Order of wear for medals

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by king174, Feb 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all - hopefully someone can help.

Got home today and grandaughter has been playing with medals and court mounting has come apart. As I am retired I need to go to civi tailor to get them done again but can't remember order. I have the following

GSM NI
    LS&GC
    Silver Jubilee medal
    Golden Jubilee medal
    UN medal for Former Yugoslavia

Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. The three campaign medals in order of date awarded
    QSJM
    QGJM
    LSGC

3. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've found messdress.com very helpful for court mounting. They offer an excellent next day service.
    Other tailors are available.

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It's a small distinction, but the order of wear is actually in order of the date of qualification. It's not often that medals are awarded out of sync with qualification, but it does happen e.g. I know one chap who was awarded his Iraq Medal for Telic 2 a few years before he actually submitted a claim for, and was awarded, his South Atlantic Medal and GSM N.Ireland.

5. Agreed! A service that is second to none, and a very quick turnaround. Also, a very reasonable price too!

6. I'm sorry but i am going to stick my head out and say that i smell a rat here.

If you have had these five medals for this number of years, i find it hard to believe that you have forgotten the order of wear.

You should at least of remembered the patten of colours or the dates awarded.

I do hope that you are not a "Walt" trying to string a convincing set of gongs together.

If you are genuine (gulp) I will put my hands up and apologise ...... Fair ?

7. Perhaps I am going blind in my old age, but reading the original thread, I can only see two campaign medals, the GSM NI and UN Medal for the Former Yugoslavia. Can someone tell me what the third campaign medal is ?

8. The battle of Jubilee. :)

9. Nicely baited! ; )

10. NI and Bosnia along with a couple of Jubilees and a Not Being Caught medal is hardly the kind of military history that your average Walt is going to go for, is it?

11. Hmmm ... Depends on what the car boot vendor had left in stock ! L.O.L !

12. served from 1970 to 2004 - only managed to get in 34 years service! Worked in civis for past 5 years - not e ven able to wear on 11th November. Will accept your hands up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. ESAD ! Eat shit and die!!

14. how did you manage a QSJM as an OR? They were rarer than hen's teeth?

15. I was about to ask the same thing, wasn't it only the RSM and the youngest soldier in the regiment who got them (As ORs).