OPMI (R)

#1
Can anyone substantiate a rumour that the Int Corps is actively recruiting transferees from a certain trade group within the Royal Corps of Signals? I have heard that Royal Signals Manning and Records are “encouraging” soldiers in a certain trade to seek a transfer to the Int Corps. I am curious as to which Corps could have instigated this, if true; whether it be by mutual agreement, or is the Int Corps once again picking up the flotsam and jetsam of the Signals.

This leads on to the question, is the Int Corps planning to expand its sphere of influence even further? I have heard the term OPMI (R) used, albeit jokingly, on more than one occasion.
 
#3
As i'm currently working with our scaley friends, i can confirm that this rumour is doing the rounds of both capbadges, although we'd heard that this particular signals trade was going to be moved wholesale into the Corps. However, several SNCO's in the trade, when questioned, have stated that this is a load of old b***ocks, and that it has a good few years left in the Signals. That said, some of the more forward looking JNCO's that i know are thinking about transferring, as the job that they do and the job that certain Corps units do are converging rapidly.
 
#4
I don't believe that the Signals are prepared to let the trade go without a fight - certainly not soon anyway.

The Int Corps will (naturally) always aspire to grow in size and dominance of its field. However, whilst there are people on both sides who disagree on the future of the trade, you may have to be content with other developments.
 
#5
doomsayer said:
The Int Corps will (naturally) always aspire to grow in size and dominance of its field. However.....
...history tells us that in this domain that Intention and Capability have never been able to match

...six months at cosford anyone???.....

lions lead by < transeree> donkeys :oops:
 
#6
subbsonic said:
doomsayer said:
The Int Corps will (naturally) always aspire to grow in size and dominance of its field. However.....
...history tells us that in this domain that Intention and Capability have never been able to match

...six months at cosford anyone???.....

lions lead by < transeree> donkeys :oops:
Ahem. A transferee writes...

Some DE officers and overpromoted DE WOs were not exactly a shining example either.
 
#7
FNUSNU said:
I'm having a brain fart, what does the R stand for? Never heard this romour myself.
OPMI (Radio)

CardCheat said:
we'd heard that this particular signals trade was going to be moved wholesale into the Corps. However, several SNCO's in the trade, when questioned, have stated that this is a load of old b***ocks
That'll be the ever-popular Supvr (R)'s putting up a legitimate case to justify their existence. Why is it they are only allowed to supervise radios?
 
#8
Fraser said:
Can anyone substantiate a rumour that the Int Corps is actively recruiting transferees from a certain trade group within the Royal Corps of Signals? I have heard that Royal Signals Manning and Records are “encouraging” soldiers in a certain trade to seek a transfer to the Int Corps. I am curious as to which Corps could have instigated this, if true; whether it be by mutual agreement, or is the Int Corps once again picking up the flotsam and jetsam of the Signals.

This leads on to the question, is the Int Corps planning to expand its sphere of influence even further? I have heard the term OPMI (R) used, albeit jokingly, on more than one occasion.
This doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea. The (L) side of things, because of its original joint status (Op(EW)) was always much more int-focused. The (R) side of things is very artisan, still and a number of the roles performed by that trade are not a good fit for the Corps.

The cultural contrast is fairly extreme at the senior level....
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#9
Can't say if it is true ar not, but it has to be one of the best methods of getting the "Supe's Mafia" spluttering into their brews. It would be nice to take away the powerbase of one of the nastiest, most spineless, back-stabbing............................actually, they might fit in better than first thought :?
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#10
[/quote]

That'll be the ever-popular Supvr (R)'s putting up a legitimate case to justify their existence. Why is it they are only allowed to supervise radios?[/quote]

I met a dyslexic one once - he was known as the Supervisor (Dario)-some of them shouldn't be allowed to supervise an empty cardboard box!!!
 
#11
subbsonic said:
doomsayer said:
The Int Corps will (naturally) always aspire to grow in size and dominance of its field. However.....
...history tells us that in this domain that Intention and Capability have never been able to match
But of course the Int Corps would do it so much better! IMHO you are welcome to the trade, but I am sure that the same problems would affect you as well?

If you are so keen to absorb them - why don't you go ahead and take them?
 
#12
This has been floating round the loop for a while now, even where i am at the momment working in a slime unit! Not heard of the trade title though!
 
#13
I’m not sure that the Int Corps intentionally went looking to absorb the trade; rather the Royal Signals doesn’t have a defined use for it any longer. The Int Corps may have seen this as an opportunity to expand its influence. Clearly the Royal Signals wants to keep its oily pinkie in the int pie, but they do not appear to be considering the interests of their junior tradesmen. The MCM Div can’t just keep putting young LCpl’s into storage in Pembrokeshire.
 
#14
I think the trade members know that their time is numbered, purely because of changes in the way they work. Although that delightful regiment in Pembrokeshire appears to be run for the benefit of that trade, when on ops things soon change. The logical step would seem to be to train up the lingiusts (whose job on the regiment is very similar to that of the trade in question) a bit more, and do away with the trade altogether. The writing is on the wall, as the trade has more personnel than needed, and the majority go to spend most of their time sweeping hangers in west Wales. What odds a CO of that regiment in the near future being Int Corps? It is us who are the important part down there when alls said and done. :D
 
#15
Fraser said:
I’m not sure that the Int Corps intentionally went looking to absorb the trade; rather the Royal Signals doesn’t have a defined use for it any longer.
I am not sure that I agree with your first point - I think that the Int Corps has aspired to absorb the trade for a very long time. As for the Royal Signals no longer having a defined use for the trade, again I am not sure that I agree. The trade is employed in (broadly speaking) three areas. The area that we are referring to here is by far the smallest user of the trade. Therefore it might be more logical to see a split within the trade, with only a small proportion moving across?

Fraser said:
Clearly the Royal Signals....., but they do not appear to be considering the interests of their junior tradesmen. The MCM Div can’t just keep putting young LCpl’s into storage in Pembrokeshire
I think that the CO of the unit would disagree that they are being put into 'storage', he is actually the largest employer of them. How much of their skills they utilise on a daily basis is a different matter. However, you can not expect to be in a deployable unit and have everyone else maintain the vehs, do PT, sweep the garages etc. They are all supposed to be soldiers first - not a special group of individuals that are looked after by others. Out of interest if the unit/trade became Int Corps, who would do the mundane jobs?

CardCheat said:
What odds a CO of that regiment in the near future being Int Corps?
A very, very remote possibility, I would suggest. Unless the CO of one of the MI Bns becomes Royal Signals!

CardCheat said:
It is us who are the important part down there when alls said and done.
Of course it is - just keep repeating it to yourself! :lol:
 
#16
doomsayer said:
Fraser said:
I’m not sure that the Int Corps intentionally went looking to absorb the trade; rather the Royal Signals doesn’t have a defined use for it any longer.
I am not sure that I agree with your first point - I think that the Int Corps has aspired to absorb the trade for a very long time. As for the Royal Signals no longer having a defined use for the trade, again I am not sure that I agree. The trade is employed in (broadly speaking) three areas. The area that we are referring to here is by far the smallest user of the trade. Therefore it might be more logical to see a split within the trade, with only a small proportion moving across?

Fraser said:
Clearly the Royal Signals....., but they do not appear to be considering the interests of their junior tradesmen. The MCM Div can’t just keep putting young LCpl’s into storage in Pembrokeshire
I think that the CO of the unit would disagree that they are being put into 'storage', he is actually the largest employer of them. How much of their skills they utilise on a daily basis is a different matter. However, you can not expect to be in a deployable unit and have everyone else maintain the vehs, do PT, sweep the garages etc. They are all supposed to be soldiers first - not a special group of individuals that are looked after by others. Out of interest if the unit/trade became Int Corps, who would do the mundane jobs?

CardCheat said:
What odds a CO of that regiment in the near future being Int Corps?
A very, very remote possibility, I would suggest. Unless the CO of one of the MI Bns becomes Royal Signals!

CardCheat said:
It is us who are the important part down there when alls said and done.
Of course it is - just keep repeating it to yourself! :lol:
Back in the day, when the Wall was where it belonged and everyone had a job, similar discussions were ongoing in the tactical environment, the aim then being to reduce the numbers of that trade and their supervisory group employed in the tactical environment. Efforts were made to swap out specialists on some isolated detachments with more generic trades - in those days, Royal Signals Radio Operators, a (then) B trade. Not a huge success, but doable. One would assume that role has become more automated and more suitable for remote control, so this is probably something that the Powers That Be are exploring,

There is at least one clear role in Pembrokeshire which is hugely appropriate to that trade and a very poor fit indeed in the Int Corps,

As doomsayer notes, it pretty much has to be a Royal Signals regiment, as the specialist bit will always require bullets, bully and benz. Equally, that regiment has always seen some tension with specialists whining about having to do all the warry stuff, plus work in the garages.

Tough bananas, welcome to the Field Army - that response is still as right as it was when I eventually reasoned my way to giving it as a troopie in 1986.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why the Corps would want to absorb these waifs and strays, past a few individuals. They should remain with their current Corps in their strategic roles and the tactical element should be closely examined with a view to moving as many as possible out of that, to be replaced by cheaper operators and, as doomsayer suggests, transferring a few to the Int Corps.

flash_to_bang has the right of it overleaf when he remarks on the undesirability of a huge influx of Supv R into the Corps. Some of my best mates are Supv R and Tfc Offr (R), but that doesn't mean they're right for my (ex) Corps.

Now I've been out of all that for years, but I am still one of the originals, 11 years in each Corps and proud holder of trade qualifications in all four original disciplines, so my prejudices are at least informed :D
 
#17
I do agree that the likelihood of a new MI Bn being formed in west Wales is a little unlikely. However, I do believe that the Int Corps needs greater representation.

That said there is no getting away from the fact that a number of Int Corps posts are filled with operators from the Royal Signals. I know that this is a paperwork exercise, there are too many soldiers of one CEQ and not enough of another, but the problem still exists. Would the CO of an infantry battalion consider deploying on operations, with 50% of his establishment made up of chefs and drivers? Or for that matter, would the Master Chef deploy with only one RLC Chef and a handful of OPMI (L)’s to cater for a Regiment? No, I think not, and why should they.

I agree that a split within the trade may be necessary. It would also make sense to bring these tradesmen under the OPMI (L) umbrella. Some additional training for OPMI (L)’s, re-badging and retraining the Royal Signals tradesman to (L) status, and hey presto the EWOP trade is being reborn.

Who ever suggested bringing Supvr R’s into the Corps? I thought the plan was to bring the good lads over, and leave the dross with the Signals.
 
#18
doomsayer said:
I am not sure that I agree with your first point - I think that the Int Corps has aspired to absorb the trade for a very long time. As for the Royal Signals no longer having a defined use for the trade, again I am not sure that I agree. The trade is employed in (broadly speaking) three areas. The area that we are referring to here is by far the smallest user of the trade. Therefore it might be more logical to see a split within the trade, with only a small proportion moving across?

This is all well and good, but in all seriousness can the current level of manning in that trade be justified, be it within the Signals or any other Corps? The regiment where most of them are employed makes very little use of their trade skills, and even less so of the Int Corps personnel there. What is the point in all that expensive training if it is only used for two weeks a year on the Regimental exercise? The regiment itself is of an archaic set up that needs to be addressed, and when this happens the role of the principal trades that make it up will come under close scrutiny.
 
#19
Fraser said:
Some additional training for OPMI (L)’s, re-badging and retraining the Royal Signals tradesman to (L) status, and hey presto the EWOP trade is being reborn.
...with precisely the problems that trade had originally. Not everyone has language aptitude, not everyone has the aptitude to learn some of the core Spec Op skills. Trying to fit everyone into one bucket leads us directly back to the nonsense of the Ling(SI)(NLQ).
 
#20
[quote="Glad_its_all_over]Not everyone has language aptitude, not everyone has the aptitude to learn some of the core Spec Op skills. Trying to fit everyone into one bucket leads us directly back to the nonsense of the Ling(SI)(NLQ).[/quote]

There is no denying the issue of linguistic aptitude. The point that I intended to get across, was that the emphasis on the technical aspect of some Royal Signals trade training is no longer necessary. A quick look at the following thread proves that technology has advanced beyond certain Royal Signals trades.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13639

I only wish that Chicksands would teach the young Royal Signals LCpl's to sweep the bays, rather than filling their heads with delusions of grandeur. At present, they arrive in Wales believing that they actually have a career. Recent operations may have proved otherwise.

If a transfer to the Int Corps can give them any glimmer of optimism, then it can only be a good thing.

CardCheat has hit the nail on the head. 'The regiment is of an archaic set up that needs to be addressed'. The current system in Wales is Royal Signals led; almost every Int Corps post is directly subordinate to a Royal Signals soldier. This goes down to individual detachments, the Royal Signals operator occupies a senior post to the Int Corps operator.

Maybe the 'S' in ISTAR stands for 'Signals'.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Davros_the_Dalek Int Corps 33
P Int Corps 31
Davros_the_Dalek Int Corps 36

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top