Origin of the term "Armskote"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the origin of the term "Armskote" for armoury? Can it mean something other than "armoury" such as the contents of the armoury rather than the armoury itself.

Googling revealed nothing helpful except that it's the common term in Singapore!

Oh, and Armscote with a "c" is a village in Warwickshire...

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Twas always spelt with a C in my mob! Maybe like a dovecote?

3. I'm thinking Indian. Spellt with a K, Come on Ugly your mob spelt sergent with a j

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Only the post options for change 1st Bn which was mainly the old second Bn. My mob spelt it with a G Come on Somerset and Cornwall!

5. Armscote is the correct spelling I believe. Cote has it's origins in Old English meaning small house as in Cottage.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its just those northern monkeys that kant shpell propurley den!

7. Might this be a clue? Way back when the Fyrd (I think this is the right period but don't quote me) was in vogue, the weapons were furnished by the parish and kept centrally, sometimes in the church. Armscote could have rural origins as it seems to mean a small enclosure in which to keep things safe.

Just a thought.

8. I had wondered that myself. I suspect that the "c" or "k" would be just variations if you go back far enough.

An Indian origin sounds plausible.

9. All my coats have arms! Is that an arms coat?

I'll fetch it now :oops:

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thinking back the armscote was a seperate building but the armoury was a room inside another building. Perhaps its the seperation that counts. I didnt here the word Armscote after leaving the regs as all the TA drill halls had internal armouries.

11. You could be rght there with many terms in the British Army's lexicon originating from India. The word 'kotta' means fort.

12. Interesting. Arms Fort makes sense - especially with a stand alone armoury.

13. I'm sure it is spelled with a "k", and I believe it to be Gurkhali/ indian in origin.

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I always saw it spelt with a 'c' as in Armscote, but then I was in the Royal Signals, we just know about wiggly amps and things ;)

15. Always with a K in the Scottish infantry.