Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by oldarmr, Oct 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I am about to invest in the new Ruger 1022 tactical target. I have access to a 100m range where other members practice with both .22 benchrest rifles and lightweight sporters.
    Can anyone suggest/recommend a suitable sight, fairly high magnification, not to expensive.
    I reckon I can give them a run for their money or at least hold my own. I own a 3-9 variable but think I may need a bit more.
  2. Based on a recommendation in a Gwyn Roberts article in Target Sports magazine, I bought an Optimate 5-20x50 for my gallery rifle. These are Edgar Bros own-brand Japanese scopes. It's proved to be very good - pretty clear glass and good tracking. I think that they are about £150.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Leupold do a 2-9 x33 rimfire variable, supposed to be very good. Its more expensive than a Chinese import with an RRP of about £420, but I'm sure a dealer would be interested in cash. I am!
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm too lazy to start a new thread so I'm resurrecting this.

Scopes, I need one.

Having always worked within the higher end of the market, I'm somewhat spoilt, Zeiss or Swarovski are about all I'm familiar with. Up until recently I even had a Zeiss on the Ruger .17.

Anyway, I'll be putting together a new .270 rather soon (for myself) and will need something to match. Amazingly this will be the first rifle scope I've ever had to purchase for myself and could do with some advice.

Immediately I thought "**** it I'll just get a Zeiss Victory," unfortunately I need to feed my kids too and the wife says we can't survive on venison forever, therefore my scope budget is limited to about 3 or 400 quid.

I'm looking for something for hunting only, this thing is not going to be used on a range.

Over to you, what's good?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I just picked up an ex demo Swarovski 6 x 42 for 375 at a dealer. Its already fitted on my 7x57 for this autumns hind cull.
  6. Ravers

Ooooh ooooh I'll have some of that action.

To be honest I thought they all cost about 2 grand a pop. Working at my former employer's tends to give you a slightly blinkered and warped view of the shooting world.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

And so it should, 6x42 is good enough glass for most stalking, Swarovskis tend to be about a grand a pop for these or maybe less. Oddly enough Swarovski have stopped doing the 8x56 which leaves the market to S&B.
    Visit your local dealer, if he hasnt got any bargains in ex demo he may have something thats just come in part ex and may be willing to sell on its own.
    Good glass doesnt have to be new it just has to be cared for!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Buy the best you can afford, I regularly stick £800 to £1Ks worth of glass on £100 pound rifles, the glass will easily outlive the rifle and can easily be remounted. oddly enough I dont pay list price when I buy, I just shop around for the best deals.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I was of he same opinion when looking out a scope for my M4. I peered through a few $1500 -$2000 scopes, a few $70 - $80 specials and settled on something for $250. And honestly, I can't tell the difference between the optical quality of the $250 and a $2000 scope.

I'm now going through the same process for my recently acquired FAL and am considering either a Chowgie Leatherwood or Chowgie Weaver.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. As said for your budget you will easy pick up a second hand fixed power piece of engineering from the fatherland.

It might also be worth looking at Meopta as you could probably get a new one for that sort of cash if you shop around I considered buying one myself (7x50 but could be wrong) which was about £425 but ended up just putting on an old Simmons I had lying about as it was just for a rimmy and spent the rest on shite, as you do.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  11. Ravers

Cheers for the suggestions, I'll have a snoop around for something second hand and German.