Options for getting a teaching job?

Excuse my ignorance, but is a PGCE an absolute requirement? My daughter was doing a B Ed in primary education, which didn’t require a PGCE.
I briefly looked at science or maths teaching when I left the mob (Plan B if I couldn't get an engineering job). STEM teachers were in such short supply that many places would take a non-PGCE teacher and put them through the programme.

I think there are still other options, such as postgrad teaching apprenticeships.

Perhaps of relevance to the subthread that spawned the quoted message is the last section:

Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeships
A group of experienced schools and teachers have led the design of this postgraduate teacher training course. This programme offers a combination of classroom teaching, practical learning and a salary.

You’ll receive a combination of classroom teaching and 20% of your time is allocated to off-the-job training as you work towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). In addition, you’ll be required to undertake an end-point assessment (EPA) in the final term to ensure you’re on track to be an effective newly qualified teacher.

School Direct (salaried)
Similar to the Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship, you'll have the opportunity to earn a salary and train to become a qualified teacher – learning from experienced teachers.

Whichever salaried course you choose, both will help you to develop your skills to become a highly effective qualified teacher. Trainees on salaried programmes are recruited and employed directly by schools, and may continue teaching in their school following training.

Both courses will award a QTS, the cost of which is covered by the school – check with your training provider to find out if this also includes a PGCE and/or Master’s-level credits.

You can find these courses on the Department for Education’s search service for England: Find Postgraduate Teacher Training, by filtering your results for ‘only courses that come with a salary’. You can also search by location, training provider and subject.

Salary
You’ll be paid and taxed as an unqualified teacher. The salary awarded will differ between schools; you should check the salary with the school before you apply for either salaried routes.

Teach First
If you’re a graduate or career changer with a 2:1 or above, you may also be eligible to join the Teach First training programme.

You’ll develop considerable teaching and leadership skills, while you earn a salary and gain a Postgraduate Diploma in Education and Leadership, which is worth double the master’s credits of a Postgraduate Certificate in Education. Additionally, you’ll gain a qualified teacher status in your first year and completing your newly qualified teacher placement in year two. Find out more on the Teach First website.

Researchers in Schools, including the Maths and Physics Chairs Programme
If you hold a PhD and have experience of working with young people, you may be eligible for the Researchers in Schools salaried route.
Is might be of interest to others if somebody with actual current knowledge could provide some further insight into the available options for teaching in the UK.

XPara Mugg

War Hero
The basic requirement for teaching in a state school is "Qualified Teacher Status" (QTS) You get this and you get a registration number which follows you through your career. There are exceptions; private schools, of course and some posts in academies, where you don't require QTS. Increasingly, cover supervisors and others working under direct (but often distant and sometimes tenuous) supervision of a qualified teacher. Cheaper, you see.

There are a number of routes to QTS: PGCE is one of them. There have been a number of "on the job" and "in service" training routes which also do the job.

A BEd which is intended to prepare people to teach (usually primary) also carries QTS. Not all BEds do though. For example, many RAF PT branch officers have BEds and these do not necessarily carry QTS. If they want to teach in a state school they must also complete a PGCE or other recognised QTS bearing qualification. It is also possible to pass a BEd but fail the teaching element and not be awarded QTS. Rare, but not unknown. These things are checked, during school inspections, along with all other safeguarding matters.

If you have existing qualifications or experience, which you want to carry into schools, find an age range/phase appropriate QTS bearing qualification. All you have to do then is, convince a group of unknowledgable, sceptical, not very bright, local worthies and proto politicians*; known as "The School Governors", that you can actually do the job. Good luck with that one. They are very wary of the unconventional.

*Other flavours of Governor are available. Some are even quite good.

What XPara Mugg said above. There is currently a shortage of STEM teachers (again) and they will throw tax-free money at you just for doing a PGCE - Bursaries and scholarships for teacher training | Get Into Teaching

Just be aware that the burnout rate is quite high, currently around 35% of all new teachers quit within 5 years.

On a good day I can't imagine doing any other job, on a bad day I seriously question why I waste hours of my life trying to help nasty little bastards. There are more good days than bad at my current place.

Just be aware that the burnout rate is quite high, currently around 35% of all new teachers quit within 5 years.

On a good day I can't imagine doing any other job, on a bad day I seriously question why I waste hours of my life trying to help nasty little bastards. There are more good days than bad at my current place.
How much training do teachers get on dealing with stressors?

--------------------------
And does such training cover not creating own goals? Our new 6th-form physics teacher made the serious error of telling us innocent little angels that, due to his experiences working in a high-energy physics lab for his MSc, things that went 'pop' or 'crackle' made him very nervous. It was amazing how many test tubes and other fragile objects got dropped on the floor behind him. Naturally, I have no idea who wired up the Van der Laugh machine to the classroom's brass door handles, but his reaction was amusing. I guess his baptism of fire wasn't quite as metaphorical as most teachers' experiences.

5 .. 4 .. 3 .. 2 .. 1 ..

How much training do teachers get on dealing with stressors?
Oh goody, a chance to get up on my high horse and waffle on about education. The short answer is bugger all.

Personally I thought that the PGCE was borderline worthless. The experience in a classroom was what counted and spending weeks sat in a university discussing educational theory was tedious. Also, coming from a proper science background, the social science aspect was laughable. I wrote all of my assessments first, then went hunting for quotes to use as references.

I think I had an advantage over some of the others as I'd spent a bit over a year working with difficult kids in a school so I went in knowing just how bad some of the little shits could be. Some of the younger idealistic people got a bit of a rude awakening about the realities of trying to get teenagers to do something they don't want to do.

The quality of training and support in schools can be quite variable. Management often lose track of what day to day teaching is like and come up with yet more shit ideas to 'help' that just end up wasting time. If you fall behind with something enough that someone senior notices then official measures get put in place that in theory help. In reality they just add to workload and make it more likely that you just jack it in.

Latest Threads