Mess Dress
Dinner Jacket
Blues
Ginger suit

My opponent says that ginger suit comes after Mess Dress

beer tokens resting on your comments chaps

Mess Dress

Ginger Suit

Combats & Sash (surrounded by a guardroom)

Edited to add: I wouldn't even entertain the option of dinner suits......you'll never get the feckers in mess kit again.....

E-Layer said:
Mess Dress

Ginger Suit

Edited to add: I wouldn't even entertain the option of dinner suits......you'll never get the feckers in mess kit again.....
Our Badge has just authorised 2 new Mess Members to wear DJ's at a dinner night - they have only been Sgts 4 months !! - I am sure that is long enough to buy said drinking tracksuit :roll:

E-Layer said:
Mess Dress

Ginger Suit

Well said and fully agree!

Mighty_Blighty said:
E-Layer said:
Mess Dress

Ginger Suit

Our Badge has just authorised 2 new Mess Members to wear DJ's at a dinner night - they have only been Sgts 4 months !! - I am sure that is long enough to buy said drinking tracksuit :roll:
Where's their incentive to get Mess Kit?

You only have to do one Dinner Night in 2's to realise that Mess Kit is the preferred option.

Mr_Relaxed said:
Mighty_Blighty said:
E-Layer said:
Mess Dress

Ginger Suit

Where's their incentive to get Mess Kit?

You only have to do one Dinner Night in 2's to realise that Mess Kit is the preferred option.
Hadnt worn my mess dress for nearly 3 years because of recruiting post last but already worn it six times in last six months at new post. Want to get as much use out of it in my last three years. Agree with rather the mess dress than 2's you can get the stains out the trousers easier.

Mighty_Blighty said:
E-Layer said:
Mess Dress

Ginger Suit

Your badge (and the 2 individuals) need their arrses kicking mate (particularly your badge though).

Seeing as the time between being selected and actually wearing it would probably extend this 4 months by anywhere between 1 and 8 months on average they have had ample time??

You could also argue that it didn't come as a complete shock to them and that their CR, time served and "gut feeling" should have been sufficient combat indicators for them to at least start trawling ebay or military tailors for quotes in the run up to the board.

I bought mine the day I came of the Sgts' board :D used to wear it to nail the wife in front of the mirror (Sharpe Fetishes and all that :wink: ).

Legoman said:
E-Layer said:
Mess Dress

Ginger Suit

Well said and fully agree!
Maintain standards, self-respect and a bit of pride. Always very well worth the moderate cost and effort.

essexbob said:
I have a bet on that the preferred order of dress for formal dinners is:

Mess Dress
Dinner Jacket
Blues
Ginger suit

My opponent says that ginger suit comes after Mess Dress

beer tokens resting on your comments chaps
What's a ginger suit?

Oooh! I feel proper embarrassed now. :oops:

I picked up my third 22 years ago and still haven't got mess dress. Initially, we never had any mess functions, so there was no point. Later, we had a dinner every two years - still not much point.

Now we have a dinner every year and the younger members look really cute, resplendent in their red jackets and striped trousers. Many of the older fogeys stick with DJs simply because for the last 10+ years, we've been anticipating retirement but the age limit keeps increasing. Not much point in getting kitted out for an anticipated maximum of five uses.

Perhaps if I'm left as the only DJ-wearer on the mess photo, I may get round to it. But then again, perhaps not. It's almost a symbol of seniority.

E-Layer said:
Mess Dress

I bought mine the day I came of the Sgts' board :D used to wear it to nail the wife in front of the mirror (Sharpe Fetishes and all that :wink: ).
:D Quality. I wasn't going to buy Mess Dress (ACF Mess and all that) but now might start looking for old RGJ or LI sets on Ebay!

Latest Threads