Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by azport, Feb 23, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Owing to the RSM's desire for a Quiz night, I have to come up with some military Quiz questions, you know the sort, Why are bullets still called rounds, what is the difference between a Staff Sgt and a Colour Sgt etc, any help would be appreciated.

PS I know why a tank is called a tank!
  2. Which Army team has won the FA Cup? Royal Engineers in 1875.
  3. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Why are battleships grey?

Cos they use grey paint.
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

What colour was General DeBilliares (sp?) beret in the Gulf War?
    Sand from his CO of 22 SAS days. And he might have been DSF too I don't recall.

Artillery, the word, when first used, meant what?
    Bows and arrows

Which Duke was accorded the same title by the Portguese and Spanish that was later used by a Dictator of one of those lands?
    Wellington, Generalisimo, Franco

How many French Sailors were killed after the last RN goodwill visit to La Rochelle?
    2, after the RN Ship pulled into to port and the French Navy boat had a painted bed sheet with it written "RN 1, Exorcet 2".

What was the most French sailors, to the nearest 500 killed by the British in a single action in WW2
    6,000 when the RN Med Fleet sank the French Med Fleet at port in N. Africa. It took 20 minutes.

In what year did The Royal Anglian Regt go from 3 bns to 2bns?
    1993 - Options for change. (I think)
  5. Mr Happy said:

100% correct sir!

Vikings rules the world!
  6. Mr Happy,

you are I am afraid wrong about your artillery quote. Bows and arrows were not the first, the Romans actually had Artillery Officers & men supporting their legions which fired massive catapults!
  7. It was also the only FA Cup final that included a goal that wasn't credited to anyone - listed as "from a rush".