Other services joining 4/73... Info?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by tallpaul, Aug 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, jst wondered if anyone in the know could shed some light on 4/73 for me? I'm currently serving as a Helo tech with commando helicopter force, Royal Navy, but i'm looking for a change in career path. Whilst i was serving out in Basrah i saw the posters for 4/73 Battery and just wanted to know what they did exactly. Also, i wanted to know how tough the course is? I'm pretty fit, (hopefully will have completed All arms commando course by xmas) but wanted to know what the main points of failure were? Does anyone on here serve with them now? If so, are there many non-army members of 4/73 battery? (Especially Navy).

Cheers in advance.

2. Ps. I was refering to the Special Observers Patrol Course! Sorry!

3. as far as i am aware it is now open to all services, training is a lot of tabbing over dartmoor type stuff, living in ops etc

4. Do a bit of a serch on the Gunner forum, and there are at least 2 threads giving good info on them, or contact the Battery and have a chat with the BSM and he will answer all your questions.

5. All arms CDO course will put you in good condition phsically. You should brush up on navigation skills and aquire a massive sense of humour as some of the phases of selection are somewhat ...tedious. The battery are after soldiers with a good grounding in basic soldiering skills. Development of these skills will take place over time once you have passed through the selection process. Depending on task, the patrol could be down to a 4 man team so each member has to be multi skilled.
    Great fun once you get in. Good luck.

6. 148 now recruit directly as well, and you'd be around merry matelots a lot, as well as being able to sail the seas & do daring deads!!!

7. we have had blokes from the raf before, the course is definately open to tri-service. come along, find contact details on soldier magazine web page. good luck!

8. your best bet is to phone the BSM-he will be more than happy to give you all the info and can stick something in the post. they welcome soldiers from other backgrounds as it adds diversity to the Bty.