Origins of slinging

I have heard Line Regiments called Hats, and others called Crap Hats. What is the origin of these words, as assume they come from Para Reg due to them slinging on others. Funny though. Not a wah :D

oldbaldy

LE
Being a kind soul & you not being able to use the internet I'll help:
crap hat

Vulgar slang (in the British army) a term used by paratroopers and commandos to refer to a soldier from a regiment in the rest of the army.
Etymology: probably with derogatory reference to the standard khaki-colored (now dark blue) berets, in contrast to the prized red and green berets of the special regiments.
http://www.answers.com/topic/crap-hat

in the '80s the peaked DPM field caps were worn by Para recruits before they won their Red Berets. These were known as "crap hats" (although actually they were quite a good field cap!)

By extension, Paras referred to anyone who hadn't passed as a para as a "crap hat" even though hardly anyone in the rest of the army ever wore them.
"hat" is just short for "crap hat"

I'm sure some old Para can correct me if the term dates back much further than this.

i loved my combat cap.. used to think i looked like an ss panzer soldier in it,, with the black coveralls..walting was fun back in the 70s....

pupgreen said:
i loved my combat cap.. used to think i looked like an ss panzer soldier in it,, with the black coveralls..walting was fun back in the 70s....
Ahh so thats why we were in the Hitler Youth back then, happy days, but still they were crap hats!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
QManWpns Seniors 9
dui-lai Current Affairs, News and Analysis 21
A Military History and Militaria 6