Orthodontic treatment

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mag_to_grid, Nov 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else had this done as an adult?

I am no longer serving so it looks like I am going to have to fork out, basically I have a baby tooth still at the front and I need a tooth moving. I have just been into to see a cosmetic dentist today who has qouted me 5 grand!

Is there anyway of getting a contribution off the NHS? I must hasten to add that all the time I was serving I tried to get this done and nobody would do ever do it for a variety of reasons.

2. It may be worth going abroad for this doing, there are some very good services in Thailand and I understand maybe Poland. No idea of prices though.

3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The problem with orthodontics on the NHS is that it depends very much on where you live. Most places are short of NHS orthodontists who therefore mainly concentrate on children. It depends upon how you score on the IOTN (Index of orthodontic treatment needs) Score low and everytime a kid comes on with a higher score they go above you, so you never actually reach the top.
    Depends which tooth is the baby one and what your appearance is.
    It is also about just being referred to an NHS orthodontist.
    The other thing is, just go o an NHS dentist, they can also provide cosmetic work. there is a maximum limit as to what you can pay on the NHS.
    There are differences between Scotland and England and I am more aware of the situation here in Scotland.
    The other option which can be very useful is to get yourself referred to one of the dental hospitals/schools. referrals are usually seen by staff rather than students.
    PM me with more details and I may be able to help more.

4. I had a braces as an adult a few years ago.

A good forum to search for advice is the Metal Mouth forum. Metal Mouth Message Board :: Index

It is a bit american, but there are some UK people on there. Might help...

5. Poland has brilliant cheap dentistry

6. Regarding the section of this reply that I have put in bold: Cosmetic treatment is NOT available from the NHS. A dentist doing cosmetic work will provide it as a privately charged service. Under the rules of the NHS contract, you can only have "all treatment...that your dentist feels is clinically necessary in order to keep your teeth, gums and mouth healthy".

So a clinical need for ortho would mean teeth so badly positioned as to make cleaning and/or eating difficult, or malocclusion likely to lead to other problems such as TMJ disfunction. A patient who has suffered trauma or cancer needing reconstruction would also be provided with treatment under the NHS.

I would be interested to know what reasons you have been given in the past for not having orthodontic work done. If you have been given clinical reasons (ie poor prognosis), rather than service reasons - (op tours making regular reviews difficult) then I would think twice about insisting on cosmetic work.

ETA: going abroad for ortho treatment may not work out much cheaper. Braces would need to be checked and adjusted maybe every 6 weeks for as much as two years - that's a lot of flights to Poland and back!

7. As does Hungary. They even have UK consultancy so you can get a quote before you go for it. I lost a couple of molars that could no longer be filled and looked at state-of-the-art screw in titanium implants in Budapest at £485 each over there. (£1500+ here!)

My dentist said I might have difficulty eating with these two teeth missing, but I can't say I've noticed the loss at all. Consequently I didn't bother with implants, but if I need front teeth replacing like canines or incisors I'm off to Budapest!

AFAIK the NHS won't do or contribute for implants umless there is a serious cosmetic/psychological/maxillo-facial need for them.

If I had the money I'd have all titianium implants and I'd never need a tin-opener again!

8. Stand by, stand by ...

9. If you can, go to a teaching hospital such as Guys in London. You may qualify for free treatment from an orthodontic post graduate, whose work would be supervised by a consultant. There can be a long wait, but the results should be just as good, if not better, than going private. I cannot comment on methods of dentistry used abroad, except to say that should you require follow-up work if something should go wrong, it might be difficult unless you could go back to that same dentist (ie abroad). Hope this helps!

10. I had a root canal done at a dentistry practice in Fleet, Hants. The tooth needed to be replaced with a porcelain crown. The cost was well over a grand. But it fell apart a few days later, when I was in Vietnam. I had it all done again for the sum of 400 US Dollars, at the French / Vietnamese Hospital in Saigon. That was on Christmas eve 2010 and the tooth has served me well. Nice Chinese dentist too who has a Phd in teeth hacking from an Aussie Uni.

11. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There are two componenets to the IOTN, a dental health and an aesthetic one, which can be at different levels.

I suppose it would depend upon your definition of cosmetic work.

I regularly supply resin build ups, veneers, crowns and bridgework on the NHS, all of which are for aesthetic purposes and can be used a viable alternative to some orthodontic problems.

Without more details of what the occlusion actually looks like it is impossible to give a more precise answer.

Going abroad is not always a good answer, there are reasons it is so cheap and there is also the issue of follow-up and maintainance.