OSM Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Linso, Dec 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am there at moment, have been told we get OSM, no bar or rosette, and also get the ISAF medal (another chocolate NATO medal), is some confusion as to whether the ISAF one can be worn though. Any one in the know ?

2. You do get the ISAF medal, however it cant be worn. As far as I'm aware, the OSM is issued with Bar Afghanistan, as the medal itself replaces the Operational Service Medal 1962, and the bar denotes the Operation for which recognition is given.

3. You are quite correct sir. The non-article 5 is not to be worn, as one Sgt found out with 5 extras after a dinner night. MOD MO have pulled their fingers out and the current turn around is about 4 weeks, I shite you not.

4. Policy has not changed as of yet.

5. Hi All,

I left a month ago and we were categorically told not to wear ISAF medals / miniatures. During the tour there were all sorts of rumours about wearing one, the other or both; but around September time a directive came out informing all, that only the OSM was to be worn, either on 2's or on Mess Dress.

6. Just returned from the s*%thole. Prior to leaving we were told we could NOT wear either NATO medal or miniture.

7. Being told what to do by a bunch of retards (who's closest thing to a contact is being shouted at by their wife) and what you actually do are two different things.

8. I have OSM Afghanistan with clasp, but I was there before the NATO medal was being awarded. Is it another Blue and White job with compressed cardboard gong!?? I already have two of those (some people will have 4 including this one!) so I'm not sure I would really want to add to the Bar Code!

For anyone who really wants to wear it, it may be of some comfort to know that there will be nothing to stop you having it mounted when you get out!

I've never actually looked it up, but I believe that it is a criminal offence in the UK to wear a medal to which you are not entitled..BUT, if NATO have issued it to you....you are entitled to wear it...So put it up and get yourselves down to the legion every Remembrance day with the rest of us and count who has the most while drinking like you were back in the NAAFI when you were 21!!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It is an offence yes but as you have been issued it the only person that cares after you leave will be some boring t1t who wont be able to tell the real from the walts by then unless we go back to 30 more years of non expeditionary warfare as in the 70's till the 90's. just us old gits with the gsm who used to laugh at the ex national servicemen with nowt!
    Besides as you have been awarded it and wont be in uniform when you leave unless you are a walt you wont be breaking any laws!

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Anyone know the logic behind the decision to wear UN medals but not NATO ones?

11. You can wear any medal issued on mess kit. This is because they are not issued but have to be bought. Medals rules apply for full size awards.

12. Bollokcs I'm afraid. Miniatures are exactly that, a miniature copy of your main medals, regardless of whether you pay for them or not! Incidentally, you can also wear full size medals on your mess kit, just that no one does. Not a lot of people know that!!

Yep, the logic is that you can only be awarded one medal per operation. That is why those who served in Kosovo for example get to wear the NATO (now EUFOR???) medal, because no other medal was issued.

13. out of interest, are foreign armies similarly strict about not wearing NATO medals?

otherwise there must be French/Dutch soldiers walking around weighed down by the kilos of brass on their left chest