Osprey Assault & Mk 7 Helmet in Theatre

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gearspotter, Nov 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A couple of images of the New Body Armour and Mk 7 Helmet in Theatre (with 3 Rifles in this particular case), also showing in ear hearing protection, 42l bergan ( 5th man back, 1st image), issued (in theatre) knee pads etc.

Attached Files:

2. I was wondering why there was a need to issue anti-material rifles on patrols these days until i realised that those long things were metal detectors.

Good pictures though.

3. Forgive me for being a blind mong, but i can't spot the ear defenders.

4. The armour was on the Troops on lunchtime news. MUCH slimmer plates.

5. Can anyone explain why it has massive black patches on the shoulders. :?

6. Can anyone explain that Beret in the second picture? He looks like a TA officer cadet.

7. It is high friction material to stop daysack straps slipping.

8. Ah right thanks. Guess they couldnt make it in tan colour then? How are the troops liking the new armor? looks pretty smart and practical with the option to add more pouches and stuff.

9. Thought the reason was to prevent Rifle slippage?

Although having it on both shoulders suggests what you said more likely!

10. Dossbag - look in the left ear of the chap in profile on the 1st pic and you'll see it, as the name suggest, in his ear. In the 2nd pic you can see the cable trailing around their necks to the ANR box tucked under the left armpit.

Skarin/Spax/Goon - its both. There is a ridge on the outside to help as well. It was not possible to get the leather died tan given the speed at which this stuff was manufactured and shipped.

11. The ear defence is the small pouch with popper attached to the ear phones. It plugs into PRR and the phones are moulded to the ear personally to block damaging noise but allow normal volume through. MoD decided it would be cheaper to provide troops with this than payout compensation to troops due to hearing damage.

12. Got a detail picture of this kit by any chance?

13. It's called "Slip not" Grip fabric and it comes in whatever colour you want.

14. Apparently the ANA have sent some of their men on a course at the Iraqi Army School of Beret Shaping.

15. Yes, you are quite correct, but it the supplier of the body armour covers was only able to supply it in black within the timeframes required. Given longer, yes, it could have come in tan but there was insufficient stock available for the quantities required.