Options resit GCSE Maths

EP7137

Crow
Hello everyone,

First post! Let the carnage unfold :)
I went to school outside the UK, the degree is 'transferrable' but I did fail maths in some years so NRC said the Officer application will not progress. On the application I've mentioned all quals including a UK Bachelor, 2 UK Master degrees and a PhD (psychology; but not compatible with current PQO roles as it's not 'clinical'). I am considering options for gaining a GCSE Maths asap. Does anybody have any experience with this? The latest call advised me to either 'have' the GCSE or apply for soldier roles without the Maths requirements... But then one AFCO mentioned there are roles that might be lenient with requirements if you have higher qualifications than listed. I'm not sure how this can be compatible if it will stop the application in its tracks? Any thoughts? Also, I'm perfectly happy to consider soldier roles, I would just like to make sure that will be an appropriate route given my case. Thank you!

Last edited:

RonS

Clanker
You can sit GCSE at any Tech College they will obtain the paper regardless of whether you studied there,
The Military Education Departments can usually obtain papers after the late entry deadline. I sat GCE "O" Level Maths in Oman and my application was weeks past the late entry cut off.

Hello everyone,

First post! Let the carnage unfold :)
I went to school outside the UK, the degree is 'transferrable' but I did fail maths in some years so NRC said the Officer application will not progress. On the application I've mentioned all quals including a UK Bachelor, 2 UK Master degrees and a PhD (psychology; but not compatible with current PQO roles as it's not 'clinical'). I am considering options for gaining a GCSE Maths asap. Does anybody have any experience with this? The latest call advised me to either 'have' the GCSE or apply for soldier roles without the Maths requirements... But then one AFCO mentioned there are roles that might be lenient with requirements if you have higher qualifications than listed. I'm not sure how this can be compatible if it will stop the application in its tracks? Any thoughts? Also, I'm perfectly happy to consider soldier roles, I would just like to make sure that will be an appropriate route given my case. Thank you!
From experience of the old system when you were interviewed by an eccentric old major prior to RCB he bluntly told me that although my A Levels were below the standard required, I had a degree 'in a decent subject.' So he recommended me, the logic being that the higher qual cancelled it out.
The current system is run by civvies who are worse than useless -if you don’t tick the box, they can’t see beyond to your other quals.

So my advice would be to get it, not just for the army; you’ll do yourself a favour for the future. It’s easy to focus on the army as it’s right in front of you, but you’ll probably have a second, maybe even third career.

Get it done and out of the way. The first Mrs Pv did it externally through a further education college and the papers I saw were piss easy. It was almost like the 11 plus I did about a bazillion years ago.

Try a further education college as stated above. At the same time, get a private tutor for one hour a week to cover gaps in understanding. You want a grade 4 or better 5. The tutor would advise you on entry level which you could discuss with your college tutor.

Aim to pay about £25 per hour for private tuition and get a tutor who has a maths. degree and ideally who has taught across the full age and ability range so will be used to people who have had difficulties with the subject.

Good luck.

EP7137

Crow
Thank you all for these useful replies! I've looked into some places that provide exams in November so will book those. Shame I won't have results until Jan... I'm surprised they don't seem to apply waivers for higher quals as this will just result in a 4-5 month delay of the application process if not more :oops: Ah well, thanks for the feedback and ideas!

Last edited:
Thank you all for useful replies! I've looked into some places that provide exams in November so will book those. Shame I won't have results until Jan...
While you're waiting, find out what exam board you will be doing papers for (usually AQA, Edexcel or OCR), look up the specification to see what's required and do all the past papers available and mark them. All of the information should be on the relevant exam board's website.

There are only so many types of question that can be asked, just with different numbers in.

Do as many past papers as you can.
There is nothing like getting a feeling for how the questions are asked.
Sometimes the maths is straightforward but the question is wrapped up in gibberish.
Good luck.

Thank you all for these useful replies! I've looked into some places that provide exams in November so will book those. Shame I won't have results until Jan... I'm surprised they don't seem to apply waivers for higher quals as this will just result in a 4-5 month delay of the application process if not more :oops: Ah well, thanks for the feedback and ideas!
This is not directed at you or your academic achievement but many, many 'graduates' do not have a basic level of English or Maths, both essential subjects in any job. GCSE is setting the bar very, very low.

Latest Threads