much hard work they are - 2 members of my family have done several courses via them - so I wouldn't be going in and getting a nasty shock about the workload at least.

Cheers for the info guys, glad to know that they would be regarded as useful. :)
  7. Just to follow on from this - would individual courses also be useful/worth putting on the 711?