Orders of Dress

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blonde_guy, Nov 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My general interest in military traditions, uniforms and my recent thread on tent caps got me thinking; what is the most ludicrous order of dress you have seen a member (most likely an officer) of the British Army in?

When I was in the CCF about 9/10 years ago, we had one teacher who had recently joined the profession from a cavalry regiment. He would turn up on parades and exercises in tropical combats (the luminous type) with a 58 belt & scrim net as a cravat. To top it all off, he wore his SD hat and carried a riding crop. Everyone else was in C95s.
  2. Mess tin order (webbing belt, 2 mess tins suspended from it, smaller at the front)
  3. I was hoping for British Army, not Jonny Foreigner or Legion of Frontiersmen!
  4. Me in 1984 attending the All Arms Tactics Course. As an officer in N Battery the Eagle Troop of 2nd Field Regiment my summer order barrack dress included nothing issued by the giovernment and no insignia other than my cap badge that identified me as a member of the British Army.

2nmd Regiment Stone coloured shirt, 2nd Regiment Stone coloured trousers, battery stable belt, Eagle battery Buttons on side hat, 2nd Regiment pattern rank slides.
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The London Scottish officer's Patrols take some beating. Known as the Pink Panther suit it consists of Hodden Grey Trews and a No1 dress type jacket with Scottish cutaway front in Hodden Grey with blue collar and gauntlet cuffs and one of those nasty self coloured belts that have crept back into FAD topped off with a Glen Garry.

Hodden Grey is one of the smartest tartans going but the Pink Panther suit is a step too far!
  6. Quite possibly one of those threads where it's best not to ask for photographs.........
  7. Hmm sounds familiar; would fit into the yeomanry rather well. The ICCY C1990 had a squadron leader who was regularly seen on exercise in boots, DPM trousers, worn loose at the ankles, WDgns stable belt (don't ask me where he got that or why he wore it rather than his own squadron's) SD shirt with cravat, barrack dress jersey, barbour (worn open), 58 pattern belt with pistol and S10 pouch, riding crop. Amazingly James wasn't (quite) as mad as this suggests: anybody who can bollock the then Home Secretary (Leon Brittan) on an exercise while dressed like that can't be all bad
  8. Or if you do, at least put it in the naafi.....
  9. What's wrong with that form of dress? Perfectly respectable to me!
  10. Before Combat 95 was issued the Watchkeepers pool had some very sartorial officers.

In those days the pool had no formal QM dept but did have a large number of officers who had served in regiments long gone from the army list. In 1993 I was on exercise with officers dressed as West African Frontier Force (he had been in the pools since finishing his National Service), Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and the only two Scots Guards in the TA (allowed to keep their cap badges by kind permission of GOC London District, who had been a subaltern in Peters company).

The oddest item of dress I have seen was one of those dpm twat hats (the baseball type thing) that had had a piece of material sewn on to make it look like a foreign legion kepi, worn by the Brigade Commander of 19 Lt Bde.
  11. My JSC had several watchkeeper/PInfo/CIMIC/PQO types whoe were resplendant in HDiv rig. No strange in itself until one wondered why there was a Life Guard, Guardsman and ALS Officer on a TA course.
  12. From the same Watchkeeper pool I recall such sartorial delights as:

- Khaki WW2-era (?) V-neck jumpers with the draw-string at the waist
    - green woolly-pullies with near-white patches
    - official pattern woolly-pullies in brown, khaki, puce, sage green, desert, etc
    - all shades of puttees, from near-white, through green, to some russet-coloured examples
    - web anklets, on someone for whom puttees were a bit nouveaux..
    - 1950s-era jungle boots (the type like high-top plimsolls)
    - various Scottish things which I have no idea were uniform or not
    - green denims
    - desert denims + desert boots (original dezzies, that is)
    - a huge green parka with a furry hood ("it was issued to me in Gander in '64...)
    - about 500 different Gunner jumpers/trousers/footwear combinations ("you can check with my Ajdt, but unfortunately the Battery went into suspended animation in '67...")
    - several small dogs
    - blackthorn/bamboo/mahogany/hazel - staffs, canes, walking sticks(?), etc

In c.1985 my Regiment in BAOR compelled all its 12-odd subalterns to attend a Divisional "Young Officer Study Day". We thus ensured that we attended wearing 12 different orders of dress - mostly created. Combined with the other Gunner regiments - most of which already had a "special" type of jumper or trouser - we must have come close to 40 different orders of dress. This compared favourably with the rather earnest subbies from the infantry & armoured Regiments, who were depressingly clone-like in their turnout. The Div Comd duly had one of his anti-Gunner "turns", and wrote a snotty note to our CO. Extras all round, although our CO was the first to recognises that "extras all round" between 12 subalterns - all with track records - in fact made no difference at all to the duty roster....
  13. The heasd of my CCF was still wearing puttees & DMS boots and using 58 pattern kit in 2000!
  14. I was once inspected by the duty officer wearing a hussar braided jacket held to her quite delightful figure by several large visible safety pins. Punk yeomanry