Other Nations COIN Doctrine?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by xenophon2012, Mar 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I've managed to find Counter-Insurgency (COIN) Doctrine from the UK (FM Vol 1 Pt 10), the US (FM 3-24) and the Canadian (FP-003), as well as some French tactical COIN guidance, but I have been unable to find much more. Does everyone just use the US doctrine or do other nations produce their own? Ideally I am looking for open source publicly published doctrine.

Just doing some studies into COIN doctrine so I am interested in knowing what else others have been saying, and in particular, what they deduce as their key principles. Please provide hyperlinks if you have any.

Thanks

Xenophon2012

2. ECMO1 - thanks for that, very useful.

Yes I am interested in any and all doctrine relating to counter-insurgency, air, land, naval or otherwise.

Cheers

Xenophon2012

3. Well, what about Rhodesian COIN? Just google it.

4. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

What are your language skills?

5. Not exactly primary source, but then you wouldn't expect it to be.

Interesting nonetheless for bringing out that everyone recognises human terrain as key to successful COIN.

6. smartascarrots - thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can get a copy via ALIS.

ehwhat? - Pretty much fluent in English and talking loudly seems to work the world over! However other languages are pretty limited to be fair. However if you can point me in the right direction then I am sure I can find someone to translate.

BushrangerCZ - thanks for the link

Regards

Xenophon2012

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Try the Small Wars Manual, the old USMC manual. Old but quite excellent

8. in_the_cheapseats

Thought I'd make a comment about the development of US COIN Doctrine. Although the US have now got a pretty good set of doctrine published, be aware that before Gen Petraeus came along and changed the whole mindset to COIN ops in the US military, there were none developed, certainly not published. And so you will find that the US way of "doing business" will not be as widespread as you might have thought.

I had the misfortune of being tasked with developing a COIN manual for the Iraqi's whilst working out in MNC-I in 2005. I was doing the same as you, collecting other nations manuals to steal ideas on getting the messages across. I was flabbergasted when I found out the US didn't have a developed doctrine for COIN. At that time, those US I met didn't see it as an issue. ...... They learned.

9. In_the_cheapseats - thanks for the comment. So what other nations COIN doctrine did you end up using? I note that FM3-24 is a joint US Army and USMC doctrine manual so supersedes the small wars manual, though I do not doubt that it was a sound publication.

10. COIN is not my specialty, but I have run across a few doctrine sites while researching some other items. Here are a few COIN pubs:

Australia:
    AAP 1001.2 The Air Force Approach to Irregular Warfare can be found at DOCTRINE

US (Joint)
    JP 3-24 Counterinsurgency Operations (5 Oct 2009) is available at Joint Electronic Library JEL, Joint Publication Operations

USAF:
    AFDD 3-03 Counterland Operations and AFDD 3-24 Irregular Warfare are available at http://www.au.af.mil/au/lemay/main.htm Need to scroll down on the list of doctrine publications.

11. USMC (Old pub but historical value)
    The 1940 USMC “Small Wars Manual” is available at http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/swm/index.htm

RAF (Not so much doctrine as historical studies) If the links break in the title you can find them at Publications - CENTRE FOR AIR POWER STUDIES

Dr Sebastian Ritchie, The RAF, Small Wars and Insurgencies in the Middle East, 1919-1939 (Royal Air Force Centre for Air Power Studies, 2011. ISBN: 978-0-9552189-9-6).

Dr Sebastian Ritchie, The RAF, Small Wars and Insurgencies: Later Colonial Operations, 1945-1975 (Royal Air Force Centre for Air Power Studies, 2011. ISBN: 978-0-9552189-9-6).

Joel Hayward, ed., Air Power, Insurgency and the "War on Terror" (Royal Air Force Centre for Air Power Studies, 2009. ISBN: 978-0-9552189-6-5).

12. in_the_cheapseats

After discussing things with the Iraqi's, although most of their more senior officers had been staff trained by the Russians (we stopped training them after GW1), they wanted to move back to a UK based doctrine and so FM vol1 pt10 was used as the basis of it, with examples being pulled in from Iraqi own experience as well as the normal flavouring of the historical experiences.

I forgot about the Aus (someone else's post) - shouldn't have - as I had a nice visit to Perth to meet up with one of their Doctrine blokes!

I have no idea if the doc we eventually produced is still being used - I would hope that the Iraqi's would have been eventually able to produce something better - it was a rush job after all. However, pre GW1, they were using UK doctrine translated across in most areas which frankly was the lazy man's way of doing business but understandable with the number of seniors they had trained here. Before I left Baghdad, I arranged for disclosure of all our FM manuals for them. By that point, as we had taken the task of setting up their new officer training school, it made sense to try and imprint all our sensibilities, morals (ha!) and doctrine on them again right across the offr corp.

13. Ladies/Gents - thanks very much for the responses and links, very very useful.