Osborne - Op Allowance to double under Cons

Just announced on BBC2 live...

Can we change the thread title to "Osborne shamelessly and publicly attempts to bribe the armed forces"? It would be more truthful to the story then.

Bazzinho1977 said:
Can we change the thread title to "Osborne shamelessly and publicly attempts to bribe the armed forces"? It would be more truthful to the story then.
can we start a thread titled "Brown shamelessly and publicly attempts to shaft the Armed Forces?" It would be a more truthful story then ... oh it has been done repeatedly.

Small bribe to the Armed Forces seems more productive that the billions of bribes given to the New Labour faithful over the past 12 years.

Herrumph said:
Bazzinho1977 said:
can we start a thread titled "Brown shamelessly and publicly attempts to shaft the Armed Forces?" It would be a more truthful story then ... oh it has been done repeatedly.

Small bribe to the Armed Forces seems more productive that the billions of bribes given to the New Labour faithful over the past 12 years.
Start a thread called that? We should change the site name to that.

But this is an obvious and blatant bribe. I am not suggesting people hand it back, but if you are going to buy votes - at least admit it, irrespective of who you are buying them from.

From the Beeb.

He told the Conservative conference in Manchester that only frontline soldiers and people on less than £18,000 a year would still get rises.
The problem is, that's a hell of a lot of public sector workers still getting the rise. The vast portion of PS workers are on buttons - particularly part-time low grade clerical/secretarial. Remember the Jobcentre workers striking because their salaries qualified them for Income Support?

He said the freeze would help protect jobs and repeatedly said "we're all in this together".
Are we indeed? MPs too? Consultants, executives and political hangers-on? My, my. I must just be getting cynical in my old age.

And he warned bankers he may tax their bonuses if they were deemed excessive.
Ooooh, scary. He might at some unspecified later stage think about doing something he's not prepared to reveal just yet if a vague criteria decided by persons currently unknown happen to be met.

But then again might not. Depends.

Political dross, the lot of them. Haven't these bastard politicians realised the jig is up? Or do they really hold us in such blatant contempt?

smartascarrots said:
Political dross, the lot of them. Haven't these bastard politicians realised the jig is up? Or do they really hold us in such blatant contempt?
Penny dropped there. They honestly all think of us as economic units to be used as they will. Gang of cnuts the lot of them.

Never happen. Day one, when some poor well-meaning minister gets waved in front of the permanent secretary will sort that out.

"I don't give a toss what you promised, you can't do it. Shouldn't have lied during the campaign then should you minister?"

Just remind me, how many times did Gordon Brown mention the armed forces in his "tour de force" (yawn) conference speech??

I do believe the art of politics is to appeal to people.

Bazzinho1977 said:
Herrumph said:
Bazzinho1977 said:

But this is an obvious and blatant bribe. I am not suggesting people hand it back, but if you are going to buy votes - at least admit it, irrespective of who you are buying them from.
So what have Labour been doing, sorry was that buying votes - no that can't be true, what Gordon a devious person, he can't be after all as he keeps telling us he is a son of the Manse!!!!

pimpernel said:
Bazzinho1977 said:
Herrumph said:
Bazzinho1977 said:

So what have Labour been doing, sorry was that buying votes - no that can't be true, what Gordon a devious person, he can't be after all as he keeps telling us he is a son of the Manse!!!!
I think come the next election you will find he has managed to buy very few votes. That isn't bribery. Its throwing good money after bad.

pimpernel said:
He did, she did, they did it first, a big boy did it and ran away.

Does it really matter, if all we'll achieve at the next election is changing the face that fronts ripping us off?

Blatant contempt-I'm afraid!

smartascarrots said:
From the Beeb.

He told the Conservative conference in Manchester that only frontline soldiers and people on less than £18,000 a year would still get rises.
The problem is, that's a hell of a lot of public sector workers still getting the rise. The vast portion of PS workers are on buttons - particularly part-time low grade clerical/secretarial. Remember the Jobcentre workers striking because their salaries qualified them for Income Support?

He said the freeze would help protect jobs and repeatedly said "we're all in this together".
Are we indeed? MPs too? Consultants, executives and political hangers-on? My, my. I must just be getting cynical in my old age.

And he warned bankers he may tax their bonuses if they were deemed excessive.
Ooooh, scary. He might at some unspecified later stage think about doing something he's not prepared to reveal just yet if a vague criteria decided by persons currently unknown happen to be met.

But then again might not. Depends.

Its not bribery, its paying an incentive to those who are performing very difficult tasks in extremely arduous conditions. If Brown has failed to recognise the efforts of our troops while deployed on operations, thats his problem. Lets not forget that other members of the coalition in Afghanistan are not paying taxes at all while on tour.

Its long past time that politicians recognised those who are protecting the country properly, especially as most MP's have greater expense claims than the infantry Private Soldier earns while risking his life for his country.

smartascarrots said:
pimpernel said:
He did, she did, they did it first, a big boy did it and ran away.

Does it really matter, if all we'll achieve at the next election is changing the face that fronts ripping us off?
So basically were bugg**ed, rather hoped that having them on the ropes with all their misdemeanors we were in a position to change the face of politics. I know they have a default to lie like car boot time pieces but come on chaps we can but try to hold them accountable, with all that DC is saying he seems to be pointing in the right direction and making the right noises. As to the other crew like turkeys they will not be voting for christmas but spinning the platitudes, so sorry, won't happen again etc!

bobthedog said:
Its not bribery, its paying an incentive to those who are performing very difficult tasks in extremely arduous conditions. If Brown has failed to recognise the efforts of our troops while deployed on operations, thats his problem. Lets not forget that other members of the coalition in Afghanistan are not paying taxes at all while on tour.

Its long past time that politicians recognised those who are protecting the country properly, especially as most MP's have greater expense claims than the infantry Private Soldier earns while risking his life for his country.
Mate, if you really believe that this is not bribery then the professional politicians have finally won.

Bazz, why would the tories need to bribe the Forces after the way they have been treated by 3 successive Labour Governments, in terms of their pay and their equipment? If the guys fighting these wars get some extra reward for their efforts Im not going to knock it.

Lets face it, nobody joins the forces just for the money.

Latest Threads