OPSEC WTF? Last Corps journal on Ebay!

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by FNUSNU, Sep 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Surley this is bad for opsec? Ebay Item 6565101938. The last Corps journal! What do you guys think?
  2. no but i do think the price is too high
  3. The price of OPSEC is never too high when the lives on your comrades and families are at stake.

I have dropped the seller a line asking him to consider his options
  4. I think it needs more than that; given that any walt/terrorist/HIS member could purchase it, someone should arrange for the local civpol to go round to the guy's house and confiscate it. Sadly, that's not possible in this day and age, especially when you consider that all Corps and Regimental journals are freely available to the general public through other perfectly legitimate means.
  5. do not underestimate the power of.......

arrse. Seller has just mailed me to say that he has taken item off.

excellenet display of sound judgement Sir !!
  6. He mailed me too after I pointed out it wasn't a good idea to sell it. Pretty good of him to take it off (though not surprising if we all contacted him!!).
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It does raise the question of whether it should be published as an UNCLAS document at all. In reality, there's a lot more in the Rose and Laurel than we would allow in this forum.
  8. Totally agree with you, CPunk, and sadly it's just the tip of the iceberg.
    Remember a couple of years ago when they started publishing the results of all the promotion boards on the Army internet site? It included all Int Corps and R Irish, as well as other sensitive trades.
    I was the guy who got it removed.
    My first attempts at doing it via the chain of command were pretty dismal to be honest; I was met with the response from the very top of "Mind your own business, it's our data and we'll do what we want with it".
    In the end, I had to write to the Information Commissioner as a private citizen, and get him to force the idiots to remove it as it breached the Data Protection Act. (I haven't been promoted since, but I think I'd reached my ceiling anyway)
    It could definitely be argued that these journals breach the DPA in exactly the same way. They are held in electronic form, and the data owner has a duty to protect it under several articles of the act, especially when there is a clear threat to the security of any individuals listed. Releasing them into the public domain (which happens, but I won't say exactly how in this forum) does not make the data protected.
    Would any of the legal chappies like to comment on the feasibility of this?
  9. The Rose and Laurel, an excellent journal although haven't seen it for some time. Difficult problem this. A journal that was total Comsec would be unbelievably boring and fail to meet its primary purpose. I don't see why it can't be given a low security rating like "Restricted".
  10. I'm not saying it has to be given a security classification, Birdie. After all, how would we distribute it to the ex Corps members then? A simple message on the inside cover would suffice. That, and tightening up the circulation to prevent others from releasing it into the public domain.
  11. How about serial numbering each copy of the journal. That way, if they do ever end up where they shouldn't, the mis-guided fool who sold/lost it can be traced and 'educated'. This would prevent the need to protectively mark it but would make people think twice about giving it a wider distribution. What we have to remember, the actual content does not warrant a PM. However, its a question of persec. There are people in our Corps with unique'ish' names who would not be too hard to track down.

Perhaps ICA should be approached with this idea.

As an aside, does anyone know if the Regt have a journal? If so, how do they protect the distribution of it?
  12. They have quite a few, usually found in WH Smiths' etc.
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Exactly: Combat and Survival, Cheesewire Garotte Monthly etc etc :D
  14. I was thinking more of the books, or are they Regimental Annuals?:lol:
  15. In fact, it does not need to be in electronic format to be covered by the DPA now.

All Officer promotion, retirements etc are published and are freely available at the London Gazette. The RN publishes virtually everything you want to know about RN and RM Officers (full name, rank, seniority, appointment plus a bunch of other info in the Navy List. this is publicly available online at the RN Community Website. The RN Bridge Card, which lists all COs of ships and establishments was also released under FOI and can be found on the MoD site here.

To be frank, there's so much info already out there I don't think a few Corps journals are muich of a threat.