Ops In Kosovo? UN medal but no GSM?

A mate of mine has two medals: OSM Afghanistan and a UN one for Kosovo (correction it's a NATO one). It seemed surprising to me that no GSM/OSM was issued for that considering it was still being awarded for NI.

Any ideas why?

(I of course have no medals having never been anywhere before Stuart starts off again.)

Bos and Kos were UN/NATO/EUFOR operations. NI was a Brit job.

Hence UN/NATO/EUFOR medals for Bos and Kos, GSM for NI.

Bos and Kos were UN/NATO/EUFOR operations. NI was a Brit job.

Hence UN/NATO/EUFOR medals for Bos and Kos, GSM for NI.
Historically though there was a Korean War medal, that was a UN job. Perhaps the scale of that made it different. Bit clearer now mind! :)

Early Kosovo was NATO, then after the AGRICOLA series came to an end, it was a Pan Balkans medal. I'll be honest I have never seen a UN Kosovo medal on a British Serviceman, mine is very much a NATO one with Kosovo written on the bar.

That is not to say there isn't one, I have never really been that fascinated in it!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I think the UNMIK medal is authorised for UK personnel but, in keeping with the "one medal per tour" policy, I have not yet personally seen it worn on British uniform.

In appearance it's not so tremendously different from the NATO medal (bronzed metal and blue in the ribbon).

I think the UNMIK medal is authorised for UK personnel but, in keeping with the "one medal per tour" policy, I have not yet personally seen it worn on British uniform.

In appearance it's not so tremendously different from the NATO medal (bronzed metal and blue in the ribbon).
What about the lads in Bosna when NATO took over from the UN? They wear two medals, and I know one lad who deployed with us to Bosnia, was swung to Kosovo half way through, earning two medals... mainly so he wasn't a dangler when he went on his CC at RMAS.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
And neither Kosovo nor Bos count for the ACSM, AFAIK. TELIC, HERRICK, BANNER do, but Agricola, etc, don't.

Similarly, for HERRICK, you get a NATO medal, but can't wear it - 1 medal per Tour.

What about the lads in Bosna when NATO took over from the UN? They wear two medals, and I know one lad who deployed with us to Bosnia, was swung to Kosovo half way through, earning two medals... mainly so he wasn't a dangler when he went on his CC at RMAS.
Different operations (albeit during one individual's tour) which each qualified for a different medal. You can't qualify for different campaign/operation medals at the same time.

ugly

LE
Wear what you want when you leave!

A mate of mine has two medals: OSM Afghanistan and a UN one for Kosovo (correction it's a NATO one). It seemed surprising to me that no GSM/OSM was issued for that considering it was still being awarded for NI.

Any ideas why?

(I of course have no medals having never been anywhere before Stuart starts off again.)
GSM 1962 is no longer awarded for NI.

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
It was awarded to the end of Op Banner though wasn't it? That would have covered this period.
Bosnia was UN, and then NATO. People who deployed there during the UN phase and the NATO phase (and the handover) are entitled to wear both medals.

Kosovo was entirely a NATO operation, hence the NATO medal.

When the Bosnia/Kosovo Ops amalgamated, the Pan-Balkans medal was issued. If you had any of the previous NATO (Not UN Bos) medals for either, you could be awarded the Pan-Balkans medal, but not wear it (as it is still a NATO op). If you had not previously served there, the Pan-Balkans medal could be worn.

As these were UN and NATO ops, neither counted towards a GSM/OSM, and neither are days deployed there counted for award of an ACSM.

And neither Kosovo nor Bos count for the ACSM, AFAIK. TELIC, HERRICK, BANNER do, but Agricola, etc, don't.

Similarly, for HERRICK, you get a NATO medal, but can't wear it - 1 medal per Tour.
Which medal is that? I only got an OSM...