OPMI(L) life

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by prez89, Apr 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

In the same way that there is a day-to-day guide to the OPMI trade, is there anyone who is in a position to give some insight into the OPMI(L)'s day to day life (both in training and also after)?

The only information I can seem to find so far relates to non-linguists.

PM is fine if it has to be kept of the main board.

Thanks.

2. Wine, women and song, young Sir or Miss. Copious amount of leave, more cash than you can shake a shitty stick at and wonderful sunshine postings, plus the company of charming, erudite and witty peers.

Not all of the above may be true, but some certainly is.

3. Where to begin?

As an OPMI(L) you'll undergo a Long Language Course (LLC) which is likely to be either Farsi or Pashto. 18 months of hard graft, which will eat away at whatever spare time you think you're entitled to. Work hard and reap the rewards, which come in the form of language pay and (if the rumours are to be believed) some more "interesting" tasks.

As for

don't get your hopes up. A bitchier environment I've never witnessed. Most likely due to the high proportion of Doris' in the job (both green and blue).

4. On the up-side you'll probably get to fuck some of them (if you are physically strong enough to lift their cankles on to your scratcher).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Phase 1 Basic Training. Straight into OPMI(L) Phase 2 which consists of 18 month Language Course and 4 month Applied Course before being sent to your operational unit. You WILL deploy at some point during your tour, perhaps even twice dependant upon your length of tour. You will be of a very high standard academically and professionally before you are let loose and you will be mentored for at least 12 months upon reaching an operational unit by a senior linguist.
    40 Hour standard working week at your unit which incorporates 2 lots of PT. You will be released for courses and AT. And don't believe what the non-lings tell you!
    If at any point, you are not making the grade academically or vocationally you may be back-coursed or steered into an alternative career stream (ie OPMI) At all times there is support from senior linguists who have done the job for years, sometimes decades, unlike in the past where new linguists never saw a senior linguist for 2 years after joining the Corps. The career progression is not as quick as OPMI, but there is language pay, currently in the £10 a day for medium skilled linguists range. It IS hard work but the rewards can be demonstrative. And to finish, linguistic skill is like hand eye co-ordination. You can train it but some people have it better than others. Plain and Simple!

And if you're just thinking of joining as a linguist.... have you learned a foreign language to A Level or Scottish Higher standard? If not, I'd get learning or look for another trade! The 1st language you learn is nearly always the hardest!

6. Some of what Gladys said is true, though at the time he called me many things that were neither charming or witty, though his choice of vocabulary and ability to blaspheme in at least a dozen languages (several at the same time) were, I guess, erudite!

In all seriousness I see the OPMI(L) guys going through training now (both initially and as upgraders/2nd/3rd languages) and they are certainly better qualified on entry than we were many years ago. They are bright, well motivated and pretty switched on (OK there is the occasional exception but they are rare). So if you aspire to be OPMI(L) expect to have to prove yourself against some stiff competition.

7. Leaving aside my blushes at the sincerity of his tribute - and I should stress that he was actually one of the better ones - I must agree with the old devexwarrior here - the quality of the young folk coming in nowadays, in terms of both academic qualification (which is pretty meaningless at GCSE and A Level standard, frankly) and of general brightness is exceptional. Not sure I'd have made it into the linguist trade if I were to join now.

8. i think this has been said before but I'm not sure many of us would have made it through the gates and of those that did I'm not sure whether any would have made it through trade training.

9. If at any point, you are not making the grade academically or vocationally you may be back-coursed or steered into aneasier career stream (ie OPMI) !

Sorted that for you.

10. That is certainly one of the perks of the trade, the fact that the splitarses outnumber us.
    Saying that, quantity isn't everything . . .

11. Yes, the first language is the hardest. But from what I've seen, being on course with some bods with respectable degrees in foreign languages and having some with nothing past GCSE French, pushing through a four year University degree doth not a linguist make.

12. Buggar off JG.

13. Can an OMPI(L) go straight into SIGINT at stage 3 or would it be more sensible to go in as an OMPI? From what the brochure says SIGINT seems the mos interesting to me,, being an analyst... using a foreign language in that role would really be awesome!

14. if sitting in front of a PC for 8 hours a day, in a room with no windows is your thing, you might also be interested in a career as an RAF Intelligence Analyst.

The only escape and evasion you will need to do is avoiding weekend duties.

Another bonus: you can carry on wearing polyester; Shoe cleaning will still be optional.

15. The annoying part of Int Corps is I don't know what I would be doing in front of that PC all day! If it's what I think, then great. If it's monitoring different frequencies hoping to find some chatter then I will sorely regret it.