Order of Precedence

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Feb 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Can anyone supply me with, or point me in the direction of where to find, the current Order of Precendence in the British Army. Am current in on Ops and don't have access to Army Lists etc. Much thanks!
  2. I think JSP 101 lists the OoP. I think there is also something in a Signals JSP for Message Wriitng. Even though you're on Ops, such Publications are obligatory but may be in electronic format (Electronic Battlebox?). Speak to your ORQMS or Chief Clerk.
  3. I'll think you'll find the Planks are Right of Line :wink:
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think you will find that 'planks' are not Line. Infantry are Line and The Royal Scots are Right of Line. before some woodentop spouts off - they are not Line but Household.

Remember all, that the job of everyone in the army, navy and air force who are not infantry is to, purely and simply, get the infantry to their place of work and support them when they get there.
  5. all I know is the signals come right after the Engineers which really p*sses off all the other capbadges
  6. From the link above:

British Army Order of Precedence
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

For the purposes of parading, the British Army is listed according to an order of precedence. This is the order in which the various corps of the army parade, from right to left, with the unit at the extreme right being highest. Under ordinary circumstances, the Household Cavalry parades at the extreme right of the line. However, when on parade with its guns, it is the Royal Horse Artillery (usually in the form of the King's Troop) that goes to the right. The usual order of precedence is:

* Household Cavalry
    * Royal Horse Artillery
    * Royal Armoured Corps
    * Royal Regiment of Artillery
    * Corps of Royal Engineers
    * Royal Corps of Signals
    * Foot Guards
    * Line Infantry
    * Army Air Corps
    * Services
    o Royal Army Chaplains Department
    o Royal Logistic Corps
    o Royal Army Medical Corps
    o Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
    o Adjutant General's Corps
    o Royal Army Veterinary Corps
    o Small Arms School Corps
    o Royal Army Dental Corps
    o Intelligence Corps
    o Army Physical Training Corps
    o General Service Corps
    o Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps
    o Corps of Army Music
    o Royal Gibraltar Regiment

I'll get my coat :lol:
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Recce, 19 & Jemima,

Thanks guys! It wasn't (believe it or not) a pointless exercise and your help's been much appreciated. On a digressing (sic?) note, why are RGJ/Rifle Regts last in the line, were we not "of the line" as it were? Not that I mind, we're in decent company at that end of the list :wink:
  8. If the Navy is also 'on parade', do they stand right of right of the line?
  9. RP578, in answer to your question as to why the RGJ/Rifles are last in the order of precedence it is because the unnumbered regiment The Rifle Brigade has served longest as a rifle regiment. No number, hence last. Answer found on Jimima Shark's excellent link, note 8.
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah did see that, but it seemed to be directly contradicted by,
    Ho Hum, as I said there's a better class of scallywag at that end of the line anyways.
  11. This subject always causes some confusion - and its surprising how **** some people get about the distribution section of a letter!!!!!!!!!Gets even worse when you work tri-service.

Aparantly, the only sure-fire way to get it right every time is to buy the tea towel that has all the capbadges on it, conveniently in precedence order. Aparantly thats the only true source for the Army order of precedence!!