Orange signal boost

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by Porridge_gun, Nov 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

My house carries a thoroughly dog toffee signal on Orange, even when merged with T mobile mast sharing.

I've been scanning around for a solution and found this

Orange and T-Mobile Mobile Phone Signal Booster Repeater

Anyone used one, any experience of one?

I think my problem is the densness of the walls, they are 3 ft thick in places, but if I could mount that near a window and be able to use the handset in the home office it would save me having to stand like a handicapped belmer each time I answer the cellular.

Any assistance, will of course be gratefully received, probably scoffed at and ridiculed for being geek enough to know.

2. I set something like this up for family whilst over in NZ a couple of years ago. It comes in a couple of parts, but the main ones are a high gain outdoor unit and then a cable that you run into the indoor unit that then repeats the signal. It worked well for them (on Vodafone over there), but it will only give you a signal if the outdoor unit can pick one up. Am I right in thinking that you have a reasonable signal outdoors but it's pants indoors? If so, it should do the job, though you might have to play with the ODU to find a good signal for the IDU to repeat. In NZ their house was all wood and so the signal was repeated well all over the house. If your walls are that thick you may still have problems in rooms that are distant from the IDU.

Does that help?

3. Tried removing some of the foam-padding from the walls?

4. You could try putting some f-ucking huge 3G signal boosters in your loft, like the ones Orange have back of house in all of their shops so they can say "Look, great signal here isn't it"

And yes, they do have them in both the Blackpool shops mate - I saw them installed when I refurbished them both :)

5. If you use a Blackberry you can use your wireless network router to connect to the UMA function on your phone, this acts as a signal booster. It takes my phone from zero bars to 3 in 0 seconds flat.

Hope that helps.

P.S If you are using another type of smart phone, check the manual, it might have something similar

6. Porridge_gun

UMA is dog shit and makes the handset worse and drop more calls.

7. Personally never had a problem with it. Only trying to help.

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

this'll work! sometimes.

Attached Files:

9. Porridge_gun

Yeah, you use the word 'work' and a picture of 'Royal signals' in the same post.

Ive more chance of getting a troop of frequency pixies to hand deliver a better reception

10. That'll learn you for going with Orange and expecting a phone signal. Are you due for renewal? If so, go for Vodafone and get their Sure signal.

DSCF4505.jpg
    (Box on right - looks just like a wireless router and plugs into your broadband)

I live in a crap signal area for all networks. I used to have to go outside to make or recieve a call. Now I can get a full signal all the way through my shitty SFA. You register phones that you want to use with it (really easy) so that the neighbours / pikeys don't get access. Robert's your Fathers Brother.

You gonna tell me you're on dial up internet now?