Origins of the Egg Banjo....

B

Biscuits_AB

whiffler said:
Greengrass said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Racist? Just because I eat eggs doesn't mean that I hate chickens.
#

No it means you hate eggs
White eggs or brown eggs ?. Not out of context, as egg is the principal working part of Mk1 egg banjo.
The 'egg banjo'. Probably the only true British thing in todays British Army.

The 'egg banjo'. Probably the only true British thing in todays British Army.
Which is ironic, as it's an Indian invention....

No , I think the ambrosia specifically entitled "Egg Banjo" is an Indian invention. Asked Dad about this, and the first time he ever had one in the Army , was when he got to India in early 45. George McDonald Fraser also remarks in "Quartered safe out here" about Egg Banjos from the Deolali? canteen. Maybe someone out there knows the specific reference.

Don't know about proof Biscuits, but can provide histroical reference about Egg Banjo's being served East of Suez :)

http://dotcom78.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page5.html

so we ate in the evenings,a Indian had a big vat going , he threw in eggs and between a bread roll we lived on that for ages,called it a Egg Banjo i remember
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/chalcraft/career/67-70.html

The food, mostly at outside kitchens, was great, though of uncertain origin - you didn't see many cats walking around - but for a couple of dollars (about five shillings, or 25 pence) you could get a really good Malay meal - the famous Nasi Goreng, Mah Mee soup, Mee Hoon, as well as the excellent and exotic 'egg banjo'
http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Borneo/paul.html

...there was always time for a mug of tea and an Egg Banjo from the charwallahs tent
Actually, there are a lot of Malaysian references to Egg Banjo's too. It seems the most perfect way to cook the egg for an egg banjo, is in fact in a wok or balti type metal bowl?

True. I have been served egg banjos by charwallahs in Malaya, HongKong, Borneo, Bahrain and Singapore. Got a piccy somewhere of Naafi break at the charwallahs on Meerut Sq in Nee Soon Garrison, actually eating one!

Get it in the "Family Military photos" bit of the Military History forum then Exile!

Actually, if you could submit any photos of your time "Out East" it would be appreciated :)

(Yes I will split the topic presently)

B

Biscuits_AB

PartTimePongo said:
Don't know about proof Biscuits, but can provide histroical reference about Egg Banjo's being served East of Suez :)

http://dotcom78.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page5.html

so we ate in the evenings,a Indian had a big vat going , he threw in eggs and between a bread roll we lived on that for ages,called it a Egg Banjo i remember
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/chalcraft/career/67-70.html

The food, mostly at outside kitchens, was great, though of uncertain origin - you didn't see many cats walking around - but for a couple of dollars (about five shillings, or 25 pence) you could get a really good Malay meal - the famous Nasi Goreng, Mah Mee soup, Mee Hoon, as well as the excellent and exotic 'egg banjo'
http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Borneo/paul.html

...there was always time for a mug of tea and an Egg Banjo from the charwallahs tent
Actually, there are a lot of Malaysian references to Egg Banjo's too. It seems the most perfect way to cook the egg for an egg banjo, is in fact in a wok or balti type metal bowl?
The things you learn on this site! There should be a seperate thread for all of this :lol:

and now there is :)

So where did everyone have their first Military Egg banjo , maybe we can trace the origins from there?

Right.

Why is it called an Egg Banjo? Picture your first bite, two-handed, of cousre. The yolk naturally drips down onto your shirt. The left hand retains the sandwich, moves it away from the torso. The right hand flicks it off the abdomen.... now, picture that....

I laughed my socks off when I was told that by Gunny S.....

Egg banjoes and Everything Burgger from the Gollyshop in Aldergrove.
One of the Inf Battalions came back from Cyprus ? early 70's and brought their Gollyshop with them He set up shop despite Naffia ravings and it was mavelous 24 hrs a day service, no matter what time of morning you just kicked the guy up and he 'cheerfully' turned out your desire.
john

From whence The Messiah of all that is culinary came, one is of course curious but cares not, I have not ten minutes ago constructed a 3 tier "KING BANJO" with toasted bread and japeno sauce, surely the food of kings, forking hot tho lol

So the evidence so far shows that wherever the British army has been, from Hull to Hong Kong and from Salford to Suez, there is evidence of egg banjos?

Call me Mr Sherlock Poirot if you will, but to me that suggests that we gave it to them.

Together with the rule of law, civilisation etc..

wedge35 said:
Civilisation and egg banjos are utterly inseperable, surely?
I have in my own small way attempted to bring enlightenment to the savages. I managed to convert a troop of septic mountain warfare types to the glory that is the egg banjo.

Early hours of a 'kin cold winter morning staggering back from the local watering hole and we raided the kitchen for something to eat, they started trying to grill some deep frozen steaks and warming up pizzas etc when I spotted the makings and cooked up 2 banjos. Within 5 minutes the heathens were begging for the chance to try their hand at making them. The first attempts were piteous, yolks to hard or white too runny, but with patient coaching I succeced in converting them all, and from that day forth we feasted upon them at every chance we got. :D

Northern Ireland has to be the home of the Egg Banjo if not the origination.

Every patrol, every day, returning in at all hours and the only thing the slops always had running was the fryer and they were always prepared to keep the banjos coming. The OC even had the slops on shifts to make sure the stupid o'clock patrols could have food.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jockparamedic The NAAFI Bar 93
tattybadger Military History and Militaria 8
Fireplace The NAAFI Bar 2