Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Opinion on Olive green daysack with MTP?

Making the agonizing decision on which daysack to purchase and wondered what the general consensus on olive green daysacks was. If im spending a good bit of money I'd like to be able to use it outside of training, which I could not if it was in MTP.

Also anyone have daysack suggestions? Currently eyeing up the Karrimor SF Delta 35 but no idea if its good or not: Daysack, Karrimor SF, Delta 35, (colour options), Kit Monster
I find the lack of compartments worrying

Making the agonizing decision on which daysack to purchase and wondered what the general consensus on olive green daysacks was. If im spending a good bit of money I'd like to be able to use it outside of training, which I could not if it was in MTP.

Also anyone have daysack suggestions? Currently eyeing up the Karrimor SF Delta 35 but no idea if its good or not: Daysack, Karrimor SF, Delta 35, (colour options), Kit Monster
Buy a civvy daysack for use in your own time and use issue tissue for work. Everybody carries too much cr ap in their daysacks.

The nice issued black one covers all bases surely?

Best bit of kit I've ever been issued.

Getting black bag issue prior to Herrick 7 all the kit was laid out in the gym and once checked off we packed the black grip and daysack. I pulled the drawstring tight on the daysack and ripped off the entire drawstring ring from around the top of the daysack.

Looking incredulously at the torn remains in my hands I asked the RQ if I could have another one.

"No."

Cheers you miserable Jock twat.

They're utter tonk. Whoever thought that they were ever fit for purpose and bought them into service should be shot. It's worse than a Vango or a Millets own daysack.

To the OP, buy a decent civvy one. There's nothing worse that cutting about in OG or black kit when in civvies. Unless you're a Para on the piss circa 1980 ... and 1990 ... and probably most of 2000.

I bought a OG Karrimor Predator day sack for fishing. Very very well made, comfy and bombproof. I have the PRI version in MTP for green work. The quality is crap compared to the Karrimor version. Thinner material, inferior zips, no waist strap, lid does not have the Velcro seal so leaves a big gap when closed etc etc.

However, as said, far too much crap gets carried in a daysack, so I bought myself a smaller Helikon Ratel for day to day use (both in uniform and out) and it does the job well. Loads of compartments and pockets to organize "stuff", removable padded waist strap for when webbing is worn, quick release buckles etc etc.

Not the same quality as Karrimor SF but far superior to the issue PRI daysack.

I bought a OG Karrimor Predator day sack for fishing. Very very well made, comfy and bombproof. I have the PRI version in MTP for green work. The quality is crap compared to the Karrimor version. Thinner material, inferior zips, no waist strap, lid does not have the Velcro seal so leaves a big gap when closed etc etc.

However, as said, far too much crap gets carried in a daysack, so I bought myself a smaller Helikon Ratel for day to day use (both in uniform and out) and it does the job well. Loads of compartments and pockets to organize "stuff", removable padded waist strap for when webbing is worn, quick release buckles etc etc.

Not the same quality as Karrimor SF but far superior to the issue PRI daysack.

I would second that. I have a Karrimor trail 35 superwick which has lasted me going on 15 years now..... Very good quality make.

I have a Berghaus centurio in OG thats served me pretty well for the last 2 years.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I had one of the original Berghaus Munro's. Only threw it out 3-4 weeks ago as the mice had nibbles away a corner. That must have been 25 years old.

3x Berghaus Munros for me:

1x DPM version thats still going after 30-odd years of really hard service.
1x Blue version, that died when I carried a car battery across Moscow (it leaked acid, badly...)
1x OG version, new kid on the block thats giving No1 a rest.

Karrimor SF are the best IMHO. I have been using a Predator 30 in Coyote Tan for army stuff and for hiking for the last 3 years. The colour is suitable for both, as is Olive Green. The quality is second to none, its bombproof. The design is very flexible, and allows extra pouches to be added, and stuff to be strapped to the sides if necessary. It also has side compression straps so that half full loads don't bounce around.

I never liked the design of the Sabre 35, as it cannot be compressed for smaller loads, but the quality is still great. The side pockets are handy, but I have overcome this by putting MOLLE pouches on my Predator 30.

I also have the issue PRI 45 Litre daysack in MTP, but have added a waist-strap and a Velcro strip on the lid to overcome the issues listed above. Most of the time it is too big, so it doesn't get used that often.

I've just bought a Sabre 30 in OG for my son to use in the Scouts. It is simpler, than the predator, and will be plenty big enough for him.

My advice would be to get an OG daysack (Karrimor SF Predator or Sabre 30), and if the Badge complains on exercise, get an MTP daysack cover from Ebay.

I bought my Karrimor Sabre in OG as a Trooper and its still in daily use.

To give you some idea of how long its been in service my Troopers number was 2494

YM