• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

OPTAG

Gimp, that's Mnemonic you're thinking of. A mnemonic (pron.: /nəˈmɒnɨk/,[SUP][1][/SUP] with a silent "m"), or mnemonic device, is any learning technique that aids information retention. Mnemonics aim to translate information into a form that the human brain can retain better than its original form.
Pneumonics are even more memorable. You probably refer to them as "blow jobs".

OPTAG taught me EVERYTHING I needed to know about deploying on operations in Iraq. Unfortunately I was going to Afghanistan but apparently that didn't matter very much.
That must have been for one of the earlier tours. We had the same for H4. I was an instructor at OPTAG from H10 through to H14 and it was totally relevant to that theatre.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Once it was the venue of choice for watching DS getting butt-swiped by Jackets and Padres embarrassing themselves when put in charge of serials involving rioting townsfolk.

Once it was the venue of choice for watching DS getting butt-swiped by Jackets and Padres embarrassing themselves when put in charge of serials involving rioting townsfolk.
The last OPTAG package I did was in 2006. Unfortunately as I missed all the proper build up training due to having a hernia I was with a load of REMF's and two booties who had previously been working an overseas embassy job.

We were astonished by who they were letting "pass" certain stands and voiced our opinions to the DS who made it clear that it wasn't being taken seriously at any level and they'd fired all of this up the chain.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

When you were working there did you go out to theatre and attach to units for short stints to stay current with the latest ttps etc?
Yes. Spent the transition from H10 to H11 with the Grenadiers in Babaji and the transition from H13/14 with my own unit 3 PARA. You're only on the ground for 10 days or so but enough time to get updated on current TTP's. Obviously all this info is passed back to OPTAG UK to be put into practice in the exercises and lessons back there.

Yes. Spent the transition from H10 to H11 with the Grenadiers in Babaji and the transition from H13/14 with my own unit 3 PARA. You're only on the ground for 10 days or so but enough time to get updated on current TTP's. Obviously all this info is passed back to OPTAG UK to be put into practice in the exercises and lessons back there.
I was with 3 scots for H10 and there was one of your guys (think he was a scots CSgt or possibly Sgt) joined my coy for an op in Kandahar who cut about with us watching how we were working, thought it sounded like an interesting job.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Gimp, that's Mnemonic you're thinking of. A mnemonic (pron.: /nəˈmɒnɨk/,[SUP][1][/SUP] with a silent "m"), or mnemonic device, is any learning technique that aids information retention. Mnemonics aim to translate information into a form that the human brain can retain better than its original form.
I'll try and simplify my attempt at bites next time

Trying hard to appear solid while asking what OPTAG means is quite difficult if you know how to spell mnemonic and know what it means and its correct usage

If I'd asked if it was a Three letter acronym it may have worked better but you would have popped up and pointed out there are more than 3 letters........................

facepalm.

OPTAG and RSOI are a bit like Hogwarts School for Wizards. You will be taught all sorts of magic spells and incantations to protect you from the Wizards of The Dark Side, who dress strangely, live in an utter shitehole and don't speak English (And if they do it's usually with a Brummy or Luton accent). If you forget a spell or incantation, or use it inappropriately, bad things can happen.

Not even sure what it means, is it a pneumonic
pneumonic. 1 : of, relating to, or affecting the lungs pneumonic plague : pulmonic, pulmonary. 2 : of, relating to, or affected with pneumonia.

mnemonic a system such as a pattern of letters, ideas, or associations which assists in remembering something.

pneumonic. 1 : of, relating to, or affecting the lungs pneumonic plague : pulmonic, pulmonary. 2 : of, relating to, or affected with pneumonia.

mnemonic a system such as a pattern of letters, ideas, or associations which assists in remembering something.
A thousand fucking facepalms

May I refer you to post #30

I win the longest Bite award. 5 years

Latest Threads