Osborne wields a hefty axe

Discussion in 'House of Commons' started by fastmedic, Jun 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

Hi fastmedic

DOT will make sure to post up the defence interests mentioned in the Spending Review as well as the response by the Shadow Chancellor.

When it’s ready we’ll also put up a link to the full transcript for you and other members to read and comment on.

If anyone wants to watch it live right now go to Player
  2. Watched it and while it was little more than the start of the preamble for the next General Election, the thing worth waiting for was Ed Balls making himself, and his party, look utterly stupid.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. I really cannot understand why overseas financial aid is being protected so much. Why should we sacrifice services in the UK so that other countries can get our money in aid? Charity starts at home, particularly in these times. It doesn't make any sense.
    • Like Like x 19
  4. I thought that, too: watching it live and in toto, it seemed that all Balls could do was make feeble jokes with much loud variations of Yah Boo! Sucks noises.

Good to see that my prejudices are reflected elsewhere.
  5. I doubt if the Tories will have much else to worry about come 2015.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Because the UK is treated as easy pickings, I fully agree that when our own services are being reigned and reduced then overseas budget should not be untouchable & the first to cut, also, wasn't it set in stone by that oaf Brown to be continually protected.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

It is utter stupidity. To my mind, at least 50% of the aid budget should be in the form of trade credits which must be spent with a company trading in the UK. Poor countries still get foreign aid and UK companies get a boost to their output. Administered correctly, it could also reduce the opportunity for corruption.

• Like Like x 11
  8. I agree with you Biscuits, based on the current line up.
    However, if them on the other benches realise their boss (Wee Ed) and his acolytes are holding them back then a coup and a new front bench could greatly enhance their chances.
  9. Overseas financial aid is, and always will be in my humble opinion a waste of time, money and most of al just a vote and Euro mutual handshaking exercise. Little can be achieved in third world countries already in the grip of civil unrest and drought/floods/famine unless they really want to help themselves.

More than enough info is on t'internet regarding backhanders and redirection of funds to the well lined pockets of government figures.

Charity does indeed begin in the home, sadly this government, and others to follow seem not to understand this simple concept.
  10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

"Hello, Mr Kadogo. I am a saleman for a machinary company in Britain. I have some nice kit and a direct line to the Aid budget. Can I sell you some million pound equipment for 2 million? We'll go halves on the difference. Cheers easy."
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Absolutely agree, any opportunity to stop corruption is good. Let's start with the Government itself.
  12. Wordsmith,

This is probably one of the best and financially safest options to go for, less chance of abuse and most of all a very greater chance of success in the long term.

Get your arrse in the HoC as soon as possible!
  13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Hello Mr Kadago. I am an government appointed auditor verifying the contract you undertook in return for trade credits. I note the value of the equipment you sold is twice the market price.

Go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect £1 million...

14. In the interests of accuracy.
    • Like Like x 2