Orientals in the U.K.

#1
Looking at the recent clashes in Birmingham, the radicalisation of Muslim youth, numerous incidents between African/ Caribbean and white youths etc, could someone tell me why you never hear of any of the above from the Chinese / Oriental immigrants living in the U.K.
How come they can manage to get along with their lives without recourse to riots, constant whining about racism, preferrential treatment etc and the aforementioned Muslims etc can't.
If all immigrants were like the Chinese etc I doubt if anyone would have a problem with them, hard working law abiding people...
 
#3
Simples.

The "Orientals" and most other Asians I know are far too hard working, and family orientated to waste time on such things.

My Jewish friends, those who are religious minded, confine their arguments amongst themselves arguing about the finer points of the Torah etc.

Make a living, get a roof over your head and feed the family that's their priorities, and they'll work longer hours than the workshy or the "9-5 and no more" brigade and will work the hours and do the jobs we don't want to as well.

Good on them I say. :D

Just don't walk into a take away and say to the lass behind the counter "Chow Mine doll?".
 
#4
I've never had any problems with any Chinnesse in the UK, in fact I haven't had a problem with Indians, Russians, Polish, Hungarians or even the Welsh! :D

(However I was once short-changed by a Latvian, wouldn't normally worry me but I had a nasty itch for a week.) :oops:
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
le_crabe_tambour said:
Looking at the recent clashes in Birmingham, the radicalisation of Muslim youth, numerous incidents between African/ Caribbean and white youths etc, could someone tell me why you never hear of any of the above from the Chinese / Oriental immigrants living in the U.K.
How come they can manage to get along with their lives without recourse to riots, constant whining about racism, preferrential treatment etc and the aforementioned Muslims etc can't.
If all immigrants were like the Chinese etc I doubt if anyone would have a problem with them, hard working law abiding people...
you're just being a capitalist lackey running dog with no respect for other cultures. or something.

hand yourself in for political re-education forthwith comrade - dont make us denounce you publicly.
 
#6
maguire said:
with no respect for other cultures. or something.

hand yourself in for political re-education forthwith comrade - dont make us denounce you publicly.
Did anyone notice anything Frog about his nom de plume???

No, me neither... :D
 
#7
Orientals in the UK seem to be very patient with the stereotypes about Chinese people in the popular media.

Worst of all are the adverts: no jar of sweet and sour or stir-fry crap can be sold without dozens of Chinee "Ah-so" types flying through the air clutching chopsticks.

The worst offender is Uncle Ben's stir-fry rice, the aroma of which attracts dozens of 'coolies' wearing conical hats, pigtails and silk pyjamas from all across town.

If they advertised their rice showing loads of contented black slaves plucking at banjoes and shouting "massa", they would be taken off the air.
 
#8
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Orientals in the UK seem to be very patient with the stereotypes about Chinese people in the popular media.

Worst of all are the adverts: no jar of sweet and sour or stir-fry crap can be sold without dozens of Chinee "Ah-so" types flying through the air clutching chopsticks.

The worst offender is Uncle Ben's stir-fry rice. If they advertised their rice showing loads of contented black slaves plucking at banjoes and shouting "massa", they would be taken off the air.
Ah so is actually a Japanese phrase, much parodied and ridiculed but it means basically "right, with you, the penny has dropped". Its a shorter from of the polite "Ah, so des!!".

Agreed re the uncle ben's, but I like the stir fry advert at the moment that has the kung fu chop socky chappies turning up at the house at tea time.

Orientals have had so much stick over the years, even before the railroads in the USA, they bear it, but don't pull the tiger's tail.
 
#9
le_crabe_tambour said:
Looking at the recent clashes in Birmingham, the radicalisation of Muslim youth, numerous incidents between African/ Caribbean and white youths etc, could someone tell me why you never hear of any of the above from the Chinese / Oriental immigrants living in the U.K.
How come they can manage to get along with their lives without recourse to riots, constant whining about racism, preferrential treatment etc and the aforementioned Muslims etc can't.
If all immigrants were like the Chinese etc I doubt if anyone would have a problem with them, hard working law abiding people...
The racism thing - One of my best mates "British born Chinese" or BBC. He was telling me ages back now him and his brother got some sh*te of some little chav on the bus spouting of some racist "chinese" jokes. Him and his brother then offered to break all their faces. Racism stopped. He reckons that sort of attitude for Chinese people is pretty standard.

And I think they dont moan all that much about the country as most of them are hardworking folks who just crack on with their lives, minus the 10 percenters of course. :p
 
#10
jarrod248 said:
Are you mad? Don't you realise that there is a chinese takeaway in even the smallest village, each one has a stash of AK 47's and they are ready for a communist take over worldwide. I'd watch what you say i've been watching mine for decades I know what they are up to. Don't ever order chinese food they are after us.
They'll have you by the sweet and sour balls! :)
 
T

Tremaine

Guest
#11
Come to think of it, never had any issue, ever, with an "oriental" or Asian person, like the folks from India or Nepal, come to that. No axe to grind nor radicalism, possibly ( and I standby to be corrected). :D

Now, what was I going to say...er, cough well, ahem Takeaways, loads of them, everywhere. :oops: Sorry to mention this, but, really :evil: .....and leaflets, effin millions of them, every day, everywhere, well...Bengal Palace this, the Hot Wok that, well I mean they're everywhere aint they? Yes.....No??? :oops: Hat, Coat, ........gone
 
#12
Triads active in the United Kingdom
Wo Shing Wo
The Wo Shing Wo is considered by authorities to be the largest Triad operating in Britain. Although largely based in Manchester, it also has affiliated groups in Birmingham, Glasgow and London and smaller groups in Bristol, Newcastle, Stoke-on-trent and Cardiff. Although members are recruited in the traditional manner, many members include prominent businessmen who either ally with the organization for their own protection or as full associates participants in their criminal activities. Although they abide by the territorial urban districts of other Triad organizations, often centered around a Chinese cultural club or martial arts associations, they have been involved in extortion activities over wide area as far as Truro and Great Yarmouth.
14k Triad
Despite its declining power since its first appearance in the early 1950s, the 14k Triad remains the oldest and well established in the underworld as the second largest Triad organization operating in the UK. Based primarily in London and Liverpool, the 14k continues its traditional activities of loansharking and extortion of Chinese businesses although they have also had a history of targeting other immigrant groups such as Indian and Pakistani running corner shops and small factories (however, West Indians have been more likely to report incidents of harassment and intimidation than their Asian counterparts). Much of the Triads membership is made up of teenagers or illegal Chinese immigrants and there are now confirmed reports of non-Chinese and female members as well.
Yep, terribly nice chaps to a man, those Chinese. :wink:

I think the serious point here is that every nationality has its criminal and/or extremist element, the Chinese are no exception. Niether are the British for that matter.
 
#13
Mugatu2 said:
Triads active in the United Kingdom
Wo Shing Wo
The Wo Shing Wo is considered by authorities to be the largest Triad operating in Britain. Although largely based in Manchester, it also has affiliated groups in Birmingham, Glasgow and London and smaller groups in Bristol, Newcastle, Stoke-on-trent and Cardiff. Although members are recruited in the traditional manner, many members include prominent businessmen who either ally with the organization for their own protection or as full associates participants in their criminal activities. Although they abide by the territorial urban districts of other Triad organizations, often centered around a Chinese cultural club or martial arts associations, they have been involved in extortion activities over wide area as far as Truro and Great Yarmouth.
14k Triad
Despite its declining power since its first appearance in the early 1950s, the 14k Triad remains the oldest and well established in the underworld as the second largest Triad organization operating in the UK. Based primarily in London and Liverpool, the 14k continues its traditional activities of loansharking and extortion of Chinese businesses although they have also had a history of targeting other immigrant groups such as Indian and Pakistani running corner shops and small factories (however, West Indians have been more likely to report incidents of harassment and intimidation than their Asian counterparts). Much of the Triads membership is made up of teenagers or illegal Chinese immigrants and there are now confirmed reports of non-Chinese and female members as well.
Yep, terribly nice chaps to a man, those Chinese. :wink:

I think the serious point here is that every nationality has its criminal and/or extremist element, the Chinese are no exception. Niether are the British for that matter.
This thread is'nt about immigrant criminality, ( read it properly) its about why the Oriental races in the UK are quite content to get on with their lives without the constant accusations of racism against them like some others I could mention.
 
#14
le_crabe_tambour said:
This thread is'nt about immigrant criminality, ( read it properly) its about why the Oriental races in the UK are quite content to get on with their lives without the constant accusations of racism against them like some others I could mention.
Well said le crabe tambour

:clap: :clap: :clap:
 
#16
hmm, ive been reading this thread with interest.
Im a british born chinese and have been asked by so many people why chinese people dont kick up much of a fuss. During the Oldham riots (not far from my house), i wondered why this never happened with the chinese community.

i really dont have the answer, perhaps something to do with the Hong Kong (where most chinese immigrants are from) being a Former British colony, we have a more of a understanding of western culture - a bit like Indians i guess.

The vast majority of chinese people dont have deep religious beliefs (otherwise the casinos would be empty) and i guess that plays a big part - its easier to adopt to a different culture than change/amend your own religious views.