Opinion sought - Coeliacs Disease/Gluten Intolerance

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FoxtrotOscar, May 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am newly dianosed with Coeliacs (actually, tested positive for antibodies but am awaiting the gut biopsy). Very concerned that I will be downgraded and prevented from deploying on ops as Company Commander - this would have a calamitous effect on career......

Symptoms are mild (have the shits most days, nothing more serious), and have managed them for four or five years (was initially diagnosed as IBS). Energy levels fine, run marathons, pass all physical tests, no adverse effect on performance etc etc. What is the score - am I likely to be downgraded?

(I posted the same message in the PQO forum in the hope that a knowledgable ocupational therapist type might respond - as yet this has not happened)

2. Try the Coeliac Society - contact@coeliac.org.uk

My wife is a coeliac and we receive a four monthly newsletter from the society. It's free to join but they do like the odd donation. They also supply a booklet giving all the known gluten-free foods on sale in the UK.

Article from their latest magazine edition regarding army service:

"We know that if coeliac disease develops in people whilst in the army they wil not be able to serve on the front line. But we are also now aware that people who have been diagnosed with coeliac disease before they apply to join may be refused entry and be graded "medically unfit to serve", due to the army being unable to supply sufficient gluten-free foods"

Hope this helps