OPMI(L) or MIL LING

louisrj12

Swinger
Ok lads, just for some hard clarification. If you want to have a role as a linguist with the freedom and possibility for a varied intelligence career, go OPMI(L)?

Ok lads, just for some hard clarification. If you want to have a role as a linguist with the freedom and possibility for a varied intelligence career, go OPMI(L)?
*outdated

If you are dedicated to a career as a linguist, follow the OPMI(L) route.
If you want to pursue a career as an Intelligence Analyst, look to (OPMI).

Do not go into one or the other thinking it's a simple swap - the training afforded you in either precludes you from a simple transfer.

PM me for further details.

Hey team,

Does Sheepay’s original 2012 post still apply for new applicants going for OPMI (L), or has things changed with regards to Chicksands, accommodation, learning and day-to-day?
Really want to be a linguist in the army.
Also what are the core languages?
Thanks

Hey team,

Does Sheepay’s original 2012 post still apply for new applicants going for OPMI (L), or has things changed with regards to Chicksands, accommodation, learning and day-to-day?
Really want to be a linguist in the army.
Also what are the core languages?
Thanks
As I've not started training yet I wouldn't be able to give you information on the other subjects but the Linguist trade is for OPTI now (apologies if I answered that using improper military parlance), believe everything still done in Chicksands for linguists.

I also had a question regarding the languages taught. I understand that the options available are relevant to current interests and conflicts but are you able to choose which one you learn or is that decided for you? Appreciate the help.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
On language selection and preference - candidates will be loaded on courses for languages dependent upon their aptitude and current requirement. I

'm sure you can express a preference, assuming the language you prefer is one you are likely to be able to learn to an adequate standard (see here aptitude), but ultimately the needs of the Service will always outweigh the individual's preference.

Core languages are those for which an operational requirement has been established. Not that helpful, I know, but a quick flick through the papers will probably allow anyone interested to make an educated guess.

Latest Threads