Optical Enhancement

Having vigorously moaned and groaned during the last few six nations matches about the Ref being blind etc... My wife has suggested I get some optical enhancement.

There is an opportunity here for me to spend some hard earned cash (with minimal "budget" type justification) on a decent all rounder, set of binos... any thoughts gentlemen?

PoGs
www.pocketcomms.com

Mr_Deputy said:
They are only around £500-£700 have you anything more expensive?
I've got a riflescope that's more expensive - around £1800 to replace today but no, those are the most expensive binos I have. :)

Well you all know what Im going to say, 10x20 rubber covered £4.99 in Lidle, or 10x50 £14.99 cant go wrong at that price

tropper66 said:
Well you all know what Im going to say, 10x20 rubber covered £4.99 in Lidle, or 10x50 £14.99 cant go wrong at that price
Useless in low light. Dull colour. prisms not properly aligned which leads to a double image (this will get worse as they get knocked about) which will lead to eyestrain and headaches if used for any length of time. Shite. Avoid.

If you want a decent pair that won't break the bank look at the Nikon range. Very good value for money and very durable. Bright colours and a sharp (enough) image.

However if money is no object, Swarovski or Leica. Absolutely outstanding, bright, very sharp, rich colour transmission and tough as old boots.

I have a pair of Swarovski 10x25 compacts, which I bought second hand for £12! Cash Converters Seven Sisters Road! I don't think they knew what they were really worth :D

Another thing worth bearing in mind is most expensive isn't neccessarily best for you. Minox binos are well made but I've used Russian Zenith that performed better to me. Binoculars can be a very personal choice as we all see colour light and shade, DOF differently. Try out lots of brands, regardless of price. (Except Lidl. They will be shite)

walt_of_the_walts said:
tropper66 said:
Useless in low light. Dull colour. prisms not properly aligned which leads to a double image (this will get worse as they get knocked about) which will lead to eyestrain and headaches if used for any length of time. Shite. Avoid.

If you want a decent pair that won't break the bank look at the Nikon range. Very good value for money and very durable. Bright colours and a sharp (enough) image.

However if money is no object, Swarovski or Leica. Absolutely outstanding, bright, very sharp, rich colour transmission and tough as old boots.

I have a pair of Swarovski 10x25 compacts, which I bought second hand for £12! Cash Converters Seven Sisters Road! I don't think they knew what they were really worth :D

Considering that the Lidle Brand " Tronic" is made by Bresser I dont understand you, I recently saw an Army sniper in the QDGs with an issue Bresser telescope, I just cant see the point in getting ripped off just for a Gucci name when most of these thing are made in the same Chinese sweatshop, Oh yes, and the word you were looking for was" Paralax" which I have not had a problem with by useing these binos.
The previous pair I had were from Nauticalia, the Yachty people and cost well over a hundred pound and apart from the branding are the same as the £14.99 from Lidle, I know which pair I wont cry over when I drop them in Bristol Channel

I fully expected the Lidl special offer ones to be rubbish, but at £10 (a couple of years ago.) for the 10x50s I could live with that.
They turned out to be rather good. Light transmission is adequate, image really quite sharp, easily as good as many other more expensive optics. I saw an identical pair in a "reputable optics shop" (i.e. one that wasn't Lidl) on sale for £40.

As noted they are re-badged Bressers. Actually, they aren't. They are Bressers in a re-badged box. When a prism cracked in mine, I got a replacement direct from Bresser on the strength of an email and a picture of the damage.

The light transmission on the 10x20s is a bit low, but I'd put that down to them having a 20mm objective lenses and 10x magnification rather than any particular flaw.

There are undoubtedly better binoculars out there, but the ones I've had from Lidl were far from the worst. If parallax is percieved to be a problem, the larger ones have adjustment screws for the prisms.

incendiarycutlery said:
I fully expected the Lidl special offer ones to be rubbish, but at £10 (a couple of years ago.) for the 10x50s I could live with that.
They turned out to be rather good. Light transmission is adequate, image really quite sharp, easily as good as many other more expensive optics. I saw an identical pair in a "reputable optics shop" (i.e. one that wasn't Lidl) on sale for £40.

As noted they are re-badged Bressers. Actually, they aren't. They are Bressers in a re-badged box. When a prism cracked in mine, I got a replacement direct from Bresser on the strength of an email and a picture of the damage.

The light transmission on the 10x20s is a bit low, but I'd put that down to them having a 20mm objective lenses and 10x magnification rather than any particular flaw.

There are over 6000 people who agree with us on the website, so they can,t be that crappy

There are undoubtedly better binoculars out there, but the ones I've had from Lidl were far from the worst. If parallax is percieved to be a problem, the larger ones have adjustment screws for the prisms.

tropper66 said:
walt_of_the_walts said:
tropper66 said:

Considering that the Lidle Brand " Tronic" is made by Bresser I dont understand you, I recently saw an Army sniper in the QDGs with an issue Bresser telescope, I just cant see the point in getting ripped off just for a Gucci name when most of these thing are made in the same Chinese sweatshop, Oh yes, and the word you were looking for was" Paralax" which I have not had a problem with by useing these binos.
The previous pair I had were from Nauticalia, the Yachty people and cost well over a hundred pound and apart from the branding are the same as the £14.99 from Lidle, I know which pair I wont cry over when I drop them in Bristol Channel
Bresser aint a Gucci name anymore, but these Lidl bino's arent even good enough for the Messrs Bresser to put there name on, are they? True they are not the worst out there, but you do get what you pay for.

Chinese optics vary wildly. Look at AGS and Nikko Stirling scopes. Superb ED lenses, which makes you wonder how they do it for the price. Then there are some that are just done at the price and no more.

Well this is how. They don't pay for the expensive labour or safe disposal of the large quantities of very dangerous chemicals and heavy or volatile metals used in the production of Schott quality extra low dispersion glass. The Germans, Swiss, Canadians have to spend a fortune processing the waste, which gets passed onto the consumer as a £500+ pair of binos. The Chinese can and do make them for a hell of a lot less by probably forcing dissidents to eat the waste at gunpoint!

What I'm trying to say is the mid price range can be very good value, and you won't neccessarily get 3 times better performance spending 3 times more.

Lidle branding varies some of the stuff is Tronic and others Bresser, Like the Bresser night vision I got a few months back x5 passive II/IR, with IR built in source, video output for £99 come on , the cheapest I could find on the Bresser website cost twice that, and with a video grabber it works great but is a little fiddly setting up , but who cares at that price

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 0
Legs Gaming and Software 3
BFG 9000 The NAAFI Bar 7