Osgood-Schlatters Disease

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by drenglish, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pain below the knee cap, after a run or any other strenuous exercise.

Anyone else experienced this? Doc. says it's Osgood Schlatter's Disease. She said it was rather common; anyone here had it??

2. Yeah, I had it when I was a kid.

This is when the bones in the leg grow faster than the muscles thus resulting in lumps under the knee.

There is no cure, but rest is advised if pain experienced.

3. Osgood Schlatter's Disease

its a form of Osteo-chondritis, commonly given the inappropriate name of 'growing pains'

Its effects will wear off after you have stopped growing, and you will be left with 'knobbly knees'.

I was diagnosed with it when 13 - Im just coming up to the 20 years service mark now

patient information

4. The bumps below the knees appeared when I was 11 or 12 and are still there 20 odd years later but the sensitivity faded away within a year or so. I've rarely in life experienced as much pain as when I tripped on some stairs and banged both bumps... A kick in the crotch would have been preferable. I mentioned it to a doctor in the family and was told the sensitivity would just go away in time and that there was no treatment.

5. You have to grow to get out of it, if you're pretty much fully grown there's a problem :oops:

It can be very uncomfortable especially in the prone position

6. Well I had it a couple of years ago, but it faded away. I'm 16 now and 6', surely I've stopped growing? lol

7. And you just thought to get advice now? Oh well, hope we helped!

8. My mum had it and had to have to surgery to replace her kneecaps, my sister (juniorslug) has also got it but it doesn't stop her partying.

I think the best bit of it for my mum was when she got Gerry and the Pacemakers to sing her a song because she was on crutches. Buggered if I can remember what the song was, but it was at the Royal Court in Liverpool. (I obviously wasn't there, she was 14).

Fortunately, I haven't got it. Good luck to you.

Halloumi xx

9. I've had pain below the kneecaps plenty but always put it down to injury or overdoing it. I'm 38 now so it's probably not growing pains in my case!

10. 38? You sprog.

Get it checked out.

11. Be patient, it goes with time. You could invest in a patt strap which reduces the pressure put on the knee taking some of the pain away. Knee strengthing excerises will also help.

12. If she's from Liverpool, it may not be an "obvious" conclusion. :wink: