opinions on FR Regiments

Discussion in 'RAC' started by jeffwho, Mar 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of applying to become an officer in a Forward Recce regiment when I leave university soon, and I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on which one in particular.
    I'm from Somerset, I as there isn't an FR regiment that traditionally recruits from there, I'm a bit stuck as to who to apply to. I've read up on the internet and I intend to go on some familiarisation visits at some point but I was wondering if anyone had any particular views on certain regiments that might help.
    When I posted this on the Officers board I was warned off the 9th/12th Lancers. Can anyone support or contradict this view?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Read the bit about the 9/12 Lancers on here, should give you an idea of what the rest of the RAC think of them, which is not a lot

3. Aye, I know two lads in the 9/12 - steer clear.

I'm actually going for QRL, with LD as a VERY close second.

www.tanks.mod.uk will give you all the RAC regiments along the top, and links to their regimental websites.

4. Before you apply to any regiment, research what FR stands for.

5. FR does not = Forward Recce.

9/12L are fine. I wasn't one but its just intra-cav needling. Everyone loves to hate some regiment or other from time to time. Ignore it.

Do some PO visits and see what you think (and what they think of you of course). Getting in to any of the various cavalry regiments as an officer is not a dead cert by any means. You may have to work to convince them to sponsor you.

6. Do no such thing. Trust me, every single one I ever met was a Gareth Hunt.

7. My apologies, I was distracted whilst writing the post.

Thanks for your advice.

8. My apologies, I was distracted whilst writing the post.

Thanks for your advice.

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You actually found some and they were Avengers. No wonder I never saw any, I stopped watching the programme when Emma Peel left and the women stopped wearing leather cat suits. :yawnstretch:

10. QRL would be my choice the others are up and down

11. I'm at university too and was going for a GYC before I narrowly missed it at Main Board. My advice would be to get yourself on some varied regimental visits and make up your own mind about the regiments involved.

In a situation so full of regimental pride, regimental jokes and vested interests it's best to take most advice with at least a pinch of salt and rely wherever possible on your own two eyes.

12. Good Lord, Invictus! Sensible advice? Whatever next?

Are you sure you ought to be posting that on here?

13. Damn, I knew it was too long since my last drink.

I'll retire at once to my remaining bottle of Port, and not return until in a more appropriate frame of mind!

14. QRL are a particularly sound bunch at the moment, they have had good commanding officers for a while and the regiment is in very good shape.

15. The thing about the QRL is that they have only just become a FR Regiment and are still learning the ropes.

Try the Household Cavalry, Light Dragoons, Queens Dragoons Guards all have a good reputation and very busy.