OTC as a career move

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by StabTiffy2B, Jun 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK People, after some advice. I've been offered a transfer to the OTC as an instuctor. What I want to know is whether this is seen as a good career move and whether it's enjoyable to work with future ruperts.

We've all heard the rumours about OTCs and incompetence. Are they really that bad and will I be wanting to kill them after 10 minutes?

Are the women really that fit & easy?

Serious answers please, this isn't the Naafi. 8)

2. Assuming "Stabtiffy" means you aren't a regular!!

What job have you been offered (MTQ1, MTQ2, Advanced, special to arm?) and how long is your posting for. Does your parent unit have a job lined up for you coming back?

Edited to ask if this OTC is at split locations.

3. In the 'old days' it was always the kiss of death and meant that you were a captain who nobody trusted to command a coy, and you were fecked off to playschool.
    Nowadays it's a good career move and the regional brigades will board officers to transfer to a UOTC. It tends to happen at various stages, either as a post JDSC capt or as 1st or 2nd Maj appointments.

Read Belushi's 'OTC skills and drills' thread, it WILL tell you what you wish to know. Don't sign anything until you've mulled over his revelations....

4. Cheers Guys. I've read the horror stories but assumed that there was a certain amount of elaboration in there.

I don't know how the OTC struture works or this MTQ stuff. Any info would be apprecited.

The OC said there was a space for an Armourer Instructor and did I want it? I'd never considered it before.

5. I must admit this would concern me a little. In a good number of years at a large OTC i've never heard of the requirement for an "Armourer instructor".

I would be a little concerned you might be getting jiffed to look after the armoury (which can be a thankless job in the OTC) to relieve one of the regulars from this task.

Is the OC your current one or the one you would have at the OTC?

PM me if you want more info about the other stuff

6. I don't know which OTC you might go to, but I did MTQ 2 and training for RMAS with Birmingham UOTC. (I was RLC TA at the time, but had been RAuxAF Regiment previously, so knew a bit about infantry work.)

I had a great time, and really enjoyed working with the OTC. In Brum they were an Infantry OTC, so if that's what lights your fire then it was great; I don't know how the students do it - out all day on a Saturday doing section attacks, Mess Dinner that night, get up with really, really bad head and then they do very good Platoon Attacks all morning.

Some OTC's aren't Infantry specific and just do what's necessary for RMAS, as far as I could tell.

7. I can only repeat what one of the TA sergeants we had attached to us said when he left (although of course, he could hardly say 'I hated it. I hate you all. I wish I'd never seen any of you'). His first reaction was 'Oh Christ, two years with a bunch of incompetent students', but he left saying that it was the best two years of his (army) life.

As a career move, I don't know how great it would be, but I don't imagine that being away from your battalion/squadron/whatever for however long would be that helpful. On the other hand, I think most of the staff do enjoy it - you get to get on with the students, go out with them, have a laugh, pretend that you're at university but without any of the crap bits like exams.

Structure: new recruits do MTQ1 - basic fieldcraft and admin skills. That's where all the really unbelievable stories of incompetence happen (like sentries firing on their own platoon commander as he approaches from inside the camp), but most of that should have been knocked out of them by the end (though there's always some.)

MTQ2: introduction to leadership and orders.

One term a year is generally devoted to both of those - so a new OCdt does MTQ1 in their first year, then MTQ2 in their second. The rest of the time is spent on special-to-arm training. Our OTC has infantry, armoured, RE, REME and RA wings, though that varies at each unit.

Hope that's helpful,

smithie

8. You're quite right, there was some elaboration in the Skills and Drills thread, but not that much. If anything, it's not those OCdts who are incompetent who you're going to lose your rag with, but the following species:

1. Old Timer: On his third degree, has seen three Colonels come and go, and if he stays around for a couple more terms has a good chance of convincing a naive incoming PSAO that he's a regular soldier, hence becoming eligible to remain as the RQ's right hand man for the next 22 yrs. Volunteers for every weekend going, not to do anything useful like instruct the orders and estimates, but to sit in Landrovers doling out range stew and hot tea to other OCdts on TEWTs. The description of 'Tone' in the wikipedia thing is the best example of such an animal I've seen yet; bravo to the originator

2. Cav boy: Has done one fam visit to the KRH, came away with a small wet patch on the front of his pants, goggle eyed with excitement. Determined to out Cav the Cav, without actually having joined the Army yet. Sports red trousers at every conceivable opportunity, has a finely developed career laugh which tightens the fists of every other guy in the bar, and on one occasion tried to sport a cravate. Will break out Pimms and foie gras on exercise whenever he can, which as well as being mind numbingly derivative, is normally the preserve of those who've just spent two weeks slogging their guts out on BATUS and who want to unwind in what they consider a suitable fashion, rather than the god given right of a spotty nineteen year old who's just VOR'd some other unit's Landie because he was too busy learning the history of a regiment which he hasn't even f*cking joined yet to bother paying attention when his PSI showed him how to first parade his vehicle. Is only vaguely aware that somewhere down the line, soldiers may be involved in some way with his career. Similar species can be observed in most RA Tps, sporting Friday ties with feckless disregard for the clue in the name....

3. Rambo: Much more bearable than his opposite number Cav boy, as at least he puts in a bit of effort. Normally found in the Inf platoon, and among his own kind he's normally quite safe. However among a more disparate group of individuals (i.e. during his basic trg), with less tolerance for those who purchase chest webbing, carry twin golocks strapped to their back, and who add a bit of elastic to their helmets to allow them to wear a respirator that they will never actually be issued, he will often be found strapped to his bed with bungies, being beaten with bars of soap in army socks a la Full Metal Jacket. Will cry just as much as Private Pyle, but unfortunately will not do anything nearly as inventive as slotting any of the DS, instead choosing to retire sadly to his pit muttering 'fcukin' hats', I'll show them...'

4. Waste-a-Space: My personal bete noir. Often female, occasionally ginger, and always overweight. Manifestly fails to fulfill any of the criteria for recruitment contained in the UOTC msn statement, as they are neither capable of joining the Regular or Territorial Army, nor, given that they are on their second degree already, are they likely to go on to become the president of HSBC. Therefore, and I don't mind saying this, they are pointless baggage, full stop. Never does phys, and always proffers the most specious of excuses. Quite happy to draw their pay of £33 whatever a day, in spite of regularly putting in a performance which would see a Regular or TA pte soldier put on a severe warning order. Tentative attempts to grip said individual for lateness/genuinely cr*p appearance/any number of other crimes, even bearing in mind the generous allowances of the OTC, result in tears, recriminations, and whispering campaigns started by the grippee. Airily talks about having 'several regiments interested in me, actually', and desperately tries to get TCB out of the way while still in the OTC system and without having to gain any kind of wider experience, gibbering in the knowledge that five minutes having to graft as an OCdt in a TA Regt will show them up for the blubbersome wastes they really are. Occasionally pass, thereby reducing one's own faith in the commissioning system to almost nil.

That said, if you can bear the above, everyone else is great, the social's excellent, there is no need to take it seriously as long as a token effort is made, and if you're unmarried you can go to town as long as you're discreet. Watch out for the armoury trick that someone else mentioned though - there are weapons being salvaged from WWI battlefields today which are cleaner than some of the hunks-a-junk handed in after 48 hrs with an OTC on SPTA.

x

9. Oh, do all OTC's have a JUO who wears red trousers with his DJ? I met one once (not at Birmingham) who was probably 21 years old and smoked a pipe.

But let's not get off topic. My limited experience of 6 months with the OTC is generally +ve.

10. Hang on a sec... That sounds like Orifice! :D

11. I don't own any red trousers yet and I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a pair of them with a DJ, I'm not 21(anymore), however the rest may sadly be true

12. Belushi, true, too true. In OTC days I was a bit like #3, although exceedingly popular of course, ahem, except among the #2s (how appropriate this number is), to whom I was, well, a little intolerant, trying to 'out' them as tw@ts at every opportunity. Still, I like to think I grew up when faced with my first TA platoon.
    Yep. I still remember the shaking of heads at RMAS (and this is from OCdts, mind) as we all lay on the start line, bored, and waiting for our platoon commander 2Lt Ms. wannabe, who was at least 500m behind, gasping for air, stumbling along, map cases all aflap, mags and mess tins in a paper trail behind her, and crying because the nasty Colour Sergeant man had called her a "waste of rations". At least the heat was off us for a few minutes, mind, so it was a good result (for the same reason, I loved going on stag: no-one was going to 'DS' you for at least an hour - bliss)

She passed the course with a D-. Too generous methinks. Somehow that and the fact that the Sovereign's Parade was taken by some bowler hat old boy from Glaxo ('this parade is brought to you by Glaxo, makers of pile creams and tubigrip') somewhat took away the achievement (after all, it was two whole weeks, n everyfing)

13. This may be a stupid question, but Officer Cadets are grudginly called Sir.

What 'rank' if any is held by UOTC scroatbags?

14. OCdt is an appointment so they are called Mr or Ms (although the odd other term can be used!!)

15. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

My payslips always said Pte on the front when I was in the OTC.

It was one of the reasons I was refused a place on the range officer course.

J_T_4T