OTC to other TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by mcclurg, Jan 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently a member of an OTC, but wish to move to another TA regiment, hoping to go on a tour in 2010.

What is a the procedure for moving?
    Will I have to do a full selection etc, or is it just a case of moving my papers over and attending their training instead?

2. Two things,

what Rank/grade were you?
    how long were you in..?

Every UOTC (if not commisioned, then its PCBC) that joins us still has to do CIC to get in and Tour.

Best of luck

3. You move your papers over, in essence, if you are currently OTC. (Which your post seems to indicate that you are.) Contact the unit you want to join, explain that you want to transfer, and the wheels will be set in motion. Good luck!
  4. I would expect any UOTC transfer to the deployable TA should have to do at least a Phase 2 course (inc CIC for inf) (if OR) or Special to Arm Course (if an officer) as UTOC training is basically CMS(R) less some bits (eg they don't include any CBRN at all in their syllabus).

I know some units in the past expected them to do the whole recruits course, but but that that is probably rare these days.
  5. Yep, I agree with post above, you will do phase 2 training with the unit (obv depends on the arm as to what it will be).
  6. Thanks guys. I was expecting to do my phase 2 training etc, but I was just hoping I wouldn't have to do ADSC, etc!
  7. msr

msr LE

Speak to the unit. They won't shake your hand, they will rip your arm off.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Just try and hold back on the "this one time, at band camp" and "at cadets, we did it this way" stories.

OTC is just Cadets for grown ups. A good start point, but a long way from the finished article!
  9. I've known OTC cadets transfer in the past and they were an asset to the unit, reasonably sure they didn't do recruits training .
  10. Shurely, move to a TA Regiment?
  11. Mcclurg, I joined the OTC first, and transfered to 7 RIFLES after I completed MTQ2 (or MLDP2 as it is now called), there is some paperwork to fill out, but the Adjudant did most of it for me; all I had to do was sign the dotted line.

I am hoping to go on tour in 2010 aswell, I have yet to book CIC, but I know it definately has to be done (stating the obvious), as does pre-deployment training.

This is what I was told, but I may well be wrong. :roll:

12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

When I transferred to a Type A TA unit from my Type B TA UOTC unit (Bravo_Bravo, how do you like me now!) I was comfortably 5 months away from my Sandhurst course. Neither myself, nor the 2 other people who transferred across we're asked to do anything more than muck in with the trained soldiers and do what they did, being aware that we're officer cadets, and not toms.

The skill difference between OTCs is massive, that i will warrant. However, some otcs can be good, and some extremely so. I would imagine that anyone who hasn't done a decent MOD 3 would benefit from CIC, but a degree of judgment might be in order if the Ocdt is obviously capable...