Oscar Peterson - the passing of the best

[align=center]

Oscar Peterson, 1925-2007[/align]

A bit surprised this hadn't been posted already, then I suppose pure Jazz is not exactly topical in the current commercial wave. None the less, the passing of such a significant musician as Oscar Peterson rightfully made International prime-time news.

A classically trained Canadian pianist, Peterson continued the style of Art Tatum and established his own benchmark. Some critics claimed "Peterson uses 100 notes where others would use 10", [or in the case of Count Basie, one :D ], however, none could disagree that every single one fitted with perfect intonation, amplitude and melody.

He was an extremely prolific recorder so leaves a massive library for posterity. Agreed some work is perhaps a bit 'pedestrian', but a lot is classic.

Saw him at one of his all-star trio gigs with Niels Pedersen and Martin Drew - Nirvana. :salut:

No.9

sample, plenty more on YouTube

Good to see someone here mention his passing; sorry I didn't rise to the occasion. Spend some time listening to Oscar Peterson Trio Plus One Clark Terry and Oscar in Paris after I heard of his passing.

So slips away another of the old guard, the real pioneers of jazz. Won't see someone the likes of him again.

A real loss to the world of music. Oscar Peterson, C.C., was truly one of the greats and part of the development of the great jazz culture of Montreal. I never saw him perform live but did see him once in the audience at Biddle's in Montreal, owned by the late Charlie Biddle, C.M. who had played bass fiddle with a number of the greats, including Peterson (nice to see that some of these guys received honours). A lot of the real jazz greats have gone now. I know this will make me seem like an ancient old fart but I don't see them being replaced. There are a few exceptions. Nora Jones sometimes sounds like the reincarnation of Lady Day. Perhaps there is some hope. Best wishes all! RIP Oscar.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Glad to see there are some Petersen fans about. Very sad that he has passed, but his legacy of music will endure. He was a brilliant and innovative player, and actually quite a good singer. He sounded much like Nat 'King' Cole when he sang.

I saw him once in concert, many years ago, along with Joe Williams. A superb gig.

Jazz is the poorer for his passing, but as long as we have the music of him, Shearing and the MJQ to listen to, life is warmer.

Heads-up. Set recorders to stun.

Friday 1st February - Oscar Peterson night on BBC4

Other programmes on radio if you search around a bit. :thumright:

No.9