Opinions please

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by kes1, Feb 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While reading the 'Look what I received in my inbox' thread, something fallingplate said made me think:

How are 'fresh from training straight to mobilisation' soldiers perceived?

Is it better to go as soon as possible so all training is still fresh in their heads and the enthusiasm is still in abundance?

Or is it better to wait a year or so and gain a bit more experience through exercises etc?

2. depends if you are sending basic trained soldiers or those trained special to arm

3. Post trade training

4. Post some trade training. Unless you really enjoy stagging on.

5. At least after trade training you'll have got a better idea of what is expected of you and whether you'll enjoy being mobilsed

6. In know that RY official policy is that you can't be mobilised for two years from completion of CMSR - idea being to allow time for trade training and for new soldiers to gain experience.

7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I feel uncomfortable with guys going on ops a few months after they pass CIC. As regs have 6 months full time training before they do, i dont like the idea that TA can go in harms way with only a few weeks of training under their belts. To my mind there should be at least 12 months of service including at least one camp, before they are eligible to deploy.

8. From what I hear mate, my mob will be doing a three-month beat-up before deployment, which should sort out those who are a little lacking (or get rid of them before flying out).

Only hear-say mind... not confirmed by any means.

9. chrisg46

Sounds fair, we did similar before Telic 6. I think it depends on what you will be doing in theatre. Force Protection, the standard job for a TA coy on tour is fairly straightforward, but if a ta guy goes out as an IR for a reg combat unit, and can expect to see sustained combat a la Ross Kemp, then more experience is needed IMHO...

10. Agree completely with that mate.

11. So what about say OpMI, Medic, UAV operator (examples, as opposed to Infantry) - Straight from training or experience required?

12. In my opinion ,there should be a minimum of 18 months flash to bang from CIC/Trade Training . We used to operate that time limit as I remember, it gave the FNG's the chance to work within the Coy, get some experience of working in a formation and batter the idiocy out of them.

Then again, we weren't in a situation where bodies were required for OPs quite so urgently.

13. In my experience the purpose of PDT has not been used for "weeding out" as the OC will intend on deploying with every man available.

14. chrisg46

Well i can only really speak about Inf stuff, mainly because these are skills that are not replicated in civvy life. If the individial comes from a certain background (nurses etc for medics, mechanics for VM's, play a lot of xbox 360 for UAV's, according to the adverts! :twisted: ) then less time is needed. Also, if deployed in the rear, then the inexperienced can be overseen by others and not do direct harm. But if deploying to a fob and going out on the ground, then it is your individual skills and drills that increase your chances of keeping yourself and your muckers alive. to my mind, 9 weekends, and a two week camp will not necessarily give you those drills at an instinctive level.
    I admit PDT should, and almost certainly does, vastly decrease the kinks etc, but i just feel uneasy that one day something terrible will happen due to an "inexperienced stab"

15. msr

msr LE

Perish the thought than an inexperienced regular soldier would do anything untoward...

msr