Osgood-Schlatter disease

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FFMASTER, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i am currently going through the sign-up process and i have had a lump below my knee for a few years now.

i did get it checked out some time ago and they said it was common with someone my age and should go with time and shouldnt cause any problems.

i looked up what it could be on the internet and i think it is 'Osgood-Schlatter disease' which is common in teenagers (im now 18).

however it causes me no pain whatsoever, even on long endurance runs, but am just wondering if any of you know if it will affect my selection/sign-up? (have selection on 1st may)

just wouldnt like to get deffered as i know it wont cause any problems and would put back my app months.

anyone know any info on this matter?
  2. Self diagnosis on the internet is no diagnosis. You fit your symptoms to the ones listed. Dont worry and just get on with it.
  3. There's a forum or two on this already if you have a flick back through the health and fitness pages. In short though if it is/was OS, to reassure you, it will be no bar to you joining at all, but if you are in any doubt about it see your doctor.
  4. so you think ill be fine?

also its nOT really a self diagnosis, as well i got it checked out and i forgot the name but when i googled it it does sound very familular to what the doctor said.
  5. Have (or had?) OSD in my left knee as well that my GP diagnosed with typical 2 inch bump just below the knee. Sorry I bothered seeing the GP too be honest as I didn't learn anything new (rest it, ibuprofen, ice, compression bandages etc) and like yourself I'm anxious about issues like that being on record.

Anyway, re-assured (abit!) by Kermit's post.
  6. well the 'RICE' theory apparently only works for a few.

there isnt any topics online about Osgood-Schlatter disease and the army, well i havnt found any so far, but apparently quite a few servicemen and woman have it so in a way im seeing that as a good sign..

being if it hasnt affected them hopefully it wont affect me.
  7. What kermit said.

Juniorslug has got it and it's never stopped her playing rugby, dancing like a window licker, running from taxis etc. etc.

Go and see your doctor.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I had it as a teenager, now my boy also.

New Zealand Perna mussel powder is highly praised as a homeopathic and safe supplement to help joint conditions.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Not at all - get capsules off t'interweb - google it, most homeopathic pharma sites do it.

Don't forget the "e" in homeopathic :wink:
  10. I've just been through selection at Glencorse and I had Osgood Schlatters when I was 15 (I'm 25 now), which affected me for about 12 months. I was playing football at a high level at the time so I had quite an itensive course of physio on it. I declared it on my RG8 form and during my medical at ADSC, all the doc did was look at the lump below my knee and said all was fine. He asked if it caused me any pain or had bothered me in the last few years.

I was told that OS is a growing disease, so unless it has given you problems recently you should be fine. Just be honest and if you're in any doubt go and see your GP. I passed selection and I'm off to Catterick in September!
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

That is about right.
    Some national health voodoo healer wanted to put my boys knees in a plaster cast for a couple of months alternating legs.
    Anything for the cheapest solution and fastest way out the door.
  13. Hey , I was diagnosed by my go for osd and applied and got medically deferred , you have to be 2 years clear of symptoms and treatment fortunately for me I can go back in July , but it's also worth just applying and the medical officer will check you over , be thankful it's not a bar to entry ! Good luck mate
  14. He's retired now.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. PM him with arthritis tips.
    • Like Like x 1