Opus Dei - well meaning Christians, or nutters?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by far2young2die, Jan 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having plowed through the Da Vinci Code (Xmas present from someone who will be getting socks next year) I was a bit concerned about Opus Dei (I know we've only heard of it cos one of Bliars Babes), being a staunch (non-practising) CofE I wondered if they were as shady as they are portrayed?

Seem harmless enough on their website.

Please no strong anti-cathloicism, just wondered about them is all.
  2. RTFQ

Not a fan of the church, and I enjoyed the book, but the theories and conclusions of it don't really stand against any real research. It's a good novel with some interesting ideas that appeal to the conspiracy theorists among us, but a history book it ain't. This is born out by the ludicrous statement made on the first page, it goes something like "All events in this book are historically correct", Anthony Beevor doesn't even make statements like that. The whole priory of sion conspiracy thing came about from some swarthy frenchmen playing Men-in-Blackin the 50's.

Opus Dei did slot JFK though, I've got the evidence...
  3. I thought the book was OK too - bit heavy in places. It was only cos of wasserface (Min for Ed?) being in the news as belonging I wondered. Personally I think it's shocking that someone who has children, is happily married, opposes abortion on religious grounds and has a strong faith should be allowed anywhere near kids education. She'll be encouraging morality next, undoing years of good old lefty work!

Not religious either, but the catholic church make such good baddies!
  4. OD website has been mentioned. When I read the book I found something from them on the web which was an answer to the allegations in the book. This left me a bit more unsure but it added to the book. Too bluddy idle to google for it now but that's how I found it.
  5. There is an awful lot of nonsense written and spoken about Opus Dei - The DaVinci Code heading the list. I have known members for a number of years and other than being more religious than is 'normal' in the modern age, I would say that they are perfectly normal, clean-living people. The perception that they are somehow secret stems from ignorance, fear and good old-fashioned anti-Catholicism. Like the Knights of the Order of the Temple (or Templars as many today insist on calling them), Opus Dei are the religious equivalent of the CIA or Mossad when it comes to apportioning blame in Conspiracyland.

Here in Ireland, Opus Dei is heavily involved in charity work and the publishing industry - hardly the chosen vocations of 'secret' organisations - and run a number of universtiy student residences in the Dublin area. Left-wing types are wont to imagine all sorts of weird and wonderful things about them, but then that is their way.

The founder of Opus Dei was one Saint Josémaria Escriva de Balaguer, canonized in October 2002. He was on the Reds' hit-list during the Spanish Civil War, and afterwards many Opus Dei members came to prominenece in the Francoist administration in the period 1939-75, to a large extent facilitating the transferal of government after the Caudillo's death.

Catholics, especially members of the Church, have traditionally made credible 'baddies' - hence the albino Opus Dei monk assassin in The DaVinci Code; there is no such thing as an Opus Dei monk, although members of the clergy can join - such facts have not troubled Dan Brown however. His book is an entertaining, if long-winded read, but factually and historically it is rubbish.
  6. So you don't think the Templars are secretly holding the Holy Grail in a temple near Malta then? Me neither.

I'd agree that the Church in general is an easy target as baddies, bit like the English in Hollywood, personally I thought the book was a bit too heavy - but I can't believe the amount of coverage it is getting in the Press as an 'historical' piece of work.

Can't beat a good conspiracy theory!
  7. You would say that!
  8. Found a big gold key in my desk earlier. Got a cross on it. Some monk's been asking for me at reception. What should I do?

Concerned of Yorkshire. :?
  9. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Opus Deo (Work of God) is basically a movement within the RC Church. It is open to priests and religious as well as the laity and it is approved by Rome. Esentially it is a conservative movement in that many member favour the old latin mass and the practice of saying the 5 offices of the hours rather than the modern 3. Preists and religious can become members of OD and the laity have a seperate role in that they "consecreate" their live by vowing to live according to the lifestyle of the organisation in terms of piety and charitable works. It's no different to other Catholic orders such as the Knights of St John or the Knights of St Columba who all are heavily involved in community charity and who organise retreats and theological and biblican study and prayer.

What they are not is some doomesday sect or "Illuminati" trying to take over the world, or Vatican assasins, or secret police, or anything like the things they have been portrayed as. Having a latin name also helps attract the intrigue of the anti-Catholic lunatics who have us all in leage with Satan against their minimlaist/protestant ideals of heaven on earth. That end of the anti-RC fire and brimstone Protestants aren't really that far removed frmo the Taliban when all said and done, so why let the truth get in the way of their lunacy?
  10. Run. Run really, really fast. :twisted:
  11. Now some munter's asking me to ring the US embassy. There's a wino on the floor who's p~ssed up a wall in mysterious numbers. Sh~te! The shutters are coming down, and the monk's lifting up his robe and.........aaaagghh!
  12. Should have specified not anti-protism as well!

As I said earlier I am not religious at all and it was a genuine question, the Sun seem to use the words Zealot and Fanatic a lot - which is not recommendation I know.

That said I think the history of the Church in Rome does inspire these sort of things for good reason - Cathars anyone?
  13. In many ways the most interesting thing about Dan Browns book is the fact that it brings to the attentions of the masses, just what a mongrel (not in a derogatory sense, mind) christianity is - it is effectively the cherry picked bits of lots of Mediteranean religions and paganism, most probably pulled together as has been hypothesied by Dan Brown during Constantines reign to appeal to the widest possible audience.

Aside from that it is good for the airport...
  14. I think that it was the common sense thing to do - people don't suddenly stop believing something a thousand years old cos their King got himself baptised. The early church in Britain & especially in Ireland always located itself near previously 'religious' sites. A lot of Iron age hillforts and old stone rings have churches built in them.

So. Not nutters then? Good.
  15. Read Da Vinci Code ages ago, and whilst not a bad read, it was pretty far fetched and frankly stupid at times. Honestly, some of the threads were just too much. But at the end of the day, he is the working man's Umberto Eco, so he has to write down to his audience.

Opus Dei, is simply a more conservative organisation that looks to the roots of Christianity, before it became an organised religion. As GG has mentioned, this is one of the reasons the Left hate it. Belief in anything other than man's ability to create an utopian existence, is anathema to those morons.

I have family members who are in it, and I have yet to see the self flagellation scars!

I don't particularly think Brown is anti-Catholic (but I wouldn't put it pass him) and if you read his other books, he simply loves a good conspiracy.