OTC Hearing requirements

Discussion in 'OTC' started by Coprolite, Jun 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So depending on grades I'll be heading to Imperial or Birmingham come september.
    I'm keen to join the UOTC at wherever I end up, and I'm aware at least some units have a medical.

I know I have a medically diagnosed hearing loss, in the higher pitches which I *think* is under 100dB of loss (can't hear a whistle for example, but can here a fairly near smoke alarm). Does anyone know the hearing requirements for OTC?

I'm an SNCO in the ACF at the moment and it hasn't really impacted my time there, but I'm aware OTC is a step up, and as you're a Type B TA obviously medical is going to be stricter.

I appreciate any information.

2. pardon?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Please do speak up, I cannot hear you over the explosion of laughter at such wit!

4. Thanks, that was useful, but how deaf is deaf? I have a loss/impairment, but am not deaf in the sense I cannot hear anything/barely hear anything. Would any loss disqualify me?

5. Turn up, talk to the doctor. The worst he/she can say is "no".

That said, not being able to hear a whistle might be a bit of an issue if, for example, there's a problem on a range.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Good luck.

Others have not mentioned it specifically but medical requirements for the UOTC are the same as for the rest of the army.

If your ears turn out to be a problem you can still have a perfectly honourable and satisfying career (I hate 'career' in this context but can't think of a better word) as a CFAV with the cadet forces.

University might be a good time to get all your early career courses in during the holidays.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. Thanks for the input guys.

In terms of what is actually wrong with my ears, it was *probably* a virus when I was 8/9 and any damage is to do with the nerves. So the medical wouldn't show up any visible damage, and as of when I had the last test it hadn't got any worse (2 years ago I think).

I've never had a problem on a range before but obviously thats cadets and we are supervised to the point that there's one CVAF to one cadet on a firing point and nobody used whistles.

I was planning on either the CVAF or TA route after Uni anyway, intending to make a career out of my degree (Geology) but obviously I haven't even started my course yet so its all early days.

8. Go for the UOTC. The hearing test consists of a series of beeps delivered via headphone, in a "soundproof" box.

This test revolves around you pressing a button repetitively until you beat the last person's highscore for pressing said button.

You will 75% not fail.

Once in, you can TASO (TA Sponsored Officer) with a local TA unit of your choice and do their training aswell as the OTC gubbins, securing you a full TA bounty and pay, and the best of both worlds.

9. Blag the hearing test ;) Most can't hear f**k all anyway inside the booth (I certainly struggle at times). And tell them you've got a cold also.

10. To be frank not being able to hear is an asset that most OTC guys aspire to have; many seem to have an absolute inability to listen to any form of advice given by a JNCO/SNCO.

11. I suppose I'll just go for it and see what happens; should I mention it before hand to whoever is doing the medical, or just do the test and wait till they say do you know you're deaf?

12. It's totally different. You can't compare being a youth worker to being a cadet in the OTC!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

What do we want.....? Hearing Aids!
    When do we want them.....? ..................Hearing Aids!