OS Mapping on GPS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Dragstrip, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I havent seen a GPS with OS 1:50 and 1:25 mapping capability before. What do you guys reckon:

I think it's a bit pricey once you factor in the map packs as it only comes with UK road maps as standard (£299 plus £30-100 for the maps). It also takes AA batts.
  2. Looks like the mutts nuts, but I'm into techno gucci kit so I'd probably buy it anyway.

I haven't read into the pdf files on the second link but how many maps per SD card?
  3. Just one!

I've got this:
    as I wanted a bit more than just a SatNav device and the difference in cost isn't all that much. (Plus the MioMap European map covers most of Europe at door-number level).
  4. It's good stuff and developed by ex military guys,who are good friends.They will have a stand at DSEI this week,in London.They have a rather good demo of the device in a tank of water!
  5. £30-£100 for a 1-50k map?!?

Bring that down to 5 quid a map and I'd think about it.

looks like a good bit of kit but no way I'd pay that for a bloody map. I'll stick with my paper maps-compass and GPS as back up.
  7. I'll have a look later, in the meantime I'm writing my own!
  8. The Mio PDA's aren't too bad but you are looking at a 1-2minute warm up on the GPS fixing location and a battery life of 2-3 hours continuous use. Not a particularly rugged piece of kit either but OK if stored in a supplimental casing (tupperware is good).
    Software I use is the Fugawi package, got the 2005 version on eBay for £25 which covers all the UK in 1:50,000.
  9. Why get so tied up in mapping of the UK. When do you think you'll need the upper hand in the Norfolk area???

Grow some boys...