Other Tours available to TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by willdawe, Dec 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Peeps

Just wondering, but are there any other opportunities for the TA to get a tour in anywhere but Iraq or Afghanistan? How are the Balkans/Cyprus/etc etc?

2. msr

msr LE

Ask your PSAO for the current list of trawls.

msr

3. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

Cypress is certainly possible. Got a few guys from my unit on an FTRS with 39 over there now. Have a chat with your SPSI and see if they can dig up a list of FTRS vacancies.

4. What sort of rank would most FTRS's be filled by? I heard that the majority of them are filled by SNCO's and some by JNCO's but would like to hear what more experienced people know about it.

5. FTRS posts are usually advertised within a certain rank range, there are lots for the most senior SNCO's WOII but also a large amount for junior NCO's, its the Sgt slots which seem few and far between.

Officer posts are abundant, lots in "jobs for the boys" type roles.

I understand you can volunteer for a post at a slightly higher rank and if accepted you do the job in the rank specified in the trawl. You can also drop a rank as well to ensure you get a job, if your desperate.

Apart from jobs specific to your capbadge there are a lot of generic E2 jobs for any capbadge.

Beware! FTRS is not like mobilisation, the process is long, drawn out and highly inefficient. Communications between the FTRS desk at Glasgow and candidate are nightmarish, worse still between the FTRS Desk and the unit with the vacancy and at best questionable between the unit and candidate. Be prepared to be buggered about in best army tradition if you do apply.

here are some examples. I applied for an SQMS job in Arborfield, waas told by the FTRS desk that I was to be called forward and then nothing, I waitied and waited, I asked if I should contactthe unit directly and was told not to. Eventually in sheer frustration I contacted Arborfield to be told by them that the vacancy had been de-established several months before.

Then I saw a vacancy at HQ Land for Media Ops (V). since I was there I popped my head round the corner to ask about it to be told the job had gone but there was one with regular Media Ops. The FTRS desk had no details of the job and had not advertised it. I applied, was shortlisted, sat the interview and heard nothing more.

Next I applied for an open med supply post. I applied, got a letter from FTRS offering me a job, subject to clearance at RTMC, a job. The squadron did not exist! later it was decided the Regiment in question had no vacancy. Another post was found, I went up met the OC, 2ic, SSM and got on very well. That was in September. delay followed delay, paperwork at Glasgow went missing and the whole thing ground to a halt. RTMC said they could not load me onto a course until january 07. I was contacted by the unit who asked if I would go on OPTAG with them, which I did and they also requested that rather than wait until January I could start FTRS straight away and train with the guys I would deploy with via the Regimental Training Team (it is a regular unit). RTMC refused and said I could not start FTRS until I had done their course.

Later I was contacted by FTRS Glasgow, who said I could start with the unit as soon as I had been through RTMC induction day prior to going on the RTMC course. By this stage I had a civvi job over the holday period.
    Since then I have managed to break both my ankle and tooth, the ankle is getting better, the tooth I am waiting for a dentists appointment to get fixed, either could fail me at RTMC.

After mnearly six months I am as far from starting the FTRS post as I was when I first applied.

In short FTRS is a bloody nightmare, slow, unmotivated and inefficient. By contrast Mobilisation is quick, easy and efficient.

Cardinal

6. Any of you old TIGERs out there may be interested to know that the TIGER team is on a 16 month FTRS contract now. Volunteers will be expected to join a 4 month rotation of Afghanistan, Iraq and Balkans UK and Germany. Ranks from LCpl to WO2.