Opinions please.....US Service question

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by escape_to_the_USA, Aug 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

I am a UK Maj living on a post in the US, my wife has asked me to raise an issue that affects her and many of the other spouses on post with the Post commander, a Col.

I am posting an edited version of my first draft please excuse spelling and grmamar mistakes. What I would be grateful for is guidance on the tone and appropriatness of this letter...

The dept in question is Family Advocacy, I tried to hide the unit name and location for obvious reasons.

Thanks

2. I'd like to be able to offer comment, but I have to say I really am not entirely sure what this is on about: As a reservist, we have different support channels to the Regular Army.

I mean, it seems to be well written, though I'm not so sure that most US soldiers know what you mean when you talk about the military covenant. It seems to be a concept far more cemented into the British soldier's frame of reference than that of the US. However, since you're addressing to a colonel, I might be giving him less credit than he deserves.

If you are roled as, say, the 2IC of the Armor School, (That's a billet held by a British Major in Ft Knox, if memory serves) I would not be worried about any transgressions of authority/position. This is the sort of thing which is certainly in the lane of the holder of that position.

NTM

3. Just to be pernickety:

Per se, not per say.

Concise OED Sir!

4. CT,

Thanks for your opinions, the individual is effectively the family advocate...she runs the base playgroup and provides parnting lessons, things like how to use Time Outs, Potty Trg but her main role is intervention to support parents who are struggling. She is/was employed by the Army Community Service and they are proposing using interns to provide the roles that she was providing.

There was a recent case where a child (4yo) went AWOL to a neighbors house without telling the Mum. (The husband is deployed). Initailly the Family Advocate was involved as effectively the Welfare Officer, staying with the Mum whilst the child was missing. Then after the child was located and returned, either the CoC or LE advised that the Mum should recieve some bespoke parenting lessons. One issue that did not exist a few years ago is that the housing is becoming mixed, on my road ranks range from E4 to O6, this weakens the neighbor support network and reduces the chances of indirect interventions by neighbors..

5. Try spelling the first word correctly, or you may not make a good impression.

UK Major? My arrse.

6. Pet peeve of mine, but what is all the Americanised spelling in aid of?

As for as I am aware, the language is still known as English and I am sure the Colonel will have no difficulty understanding it when spelt correctly.

7. It's a first draft posted for content check, not spelling check, as stated - Everyone, even Majors, are allowed to make mistakes in grammar and spelling in drafts.

8. Ottar, interesting observation, I am debated whether to use UK English or US English. I decided that US English was the way ahead. I am requesting support from a senior officer on their patch.

Had I been in Germany and this letter was to a German CO, and assuming my German was good enough I would most certainly write in German. The US is a Foreign country, it has a different culture and history to us, I am a guest, and therefore I act accordingly.

Goon, thanks for your comments, it was a first draft, which literally was written and posted just before I hit the sack last night.

9. This is a very good letter. Have any of the Americans raised the same issue?

10. Yes at least two that I am aware of, both spouses of active duty personnel.

Without wishing to be seen as disrepectful, the majority the customers are enlisted families. One was told by the Post Comd that it was not relevant for discussion at the town hall meeting. There is a degree of fatalism/powerlessness amongst the wives, mine included. Although three of them are talking about organising their own support network/play group etc...

11. Serving across the pond as well and the simple fact is that you have to use US English to get your point across. If you do not, then every 'theatre' grates with your US COC and you risk losing your credibility.

Have had a real issue with use of 'whislt' and 'bespoke' however.

Escape,

Good letter

AY

12. Based on my experience in the US military, for what it's worth - Go ahead and voice your opinion. If it's done well, it's appreciated.

Additionally, things put in writing are MUCH harder to ignore than those just voiced in a phone call or in person.

Good luck!

13. I think its just fine (I'm a yank cadet, not serving, but I have an idea of what works). If it fails, then its because the person who receives it is a pr1ck

14. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

IMHO, since you are an Officer from the UK, the use of typical 'Brit' terms should be expected. I don't think this American COL, wouldn't expect anything different from a Major in the Brit armed forces, especially in a written communication.

As someone, pointed out here it is ENGLISH and I doubt that the COL would have any real difficuly, with understanding a few words that Americans don't normally use and Brits do.

After all you do use those types of terms in your everday conversations, don't you?

I might also note, while I'm at it that sometimes in the American military, the wives themselves handle these types of things, as they are usually pretty well organized on some of our military installions especaiily on issues with their children.

It's surprising how a few words from a few officer's wives, to say this COL's wife can accomplish. ;)