Origin of artificers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Industry, May 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings, found this website while doing research on a shipwreck that had been chartered by the British Army in order to occupy Florida in 1764. The documents say that the artificer's tools, among other things,were lost. Have been trying to make sure I have correct definition of artificer for this time period, and have my facts straight. This is what I have so far, could anyone tell me if this is correct or reccomend a source for the correct information? Many thanks. (The ship was the INDUSTRY).

"The broad axes recovered from the site 8SJ3478 were small and utilitarian, fitting in quite nicely with the mission of the Industry to deliver artificer’s tools to the army sent to protect and inhabit England’s new frontier. In 1764 the British Corps of Engineers (established in 1717) oversaw Artificer Companies consisting of contracted civilian artisans and laborers who undertook the “hard work” of construction upon occupation."
  2. An Artificer WAS a tradesman of the highest quality who had the supervisory role of overseeing construction of of any engineering task.
    Both Navy and Army had them.
  3. Doubtless you googled this. I did and it led me into loads of old US Army units - might be worth following up on them as they obviously got it from us and this might be explained on a US tiffy website?