Orange River South Africa

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by STABALTERN69, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm about to embark on a week long work trip to a town called Prieska, NC, which is next to the Orange River and I was wondering if any fellow Arrsers had been down that way and fished the river?

Thinking of taking two travel rods one for fly and one for spinning. My fly outfit is pretty well squared away but not sure about what lures to get for talapia and perch. If anyone has any advice it would be great to hear your thoughts.

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Be prepared for an extremely large culture shock.

3. Thanks for that, I've been once to J'Berg and Pretoria and that was shocking in itself, this will be my first time in the sticks. On that note should I invest in some personal protection or should the usual precautions suffice?

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

DO NOT SHAG THE LOCALS!

It is highly unlikely you'll catch any fish - I've never actually heard of anyone fishing in the Orange river before...dip your hand in up to the wrist and you won't be able to see your fingers.

It's in the middle of a desert in late summer - make sure you buy a BIG ******* cooler box and stock it with drinks. Ensure that you have a large supply of whiskey in your luggage so you have something to do in the evening.

Oh and buy the best medical evacuation insurance that you can afford. Apart from that...

[​IMG]

5. I've been told by a chum that there are yellow fish in there, but point taken maybe I will wait till next time if there is a next time. On the note of tomfoolery with the locals, I can't say it's really my bag and useful tips on Whiskey and Cool Boxes. Thanks for your advice Schaden, very much appreciated.

6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Yellowness could be from HIV.

7. Yes it is orange, it's also known as 'The Mystical Magical River Of Gatorade'