Ops In Kosovo? UN medal but no GSM?

Discussion in 'Medals' started by EX_STAB, Nov 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A mate of mine has two medals: OSM Afghanistan and a UN one for Kosovo (correction it's a NATO one). It seemed surprising to me that no GSM/OSM was issued for that considering it was still being awarded for NI.

Any ideas why?

(I of course have no medals having never been anywhere before Stuart starts off again.)
  2. I only got a NATO medal for Kosovo, same for Bosnia.
  3. Bos and Kos were UN/NATO/EUFOR operations. NI was a Brit job.

Hence UN/NATO/EUFOR medals for Bos and Kos, GSM for NI.
  4. Historically though there was a Korean War medal, that was a UN job. Perhaps the scale of that made it different. Bit clearer now mind! :)
  5. Of ****, lets see the medal hunters crying out for an OSM for Bosnia and Kosovo now.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I spent 6 hours in Sarajevo in March 1994. Can I have a GSM please ?????

7. Early Kosovo was NATO, then after the AGRICOLA series came to an end, it was a Pan Balkans medal. I'll be honest I have never seen a UN Kosovo medal on a British Serviceman, mine is very much a NATO one with Kosovo written on the bar.

That is not to say there isn't one, I have never really been that fascinated in it!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. I think the UNMIK medal is authorised for UK personnel but, in keeping with the "one medal per tour" policy, I have not yet personally seen it worn on British uniform.

In appearance it's not so tremendously different from the NATO medal (bronzed metal and blue in the ribbon).
  9. My mistake it is a NATO one.
  10. What about the lads in Bosna when NATO took over from the UN? They wear two medals, and I know one lad who deployed with us to Bosnia, was swung to Kosovo half way through, earning two medals... mainly so he wasn't a dangler when he went on his CC at RMAS.
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And neither Kosovo nor Bos count for the ACSM, AFAIK. TELIC, HERRICK, BANNER do, but Agricola, etc, don't.

Similarly, for HERRICK, you get a NATO medal, but can't wear it - 1 medal per Tour.
  12. Different operations (albeit during one individual's tour) which each qualified for a different medal. You can't qualify for different campaign/operation medals at the same time.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Wear what you want when you leave!
  14. GSM 1962 is no longer awarded for NI.
  15. It was awarded to the end of Op Banner though wasn't it? That would have covered this period.