OTTABURN CAMP

Christ sake, is it me or is this years Lothain and borders annual camp been the mother of all fek ups?

I have been down there for the first week and i couldn't believe how lax it was. not just that but the red book seamed to be running the show. what does it matter if it is so hot, as long as the cadets have water constantsly going into them they will be ok.

fcuk annual camps in the future likes, so far i'm concideringt leaving the army cadets as it all seams to be a waste of time.

not only that but how can a grown man be expected to live on
1 baken
1sasage
1toast
1egg
and 19 beans?

please feel free to re4ply

drilller said:
I have been down there for the first week and i couldn't believe how lax it was. not just that but the red book seamed to be running the show. what does it matter if it is so hot, as long as the cadets have water constantsly going into them they will be ok.
Your knowledge of heat casualty prevention is quite remarkable. You should be Commander Med. in Basra...

drilller said:
1 baken
1sasage
1toast
1egg
and 19 beans?
How can a grown man write like an illiterate zombie, even on such allegedly meagre breakfasts?? Why did you count the beans?

Driller,

Unfortunately, in the current legal minefield we live in you have to be especially careful to follow the red book. It is also commonsense that if it is hot weather, you stand over the cadets and make them drink on command - if you don't, some of them won't bother and will end in the med centre.

For someone who spent a week at camp, I'm surprised it didn't notice it was 'Otterburn' instead of 'Ottaburn'.

We work at Otterburn a lot and have had no complaints with the catering. If you had any complaints you should have raised them at the time because I know Landmarc, who have the camp catering contract, will try and resolve any problems ASAP.

drilller said:
Christ sake, is it me or is this years Lothain and borders annual camp been the mother of all fek ups?
Yep, it's just you. FFS no camp ever runs 100% smoothly & as previously pointed out it's an even bigger minefield when kids are involved. I was there the first week too and have seen camps with an awful lot less organisation and an awful lot more hassle. Stop whinging like a spoiled brat & get over it - after all I've NEVER seen weather like that at Otterburn before, the weather was as good or not better than Weymouth.

Then again you'd probably be whinging just as much if the weather had been typical for Otterburn.... I can just imagine it .... "Oh no, the cadets are at risk from frost bite/exposure - sod it, just make them wear 2 pairs of socks and their gloves!"

Yeah Woody, Sodexho no longer. I think they lost the contract about 2 years ago now. I can testify that Landmarc food isn't as good as Sodexho's, but it is still okay most of the time.

I must say, I think it is bad form Driller to air your grievances with your County in public - especially when you have identified which County that is! I know it has been very very hot in Northumberland in the past week, so I completely understand why your camp has been at a slower pace.

driller,

Yes, the Red Book DOES "run the show" not just for the sake of the Cadets themselves but also for the protection of the Adult Instructors.

"Dear Mummy and Daddy of Cadet Bloggs, sorry we sent him back all burnt and crisp, sorry he had to be hospitalized and sorry he is suffering from skin cancer but AI driller said it would be okay........."

Water Intake levels are of course vital. You quite rightly assert that we should keep putting water into the Cadets. We have COMPULSORY water breaks for that reason. Problem is old chap that no matter how hydrated a Cadet is the sun still likes to burn his or her skin and give them a nasty headache due to sun stroke. Yes, even with "beanie" hats, yes, even with "covered necks" and what about the nasty issue of skin cancer? There are lots of reasons for stopping training. Not least of which is that even adults wilt after prolonged exposure to the sun day in day out. Small people are even more prone to "feeling poorly miss" so there we are.

Food. Bean counting is the sure sign of skip licker. Stop whinging about it and go to nearest shop for goodies. Bellingham has plenty as I recall. Otterburn itself even has a shop. In the event that you cannot get to a shop then STARVE and be an adult about it.

Sometimes we have to do the unpopular, sometimes we have to put up with crap, sometimes we disagree with our leaders but hey, that is part of the job is it not?

Leaving the ACF? well, if you like, see you then, bye.

can i just make this 100% clear i didn't actually count the amount of beans, i heard that the adults were ament to getr that much in practise admitedly it was more like half a can 2 of everything.

i'm not disagreeing with the fact the red book is a good thing to keep AIs safe but i'm saying that it is a complete and utter waste of time.

for example
Cadets under the age of should not be out past 26deg.C
cadets older than cannot be out past 27deg.C

I am only, so unhappy with the weather because we had to go by the red book. I know for a fact that two cadets went running off their own back on Monday evening in 27+ and nobody tried to stop them.

As for tipical Otterburn weather I would have loved it to have been pishing it down and all that as we may have actually got some training done.

Burnt cadets???

so that is why they were all made to apply sunblock atleast 6 times a day.

Quick Question:
Is sun str5oke not caused by the lack of sun protection and a lack of water :?:

not intending to come over smart as i know it is probably wrong it is a honnest question

drilller said:
can i just make this 100% clear i didn't actually count the amount of beans, i heard that the adults were ament to getr that much in practise admitedly it was more like half a can 2 of everything.

i'm not disagreeing with the fact the red book is a good thing to keep AIs safe but i'm saying that it is a complete and utter waste of time.

for example
Cadets under the age of should not be out past 26deg.C
cadets older than cannot be out past 27deg.C

I am only, so unhappy with the weather because we had to go by the red book. I know for a fact that two cadets went running off their own back on Monday evening in 27+ and nobody tried to stop them.

As for tipical Otterburn weather I would have loved it to have been pishing it down and all that as we may have actually got some training done.

Burnt cadets???

so that is why they were all made to apply sunblock atleast 6 times a day.

Quick Question:
Is sun str5oke not caused by the lack of sun protection and a lack of water :?:

not intending to come over smart as i know it is probably wrong it is a honnest question
driller - points taken but:

Why is Red Book a waste of time?

No matter how much sun block cadets apply, no matter how much water they drink they still get knackered by heat.

quick quote from medics:

"heatstroke" and "sunstroke," occur when your body can't keep itself cool. As the air temperature rises, your body stays cool when your sweat evaporates. On hot, humid days, the evaporation of sweat is slowed by the increased moisture in the air. When sweating isn't enough to cool your body, your body temperature rises, and you may become ill.

Note that therefore if you overheat it matters not a jot how much water you have drunk or how liberally you smothered yourself in sun protection.

Ref food - someone telling you that you are supposed to get 19 beans is taking the mick old chap.

Perhaps your County should have spoken to God and booked cooler weather?

drilller said:
Ah-ha..so you think that "if it's not raining, it's not training"? The bloke next to you had 21 beans...I counted them and he had an extra toast.

drilller said:

fcuk annual camps in the future likes, so far i'm concideringt leaving the army cadets as it all seams to be a waste of time.

1 baken
1sasage
1toast
1egg
and 19 beans?

please feel free to re4ply
That's very nice of you. My response (in words you may understand):

Seams like a waist of rashuns to me.

Goodbyeeeee!

you really are illiterate.

are you sure that you should be in charge of a bag of chips? you contradict yourself with reference to the red book which you describe as both 'a good thing' and a 'waste of time' in one sentence.

you do actually realise that you 'work' for a youth organisation? you do know that military training isn't actually the be all and end all of life in the ACF/ATC/CCF and that the main purpose of these organisations is to get kids out of shitholes and to help them develop real life skills like self-discipline, taking responsibility for themselves and for those in their charge and to show them that life is bigger and wider than drinking buckfast down the swings and getting pregnant at 15?

so the kids had a week in the sun with their friends, i assume your units officers and senior staff were able to claw together more activities than 'running around being all warry' and that the camp was therefore not spent thieving from the shop and cleaning rifles 10 times a day.

they had a holiday in the sun for what: £30? good, i hope they enjoyed it and decided to stay on in the ACF as adults. perhaps they can put a sentence together, spell above the level of an 8 year old and give some of these kids some fantastic experiences of life - rather than use kids to fulfil their own rather sad 'mittyesque' understanding of the purpose of these youth organisations.

Drilller (are there really 3 Ls?): It may surprise you, but the rations you describe are pretty standard throughout the Army as a SOLDIER'S breakfast ration. You'll have noticed that bread, margarine and jam (and, if you're really lucky, Marmite) are laid out as well. These aren't usually rationed and are there to top-up if you're hungry.
Lunch is a light meal, intended to keep you going. The evening meal is the big one, but then again it has to be as it provides sustenance for the next 14 hours.

When my son was in the ACF, in the evening he used to order delivery pizza from the guardroom phone at the various camps he went to, much the same as real soldiers do. Granted, you may find difficulty getting a pizza delivered to Otterburn but it shouldn't be too difficult to organise a fish & chip run into Rothbury.

Others have covered the issue regarding heat, so I won't go much further on the subject, other than to say that you should consider the scale. Most cadets are probably about half your body weight, so try loading yourself up with twice the amount of kit and then run up and down the gently sloping countryside. You'll also find that if you keep loading yourself with water, you'll collapse because you sweat out electrolytes that aren't being replaced.

I'm not going to advocate that you quit because you're a danger to others. Hopefully you will have learned something from the replies. If you can be big enough to knock the chip off your shoulder and see about getting some proper leadership training, there's no reason why you can't yet be an asset to your cadet unit.

Driller. My view is that you seemed to have forgotten that the ACF is a YOUTH ORGANISATION, along the same lines as the BB's And Scouts( to name two ). The Ai's are there to give the kids ( thats what they are ) something to focus on apart from being little Neds. For most kids the 2 weeks away is the only holiday that they might get. !They want to have fun!, yes the kids enjoy playing soldiers (that is what they do) but ragging 13-18yr olds over Otterburn trg area is not the future. On the food front, what do the cadets get to eat?. I can assume that they do not get the same as the Ai's( I was A cadet once ). I have since learned that the juniors get fed first then the seniors. Try enforcing that in the Ai's Scoff House.

you also said that the Red Book is a waste of time, the Red Book is there to protect "CHILDREN" from Arsehol£s like YOU!!!!!.

Get A Fecking Life.

Drilller, some good posts in reply. Get on the learning curve, takes time but do it. Part and parcel of being a Youth Leader whether you have previously been a Soldier or not is learning how to solve problems, adapt and overcome. There is usually an alternative and having the skills to find a suitable workaround applies not only to training but to the provision of food also.

Latest Threads